Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC avatar on d&d sheets

Is there a way to display or show an npcs avatar to the players. I use round tokens and you can only fit so much in them. I can fit a much larger pic in the avatar box. It would be nice to be able to show the pcs the avatar picture when they first encounter a mob token. If I hover over the token and press z it just shows an enlarged version of the token. Why have the npc avatar pic at all? I hope I'm missing something.  Thanks in advance, Rob 
I usually use handouts with the avatar to accomplish this since you can use the "Show to Players" button there. Alternatively you can drag the image from your art library into the DM layer (I think) or just an area of the map they can't see, select it and do Shift+Z

Edited 1449258603
Thanks. I'm aware of those two work arounds but i've got my librairy with mobs saved in it and tokens associated so it'd be nice, and less griefy if I could just drag the token on and them be able to click on the token and view the avatar. I mean why even have the avatar on NPC sheets. I imagined this was the whole point in the z button but was disappointed when it just made bigger what they could already see. I don't want the whole npc/mob on the token, the tokens would have to be bigger for a start, but the pcs being able to see a full image of him/her/it, so the world isn't just full of floating heads and shoulders, would be cool. 
i don't know if this helps anyone else but this was discussed here. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1828542/can-you-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1828542/can-you-</a>... It's not exactly what i was hoping to achieve but its half-way there.

Edited 1449259720
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I use a api script called 'portrait' that Aaron did - it sets up a simple command to show the avatar picture in chat with a slight shadowbox around it to set it apart. works perfect. Does require Pro status by at least the GM though... //version: 1.0 aaron //use !char-pic to show a character's portrait in chat. //!char-pic @{target|Who?|character_id} on('ready', function() { &nbsp; &nbsp; on('chat:message', function(msg) { &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;if (msg.type == "api" && msg.content.indexOf("!char-pic") !== -1) { &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;var charid =msg.content.split(' ')[1]; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;var c = getObj('character',charid); &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;if(c) { &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;var fPart = "&lt;div style='margin-left: -20px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px #000; padding: 0px; border: 2px solid #000; border-radius:5px; overflow: hidden;"; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;var Pic = fPart + "background-color:#FFF;'&gt;&lt;img src='" + c.get('avatar') + "'&gt;&lt;/div&gt;"; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sendChat('', "/direct " + Pic); &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; } &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;}; &nbsp; &nbsp; }); });
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Also you can drag a copy of the pic used for the avatar to a hidden part of your map ahead of time, then you can ctrl-z that image for your players so they can see the whole thing as opposed to seeing only the token.

Edited 1449263762
Thanks DK. That macro would be on the money but can't get the macro to work, does it work with the shaped D&D character sheets?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Robert A. said: Thanks DK. That macro would be on the money but can't get the macro to work, does it work with the shaped D&D character sheets? The command should be something like !char-pic @{selected|character_id} &nbsp;with the desired token selected (with a token that's linked to a character).
Silvyre
Forum Champion
The script doesn't require that a Character use Character Sheets ; only that a Token represents a Character . To use the script, you must first install it .
Thanks, this now works awesomely.
Gold
Forum Champion
DK Heinrich said: Also you can drag a copy of the pic used for the avatar to a hidden part of your map ahead of time, then you can ctrl-z that image for your players so they can see the whole thing as opposed to seeing only the token. Slight correction, on this technique, this would be SHIFT-Z not cntrl-z.
I've no idea why, but this script seems to have stopped working. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong. it worked with the above script previously. It seems to work as before but when you choose the token to click no picture is displayed Thanks //version: 1.0 aaron //use !char-pic to show a character's portrait in chat. //!char-pic @{target|Who?|character_id} on('ready', function() { on('chat:message', function(msg) { if (msg.type == "api" && msg.content.indexOf("!char-pic") !== -1) { var charid =msg.content.split(' ')[1]; var c = getObj('character',charid); if(c) { var fPart = " "; sendChat('', "/direct " + Pic); } }; }); });
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Robert A. said: It seems to work as before but when you choose the token to click no picture is displayed Are the tokens you're choosing representing Characters that have portraits uploaded?
Yep, they are tokens linked to character sheets and the sheets have avatar pics uploaded.

Edited 1451767452
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
It might be a temporary issue with the API. &nbsp;I just tried my copy... it didn't appear to work and then it finally started working properly. &nbsp;I didn't have any errors in the api console either. &nbsp;So, maybe keep trying. &nbsp;;-( &nbsp;The servers seem to be a little glitchy right now as well... <a href="http://status.roll20.net/" rel="nofollow">http://status.roll20.net/</a> &nbsp;&nbsp;
I went back a tried just now and it worked. I guess it was a temporary issue. Thanks