Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Campaign "lockdown"

This may be on the roadmap already, and just a factor of being in beta, but the other day one of my players pinged me on Gmail chat and said "Hey, I'm in the campaign checking it out; what do I do?" This is not a problem, except that I wasn't in the campaign, and I didn't know that someone had gone in - actually, I didn't realize it was always live if the GM wasn't there. I would like to suggest that there be a checkbox on the campaign page that just says "Closed" or "Locked" or something, so that you can prevent others from signing in when you're not ready to play (or so you can allow it, if you need to play asynchronously for whatever reason). I know that as of now, players can't do much at all with tokens or what-have-you except move them, so there's not a lot of damage that can be done. What might work is this: 1. Be able to simply lock the campaign to prevent access, and 2. Set a notification method - e.g., if I leave a campaign unlocked, and someone checks in, have it email me saying "Player Q has just signed on to your campaign Barbarians of the Tabletop . Click here to open the campaign, or here to notify the player that the campaign is currently closed, and sign them out." (or something like that). Basically, I'd like to be able to determine when someone can be signed into a campaign, and know if someone is there, if possible. Thanks!
I plan to put a "splash screen" page that says when the next game will be and move the players' current view flag onto that page when the game is not in session. I could add whatever useful information I want to that page, such as "break time! take 5, meet back at 1600" or "next game Saturday 0200 zulu" or whatever.
Not sure what plans we have for this currently. I know the developer team regularly just kind of ends up in one of our campaigns hanging out. I really like Kerry's thoughts on this. But we'll be listening to feedback on this.
I have the same thing setup, a splash screen with some text describing important campaign details (stats array, book restrictions, etc) and just keep the players flag there unless we're playing.
I have also done the same thing with a world-map page. Not that most of my players log in when I'm not there, but I typically send out the link via email in advance and they may log in before I do when we're planning on playing. A recap handout in everyone's journals and some appropriate lounging music could set the scene as well. My players also have a sort of room at an inn now that is there home base, so I may start putting them there on first login...
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I actually like that they can log in without me being around. This way they can browse thru the handouts and find hidden clues.
The world map idea is a really good one and not one I'd thought of (its just a test campaign at the moment, which is probably why!)