Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Token Facing

Was going to put this in as a 'Bug', but it's nothing technically wrong - just something I noticed that is just a bit annoying but fixable. When I do restricted light (player emits light at less then 360 degrees ie 25 focused forward view as a flashlight would show) the light points to what I assume is the 'front' of the token and points at the 'spinny arm' side of the token. I can accept this and have no issues. What I HAVE noticed is that almost every character/monster token that I lay down is literally facing backwards to that (visually). If I do a flip vertical - then I have left handed folks facing to 'see' as the light shows. I follow that with a flip horizontal if I need right handed people. Is there a reason that tokens don't default face to 'forward'?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Token facing is simply a facet of how the image was drawn. The light angle is always centered around "up" when the token is not rotated. Many tokens on the Marketplace were created before light angles were even a feature, and so had no reason to take them into account, and tokens grabbed from the internet have no connection to Roll20. Any token on the Roll20 Marketplace which was created after light angles were added as a feature and which does not face up is something you can simply complain to the artist about. ~_^
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi John.  Would Aaron's script help? [Script] Facing - Facing indicator for tokens I haven't used the script so I'm not sure if the LOS adjusts with the indicator.  
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: Hi John.  Would Aaron's script help? [Script] Facing - Facing indicator for tokens I haven't used the script so I'm not sure if the LOS adjusts with the indicator.   That script appears to be for maintaining facing when using tokens that don't lend themselves to facing: portraits/pogs, as opposed to top-down tokens. You don't want to rotate the character's portrait, but you still want to show that the character is turning. In fact, that script explicitly set's the master token's rotation to 0, meaning the dynamic lighting angle will point up. I suppose you could put the lighting angle on the slave token, but that doesn't sole the problem of the master token not pointing in the same direction as the DL angle (since the master token wouldn't be rotating at all).