Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Limits on die rolling

Hello there.  This is my first post on the forums.  I just discovered this site a few days ago, and I've been toying around with it in preparation for a Pokemon Tabletop Adventures campaign that I plan to run for a few friends.  One thing that I noticed is that certain die rolls do not work.  For example, I want to roll 1d8192 in order to determine if a wild pokemon is shiny, but it just comes up as 1 each time and the number is red.  Are there any other such limits on the dice roller?
I believe the highest you can roll is a 9,999-sided dice, so that should work...however after testing it, and this is very odd, 8,192 sided dice don't seem to work. 1d8191 work, and 1d8193 work, but not 1d8192. I'll have to investigate this further...
It seems that 2,048, 4,096, and 8,192 all have this problem. Since those are all multiples of each other, I'm sure it's probably a bug someplace. I'll keep looking.
Wow, I have terrible luck.  Thanks, though.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Masaioh , until Riley fixes the bug you can do the following:  /roll (1d8-1)*1024+1d1024 This will roll a value between 1 and 8192. - Gauss
In the meantime you could just do /roll 1d8193 and ignore any 8193's that are rolled :-)
Gauss
Forum Champion
LOL, or that. :) You could even do /roll 1d8193r8193 and itll reroll any result of 8193. - Gauss

Edited 1375952304
Or you could just purchase a eight thousand one hundred and ninety two sided die.
Those are the odds of a shiny pokemon appearing?!   Geez, you could run your whole campaign and never encounter one. You could also have my luck, and your only occurring shiny pokemon is also something relatively useless, like a magickarp that loses shiny when it evolves (which I don't know if they do or not). //I saw, and failed to capture a shiny Slowpoke.  Once.
Shiny pokemon stay shiny when they evolve.