Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Add page option: diagonal distance

Hey all. This is my first post. Yay! My suggestion is to add a control on the page options to allow for diagonal distances to calculate as 1.5 the distance of a horizontal or vertical distance. See my two pictures below; I'm using one of my pages as an overland map (we're playing Dark Sun and the players have their own siltskimmer pirate ship). Note here that the horizontal distance shows as 80 miles. And note here that the diagonal distance also equals 80 miles. In reality, the sailing distance to Altaruk should be 120 miles. So yeah. A choice to enable real diagonal distances would be preferable for this kind of purpose. I think D&D 3e players would also prefer it as those rules stipulate that travelling diagonally from one square to another counts as 1.5 squares.
This would be an incredibly useful feature. The deficiencies of the measurement tool, and the fact that the measurement tool isn't a function of the move tool, is one of my group's barriers to entry. Essentially, I want to measure distance and move my party like we do in MapTool.
Essentially, I want to measure distance and move my party like we do in MapTool. I would like that too.
I don't frequent the suggestions forum very often, but every time I do I see a brand new post requesting a functional distance measurement tool. If you have a tool designed to measure distance, and the value it returns can be off by more than 40% (worse than any reasonable guess) you don't have a working tool. Would it be so hard to change the label value from: max(abs(xa-xb), abs(ya-yb)) to sqrt((xa-xb)*(xa-xb)+(ya-yb)*(ya-yb)) ? I would go so far as to suggest that the tool should have two labels. Above the pointer display changes rounded to the nearest square for folks who wish to use some approximate formula (like adding half the smaller value, ala DnD double every other diagonal) X across, Y down Below the pointer display an accurate value, not snapped to grid, and accurate to two decimal places based on the unit of measure of your map, for those who want a measuring tool that measures accurately. Z.zz units
I'm adding a vote to this request. It was the first thing that my players noted in their exploration of the site last night during our first on line session.