Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Savage Worlds dice macro

Does anyone know of a way to get the {d8!, d6!}k1  Trait | Wild  macro to display the number of successes and raises?  For example, a basic trait test has a Target Number of 4.  Rolling a 4 on either die and keeping the highest = Success!  and every increment of 4 over that success equals a Raise.  Is there a way to write the macro so it does this calculation automatically?    Secondly, when characters engage in melee combat the standard TN goes from 4 to their Parry.  Is there a way to set this up as an attribute and have the macros calculate the Parry as well as the each success and raise on the roll?
Gauss
Forum Champion
At this time no, you cannot have the dice roller calculate incremental successes (or raises). My guess is that the API can do this until such a time when the Devs work on the dice roller again. Regarding your second question, yes, you can set an Attribute up as the target number. /roll 1d20<@{character name|attribute name} would be an example. However, it would only calculate the number of successes and not the raises (see previous answer). - Gauss
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss said: ... My guess is that the API can do this until such a time when the Devs work on the dice roller again.... I would rephrase that as its a bit misleading, although the link alludes me at the moment but Riley has stated in the past that the reason he made the API is because firstly its not feasible to add things like the SW dice (as well as the many other dice systems that are only used for one game) into Roll20 and secondly he didn't want to make a more complicated macros system. Just being a realist here don't want to give the OP some false hope that someday it will be added, because the idea of adding a dice system only used in one game sort of goes against the core idea of system agnosticism. Savage Daddy: If you do decided to go down the API route and get a mentor sub then just jump over to the API forum and request a script for what you need if you don't know how to do it your self the community is generally very helpful. Alternatively I would expect there are external apps around that will do the job.
Alex L. said: Gauss said: ... My guess is that the API can do this until such a time when the Devs work on the dice roller again.... I would rephrase that as its a bit misleading, although the link alludes me at the moment but Riley has stated in the past that the reason he made the API is because firstly its not feasible to add things like the SW dice (as well as the many other dice systems that are only used for one game) into Roll20 and secondly he didn't want to make a more complicated macros system. Just being a realist here don't want to give the OP some false hope that someday it will be added, because the idea of adding a dice system only used in one game sort of goes against the core idea of system agnosticism. Savage Daddy: If you do decided to go down the API route and get a mentor sub then just jump over to the API forum and request a script for what you need if you don't know how to do it your self the community is generally very helpful. Alternatively I would expect there are external apps around that will do the job. I would definitely say the API is a great candidate for doing this type of system calculation. However, this type of logic (commonly referred to as degree of success) is used by multiple systems out there besides Savage Worlds. In the end a degree of success system needs a target number and an increment to check how many "degrees" past the original target number you succeeded by. The various Warhammer 40K RPGs for instance use something similar for every 10 you succeed the target number by. In the end it is up to Riley what features make it into the core dice roller, I just wanted to make it clear that sometimes something that seems applicable to just one system could be applied to many more if you look at what the logic is doing at the system level.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Degrees of success is used in Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition also.