Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Custom 3D Dice

I know I have seen similar discussions as this one but couldn't find a thread on the Suggestions section so I'm making one. It would be awesome if we could import our own pictures to be used as the sides of the 3D dice. In one since it would be cool because you could make your own custom sets, custom colors and what not and they could be sold in the marketplace. The main reason though is that more and more games coming out are using slightly (in some cases vary) customized dice. Off the top of my head: - FATE uses custom sided dice (can just use numbered die but makes it easier to see them as custom) - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition -The new SW: Edge of the Empire -The new The One Ring (Can use numbered die but again would be easier to use the custom die) -Im sure there are more I'm not thinking of Seems to me that this is becoming more of a trend for newer games. Sometimes you can just use regular die and just have a reference table to see what each number means but that just gets slow and clunky. With the 3D dice it provides a very good opportunity to be able to make your own custom sides. With keeping in the roll20 being able to run any system for any group mentality I think this would be a big stepping stone in that goal as it isn't just one or two games moving that way. Ideally it would be great if we could upload a picture onto the die face mapping it to one of the numbers as a replacement (Map a picture of a horse to the 2 on a d6 so it shows up instead of 2). Thanks for listening, wonderful program so far, keep up the excellent work.
I'd be curious to know what software is used? Theoretically it could be done by making each face texture a variable. That is, if you're using an image texture on the mesh. Biggest issue would be storage and you'd most definitely need to cap image sizes. This makes me feel like making a 3D dice roller in Python now. Just for the fun of it.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Alexis, each face of a die is its own texture image. Whatever texture faces up when a die is rolled is how Roll20 figures out the value of the roll result. Storage space probably wouldn't be an issue. The trick with these textures is you have to make sure you keep them very small, otherwise it's going to slow down your client browser to a crawl whenever you start rolling the bones.