Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can't select token for special effect

I'm able to select my own token and apply the /fx burn command but I want to apply it to a target token other than me. As a player, I cannot select another token with the exception of the @{target... command. But the two commands seem to be mutually exclusive. I tried a macro /fx @{target|target1|token_name} burn which didn't work, then a variant, @{target|target1|token_name} /fx burn Nope. Any ideas or am I hooped?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The /fx command will only work with selected tokens. Of course, the effects system is kinda designed for GMs rather than players, anyway. Player access to /fx might  even be a mistake; I haven't seen official word on that.
The documentation explicitly says that it is for pro or plus users or players in a game created by pro or plus users. I don't know where you got the idea it was GM only. The issue as both of us pointed out is that players cannot select tokens they don't have control over (like the monsters) to execute the command. But players can do amazing stuff with the @{target command. Perhaps I will drop a suggestion in the suggestion box only I wouldn't have it target a token but a spot on the map. In the meantime, it is just fluff (but really cool fluff).
It is not a finished feature at all.