Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting- Leave Discovered Areas Visable

Hello All, My players love the dynamic lighting feature, but they want to leave the parts of the maps they have been through revealed so that backtracking is less confusing. I see their point, and would agree if it were my PC. Is this possible? How would I go about making this happen? Many thanks.

Edited 1449160620
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The easiest way to do this is to have a journal set up with an invisible default token that is controllable by all players and sheds light visible by all (also needs to have 'has sight' ticked too). You can add a small aura visible only to the DM too to help you find the tokens. As the players explore you can drop a token from the journal every now and again to keep things visible, the only draw back is that if you want to add more monsters behind them you'll need to keep them on the GM layer until the players would see them again.
There are a number of suggestions asking for something like this to work with fog of war, but they haven't been implemented yet.  One way to handle it though would be to eliminate dynamic lighting walls between where the players are and where they've been.  This wouldn't work in a maze but in something a little more linear it'd be doable.
Let me pose another viewpoint. If you walk out of the room you are in and close the door, can you still see inside the room? Part of the challenge is to be able to maneuver about in a virtual setting. I would tell them to make a map, or a set of rudders. This also allows you to change stuff to mess with them. Other solutions would be, allow them to make ONE mark at each turn using their paintbrush tool, (you can erase or change them if you want to toy with your victims um players), they can leave breadcrumbs, torches, coins, whatever, (and you can fiddle all of these things about a bit). I will also sometimes give them a map, (with errors) in advance.