Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Critical hits

OK, I've got a set of abilities that give me the results I want when I use my weapons ....... apart from when I roll a critical. How can I create an element which detects a maximum roll ( there must be something inbuilt which recognises min and max rolls because the colour of the box changes) and then rolls an additional damage dice?
CS  and CF 1d20cs5   will highlight green on any "5" rolls. 1d20cs>18 will highlight green on any 18-20 rolls. 1d20cf1 will highlight red on any 1 rolls 1d20cf<5 will highlight red on any 1-5 rolls 1d20cf<2cs>18 will highlight red on 1-2 rolls and highlight green on 18-20 rolls 1d20cf0cs21 will never highlight (since you can't roll a 0 or a 21)
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Dave L. said: How can I create an element which detects a maximum roll [...] and then rolls an additional damage dice? Some Roll Templates , which may be provided by the community Character Sheets, possess the capacity to automate this process (i.e. through the rollWasCrit helper function ). Otherwise, generic macros do not possess such a capacity, yet the API does.
Is there a way to do Critical Success and Critical Failure with multiple dice? I am using the HERO System and the standard dice roll is 3d6.  A roll of three 1's is a Critical Success and a roll of three 6's is a Critical Failure. 

Edited 1446852696
Only in so much as 3 and 18 are the limits. 3d6cs3cf18 but it can't check each die. Edit - it doesn't work that way because any three is a success

Edited 1446852994
Thank you. :) Yeah, I was having trouble getting to show the result of all three dice as the Critical green or the Failure red colors.  It still shows each individual die rolled as either a 1 or 6 as green and red, respectively.
Silvyre said: Dave L. said: How can I create an element which detects a maximum roll [...] and then rolls an additional damage dice? Some Roll Templates , which may be provided by the community Character Sheets, possess the capacity to automate this process (i.e. through the rollWasCrit helper function ). Otherwise, generic macros do not possess such a capacity, yet the API does. OK, then I need to learn a WHOLE lot more about macros, as I can't seem to make that do what I want. ALSO! When I select the result of a sheet based macro (showing the mechanics of the macro), just WHAT is all that about? I can't interpret WHAT those macros are doing! :(
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Dave. I'm not sure if anyone pointed our wiki pages about  macros out to you but there is some good solid information you can read. Dave L. said:  ALSO! When I select the result of a sheet based macro (showing the mechanics of the macro), just WHAT is all that about ? I can't interpret WHAT those macros are doing! :( (I bolded a specific section) When you hover over the results of a roll and they display all those numbers, those are the results of each individual component of the macro. Example below of a random macro: [[1@{selected|weapon1damage} + (d0 +@{selected|weapon1damagestat}[Weapon1DamageStat] +@{selected|weapon1enh}[Weapon1 Enh] +@{selected|weapon1specialize}[Weapon1 Specialization]) + (d0+?{Other Damage Bonus?|0}[Other Damage Bonus])]] + [[d1*ceil(@{selected|level}/2)@{selected|weapon1damage}]] Now each of those parts of the marco will show up in the results as either a 0 or a number. Some sheets are so complicated due to their automation of rolls that you might have 30+components to the roll. Sorry I can not be of further help but there are some wonderful people here that can help you with more specifics about macros.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Pat S. said: Dave. I'm not sure if anyone pointed our wiki pages about  macros out to you but there is some good solid information you can read. +1. Also, you might want to try playing "spot the mechanic" with the guidance of the Dice Reference page .
I have checked the Wiki and I don't see anything that indicates that modifying the Critical Success and Critical Failure doesn't work with multiple dice.  However, I am having difficulty figuring it out myself.   I want to roll 3d6 and have the Critical Success (green) be equal to 3 (a roll of three 1's) and have the Critical Failure (red) be equal to 18 (a roll of three 6's). Essentially, this...  /r 3d6cs3cf18 It seems that the Critical Failure and Critical Success number is being compared to each individual die in the dice expression rather than being compared to the result of the multiple dice in the expression.  So, each die that rolls a 3 is shown as green, and it will never show red since each individual d6 cannot roll an 18. I would appreciate a definitive answer from someone at Roll20 if this functionality works with multiple dice or not.  If it does work, could someone please show me how to properly write the expression so that it functions right?
It does not. To get something to highlight on a roll of three or eighteen, using multiple dice... requires an API script.
Cool, that's what I surmised but wanted to be sure.  Thanks, HB. :) 
Drohem said: Cool, that's what I surmised but wanted to be sure.  Thanks, HB. :)  A script to do what you want, would be pretty easy. I made this for my TAG rpg in an afternoon. It looks for doubles on the d6's and colors them as needed.