Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Constructive and Much Needed- Everyone is Looking for a DM

I’m looking for a DM. You’re looking for a DM. We’re all looking for a DM. The sad reality of it is that 9/10 of us are not going to find a DM. We want someone else to do all the legwork and allow us to enjoy the spoils of their hours of labor. Some of us looking for a DM even want to be the one to set the dates, times, game systems, house rules, who the players are, etc. Worst of all, 99/100 times we offer them nothing in return. Maybe the “privilege” of letting them run a game for us. Does this post belong in the ‘Looking for Group’ forum? Absolutely. Why? Because I am looking for DMs, but these DMs I am looking for are YOU , the players requesting a DM or group. I know many of you have it in you to run your own game. You may be a beginner. You may be nervous. You may have had a DM ditch your game and leave half a dozen players hanging. None of that matters. Be the one to pick up the pieces. Buckle down, do the reading and run the best session (or campaign) you can. It may be shaky at first, but I guarantee things will get better. You’ll develop as a DM just as you would have as a player. Then you’ll be the one in the driver’s seat. This goes especially for those of you that have terms about game types, times, etc. To continue the stupid driving analogy: You are trying to drive from the backseat. What motivation does the driver have to listen to you? Why are you even in the car? As a DM of many years and many systems, I challenge all of you to step up and run a game. It doesn’t have to be perfect. It doesn’t even need to be serious. What is does need to be is a foot in the door to the next step of tabletop RPGs. The alternative is often going to be waiting for DM/game, sometimes indefinitely. Roll20 is hemorrhaging players. You can get dozens of applications in a day. Don't be another application. Be the one to screen the applications. Step up. Run a game. Make it stick. No more looking for DMs. Thank you for reading and best of luck in what is hopefully your next game.
This actually doesn't belong here. At all. It's also a discussion that occurs frequently. It doesn't change that people are looking for DMs. Sorry man, you're preaching to an empty church.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. A better place for this discussion would be /r/Roll20 .