Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Living Campaign (D&D4e) Looking for DMs (Training Provided)

So you want to be a DM?  Awesome.  You are a hot commodity indeed (At least that's what the ladies say) ! One of the downsides to being a DM though is that people expect you to know everything about the game, make interesting adventures off the top of your head and be able to manage a room full of cats with ADHD effectively. That is where we come in.  I'm one of the DMs in a "Living Campaign".  We currently have 4 DMs and 70 players running 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons.  We are currently looking for more DMs so we can have more games running throughout the week. So what's a "Living Campaign" and what is so good about it?   Living Campaigns are ones where a lot of stories and plotlines are loosely connected by a core principle of adventure and some basic rules which the DMs and players abide by when running their sessions.  Living Campaigns have games when the DMs are available and players who are of the appropriate level are available.  This means for the DMs and players there is no scheduled time commitment (For those of us that can't do 'every Thursday' games), a ready supply of players, and a lot of freedom to do your own thing.  While some of the games are one-shots in nature, many of the games will carry over story archs, putting Living Campaigns into the niche between "one-shots" and "Ongoing Campaigns". What days/times do you play?  That is completely up to the individual DM.  The 4 current DMs run games at radically different times of the day and week and with varying frequencies.  We have one DM that runs on weekends around 5PM PST.  Another that does Wednesdays around 6pm EST.  A Third who runs at 11AM PST and sometimes in the evenings PST time. The last, yours truly, runs games on request from people in different time zones when they have a free day.  If you are a DM you can pick what day and time to play.  You will be surprised at who will show up for a living game at 5pm UTC. Yeah, but I know literally nothing about 4e...   That's perfectly fine.  We aren't going to throw you in front of a bus and/or stampede of oncoming players.  People interested in running games are first integrated into the guild with the new players so they can get a good feel for the style/group/system.  The veteran DMs are very responsive to questions and can help get you from starry-eyed noob to grizzled veteran in a relatively short amount of time. Alright, you didn't quite bore me to death, link me to your LFM page...  Right now we can't afford to take any more new players who are not interested in DMing.  We have a core group of solid players and it wouldn't be fair to invite more players without the potential of having new DMs.  There are only so many of us afterall.  If you have questions feel free to ask here.  If you are interested in joining and trying things out, toss me a message.
I love living campaigns and I enjoy DMing too, I can probably DM once a week, but my timezone is GMT+7, is this a problem?
Will not be a problem at all Wisnu.  We have atleast 2 people that are in that time zone and some others who are in different ones who would be up for games at that time.
Is there a 5e verson of this, I wish I could practice DMing.
Not with us. You could try to find the adventurers league online group though
Still looking for 1-2 interested DMs (or people willing to learn of course).
I might be interested.
What do you need to know to get you from 'might' to actually interested?
How character creation is handled, house rules, etc. The campaign setting itself.

Edited 1448144324
Characters start a level 5 with 4500gp to spend instead of normal items.  Use all the basic rules and official materials.  Houserules are at a minimum.  The setting is that everyone is part of an adventuring guild and then you can go from there to any setting you want.  Its designed to be nebulous for different DMs to do what they want. The Living system has a loot system built into it, but it can be flexible.  We keep house rules to a bare minimum (usually just to clarify things). Edit: We do houserule in a free expertise feat at 1.  Forgot about that.
Bump.  Still looking for a DM or two.
This will be the last bump for a while.  The campaign added two new people interested in DMing.  More is always better of course, and we have almost 90 players now so more DMs to let more people play would be great, but the need is less dire. If anyone is interested just toss me a message or post here.