Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] D&D 5e, looking for 1 player

Edited 1450959497
THE APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. Thanks to all those that applied. If you have not been PMed by me thus far, it means you did not pass the preliminaries. See you around next time. Hello there, I am currently looking for one more player to join an ongoing D&D 5e group. One guy dropped out due to technical problems and I am looking for a replacement. First off; eyecandy The following are the information you need to know: Currently there are 5 players. They are playing a Ranger/Cleric multiclass, charisma based Fighter, Ranger/Druid multiclass, Bard and Cleric. They at halfway through 8th level. Whoever gets chosen will start at their same level. Current story; Set in a homebrew region in the forgotten realms known as Illyria. The players move around the region and the capital city of the same name which is a hub for guilds and adventurers. To become a guild you need to register yourself to the Guild Association HQ and receive official quests. The players are a small nameless unregistered bunch of adventurers who do any job so long as they are paid for their trouble. They have gone through different quests and have set up different favors that have opened up their way to become an official guild. There are of course more details but I want the new person to join to be a solo adventurer (we can work on the details) who was scouted as part of their number gathering to open the guild (You need at least 10 people to open a guild, some are PCs, the rest are NPCs). The feel of the game; The game is lighthearted and comical and serious at the same time. Most of the cases some NPCs will act in comical manners to have the players feel comfortable. However this does not mean that it is deprived of seriousness, NPCs will die, intrigue will happen and you may find yourself in the middle of bad waters if you do not know when to switch to serious mode. I try to balance roleplay and combat so they are on equal terms. However, D&D 5e is combat oriented, you will be required to do your job inside combat, you do not need to be good at it (other players will help you out) but if you do not enjoy combat, then this game is not for you. Adventures will be modular, you will get to choose which quests to do at this point, but you may not just give up mid-way to play a new module. Now, to come and join you must read the following, agree to it and post an application post as dictated down there. -Normal sessions currently are set to Saturdays or Sundays at 8:00AM (GMT+9) (Which is Friday/Saturday night for people in the U.S.), this time may change but no more than a day before or after. Sessions are going to be scheduled on a once per week, or once every other week, whatever happens I will try to not make a session skip more than a month in between. Please note that since this is the Christmas season, the next games until we are out of the first week of January are going to be scheduled using Doodle (online scheduler with automatic time conversion), where I gather all your available dates and try to make a session happen out of them. A session is scheduled officially if 4 or more people can make it, and in rare circumstances even less than that. Meaning that it would be a plus if you are flexible on holiday seasons or breaks. -Please make sure you have AT LEAST 4 TO 6 HOURS at hand for every session or are able to tell in advance in case you will be absent. Once you are invited, you are to use skype and join a common group which I use as a noticeboard and general chat. You have to confirm your attendance for every session through this chat. YOU HAVE TO TELL ME EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT COMING. -Voice chat is not mandatory and you may participate with text only. However listening to other players' voice chat is mandatory, as a GM I will be using voice primarily to speed things up. Those who would prefer to use voice and do not have the means to reduce their background noise with either a mute button or headphones are not welcome. There will be background music and ambiance from the game so make sure you are able to isolate it and not cause problems to your neighbors. We will primarily be using skype chat for this. -Any major figures, organizations, ideals, races and or places are all fictional and have nothing to do with their real life counterparts, please apply only if you can accept this. -Experienced and inexperienced players are welcome, but unless you are extremely motivated I would avoid joining this as your first ever D&D 5e game. People who are completely new to Roll20 will have a lower priority than someone who does, this is due to people in the past leaving because they did not like roll20 despite of their enthusiasm at the start. -There may be brutal, gorey, bloody and etc. situations, if you have any phobias then do not apply. -As long as something is fun and can be explained, I am going to allow it. -Character creation details and house rules will be available for you to view on the common handouts, though the house rules themselves are more of a balance fix than a drastic change to the system. Do not create characters beforehand as I will only admit rolls done inside the game. The following behavior is not tolerated: -Suicidal play because you want to reroll a new character. If you want to play a new character, let me know beforehand. -Intentional harassment for the purpose of destroying the fun of someone else. I am all about playing pranks on your team mates for comedic relief, I do it all the time when I am a player, but don't overdo it or have any hostility towards others. -Rule lawyering or debating for a prolonged amount of time inside the session is not tolerated. I may make mistakes as a GM, and it is the player's duty to help pointing out the mistakes, however this should be kept within 2 to 3 minutes. I may arbitrarily rule something on the spot to facilitate the progression, we can then proceed to talk about it after the session. -Understanding each other is a must. If you have a disagreement, settle it out with each other, otherwise I will roll a dice for you. -Failure to isolate real life noises (eating, talking etc.) will make an unpleasant game for the others. You can eat all the snacks and drinks you want, just make sure your mic can be muted when you are doing so. -The inability to differentiate between real life and a game. While you may have a problem with racism in real life, remember that in certain settings, racism is an apparent thing. While you may have concerns about certain topics, so do other people, but everyone can deal with it. Nothing is directly targeting you, even if you perceive it that way. -If at any point you lose interest in the game or are not enjoying yourself anymore, let me know about it. If we can fix it, I will do so, otherwise you will be kindly asked to leave so I can find a new player. Joining the game out of duty is not tolerated, if I find signs of such behavior, you will be asked to explain yourself or kicked out immediately. In order to apply let me know of the following IN THIS THREAD; -Your experience in playing D&D 5e -Do you agree with all the above clauses and did you confirm above all else that you are able to attend at the time shown? -Are you comfortable to be playing with 5 other people that are strangers to you? Do you have any particular kind of people or topics you cannot stand above all else? -Do you agree to look at all the notifications I put on skype more than 3 times a week? -Read the handout about character creation and world setting, make a general outline of a character and wrap it up in a short paragraph. In-game public handouts may be found here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/journal/951957/in" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/journal/951957/in</a>... (It does say 4th level start, however that was from way back, assume it is level 8) One final notice; Due to the point in the game where the players are right now (Guild recruiting, applications etc.) you may not see actual combat for at least one session. You may feel a bit alienated as they have been together for longer, but try to be open and adapt. Feel free to ask any other questions here. TL;DR: If you came here looking for a TL;DR, you're probably not someone who should apply, as these things are important, and everyone in the game so far has agreed to them.
Sounds pretty perfect, just a little too late for me and a little too big a party. Hope you find someone soon!
Agreed, I read through all of that but when I sat at the bottom there are already 5 players? Dude that's a huge party. I'd have enjoyed putting together my own little adventuring guild in this world. If you ever want to run a parallel campaign for a smaller party, both sides' actions taking effect in each campaign, let me know. Regardless, good luck and good gaming to you!
The reason why I am getting up to 6 players is because not everyone can attend regularly. Most of the time it will be 4 and 5 and occasionally all 6 if we can get the dates to match.
hello! First off I am the epitome of a newbie. That being said (take this as you will, I know you can't really tell someones character from a single forum post), I am probably one of the more easy going new people you will find. I will lead with answering all of the questions you wanted:&nbsp; -Your experience in playing D&D 5e &nbsp; &nbsp;- I have never played D&D before. I played about 4 or 5 sessions of Pathfinder a long time ago. But it was with other people that hadn't ever played a tabletop RPG, and not the sort that would normally play one. So no one was role playing, and none of us knew how to DM. Long story short, I have a vague idea of what its like to actually play. But I am very eager to learn. -Do you agree with all the above clauses and did you confirm above all else that you are able to attend at the time shown? &nbsp;- Friday and Saturday evenings are perfect. Any time on Saturdays is excellent. Fridays after 5:30PM EST is prime.&nbsp; -Are you comfortable to be playing with 5 other people that are strangers to you? Do you have any particular kind of people or topics you cannot stand above all else? - I am very comfortable meeting new people. I am unsure how in depth I will be able to role play as I have never done it before, but I look forward to meeting a group of cool people that I can hang out with on the weekends and play a tabletop rpg with. The only topic that really gets me fired up is if anyone starts talking about Internet Service Providers. I get so pissed off about the terrible service ISPs give and their business practices. Luckily, they are all universally hated (at least they should be) so it shouldn't be an issue. -Do you agree to look at all the notifications I put on skype more than 3 times a week? - &nbsp;I am on my computer at least once a day, and barring loss of internet (happened once. Century Link had a very uncomfortable customer) I will have skype on whenver I am at my PC. -Read the handout about character creation and world setting, make a general outline of a character and wrap it up in a short paragraph. In-game public handouts may be found here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/journal/951957/in" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/journal/951957/in</a>... (It does say 4th level start, however that was from way back, assume it is level 8) - The following paragraphs are from a character I had originally written as an Elf for play in Pathfinder. I will need help to tailor it to your campaign, but I hope this shows that I am sincerely interested and (hopefully) worth the investment to teach how to play: Character Description/Story Physical description: Skaelus is average height for a half-elf with an average build. He has green eyes and short dark brown hair. Not as handsome as most elves, he has a demeanor about him that is simultaneously welcoming, yet wary. His eyes seem to stare through you, as if you have something to hide and he can see exactly what it is. But his lips rest in such a manner that makes them look like he is gently smiling in your direction, willing you to trust him with your secrets. Personality: Skaelus Doesn't talk very much. He only speaks up when he feels it is very important to say something, or to influence those around him to see things his way. As a chaotic good personality he doesn't care much for rules or laws. He understands their significance and the need for them, but also feels that they are meant to be broken. And he will break almost any rule to help those he cares about or those he feels are in need (IF they are deserving, in his eyes). ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Back Story ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Skaelus was nothing to brag about as young half-elf. He was unremarkable in appearance and skill, came from a working class home, and wasn't born with any innate talents, at least that he knew of. Growing up Skaelus learned to hunt from his older, full-elf brother, Faelus. His brother was his role model and he wanted to do everything he did, only better. And so he trained for it. Long and hard. He would often spend weeks in nature hunting and learning the ways that animals moved, water flowed, and trees whispered. His brother joined the elvish military as early as he could, and so, Skaelus would follow suit. But not for the same reasons. When Skaelus returned from a winter hunting trip that had lasted almost the entirety of the season he was greeted with a new way of life. His brother had been killed by an orc raiding party. That had sealed Skaelus' fate. He continued his wilderness treks, but not for the same reasons as before. He would learn to track creatures through harsh weather and rough terrain. He would practice his aim with the precision only an Elves senses can reach. He would do all this, to find revenge. Skaelus joined the military as soon as he was old enough and because of his earlier training he was fast tracked to an officer position. This was not without significant push-back due to his ‘dirtied heritage’, but his persistence and skill earned him significant favor from the less racist Elves. From there he would lead out scouting parties, tracking down orc raiders that were killing and pillaging citizens of his land. He would do this happily, without any feelings of regret. This was his chance to redeem his brother and finally accomplish what he never got a chance to. After 20 years of military life, Skaelus discovered that no amount of killing would bring his brother back. So he left the military and left his home. He went in search of his purpose in this world.
-Your experience in playing D&D 5e I don't think I've played 5e before, but I've played a DnD games over the years. I can't recall the edition. I'm trying to get back into tabletop gaming since the in-person gaming scene in my town has dried up. I've yet to join a game on roll20, mostly because I'm kinda shy when I haven't put myself out there on a platform before. So, this is the first one I'm trying to sign up for a game. -internal screaming- I know it hurts my chances, but it is what is it. -Do you agree with all the above clauses and did you confirm above all else that you are able to attend at the time shown? I do indeed agree. I run on GMT -8, so the games should be around 3pm for me. Which is fine and dandy. Friday and Saturday. I'm pretty free to move my schedule to fit the game schedule. Also. I'm going to say, I have no idea what 'Doodle' is. -Are you comfortable to be playing with 5 other people that are strangers to you? Do you have any particular kind of people or topics you cannot stand above all else? Yes, I am. This is the only part that makes me nervous, really. And as far as people I can't stand... I guess just people being unkind or mean- not characters mind you, but players. Besides that, if they can act like an adult, I can get along with a lot of people. -Do you agree to look at all the notifications I put on skype more than 3 times a week? Sure, I usually have skype on all day. -Read the handout about character creation and world setting, make a general outline of a character and wrap it up in a short paragraph. Shada Ravenrock Half-Orc Barbarian Outlander(Maybe?) Chaotic Good "Be good in a fight Shada, it will be the only way they'll see the good in you." Fighting she learned from her Mother; how not to be a monster she learned from her Father. She set out on her own at 13, practically an adult for a half-orc. Her Mother moved them into local tribe of Orc once her Father died. That did not last long. She's just trying to escape her nature. Fighting is something she's always done well, taught in a more barbarian style, so she joined a few groups to do some stab and loot missions before moving on to the next bigger and better thing. Her goals are probably to be respected, not alone anymore, and live a life her father would be proud of. I'm open to involving her in the plot in some interesting way, maybe she got kicked out of one of the established guilds after refusing to do a few missions. (Of course they'd give the shit jobs and tasks to the likes of a half-breed?) We can have fun with it. I'm all for plotting some kind of good twist. I hope that's what you were looking for in an outline. If I'm too new and you don't feel like holding my hand through a few things, that's okay too.

Edited 1450762071
EDIT - Pulling out, good luck finding a player!
Edited my main post to be more clarifying in terms of how long I am keeping this application open, probably for a couple more days. When I ultimately choose someone, I will let you all know in this thread, PMing everyone sadly is a pain in the butt.
I have enabled LFG on the game, however there is no difference in where you apply and feel free to post whichever you are comfortable with.

Edited 1450843832
-Your experience in playing D&D 5e None, however I'm a quick learner and I had a lot of experience with 3.5 and Pathfinder I've started reading up the 5e handbook a little bit, but not too much. -Do you agree with all the above clauses and did you confirm above all else that you are able to attend at the time shown? Yeah, I'm in GMT 0 timezone, so the time is quite comfortable for me. -Are you comfortable to be playing with 5 other people that are strangers to you? Do you have any particular kind of people or topics you cannot stand above all else? Yeah, that's fine, as long as everyone is following the "don't be a dick" rule, I guess :D -Do you agree to look at all the notifications I put on skype more than 3 times a week? Sure, I got skype on basically all the time. -Read the handout about character creation and world setting, make a general outline of a character and wrap it up in a short paragraph. In-game public handouts may be found here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/journal/951957/in" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/journal/951957/in</a>... (It does say 4th level start, however that was from way back, assume it is level 8) I've read up on classes and backgrounds and whatnot a little bit, and this is what I came up with. Rufus Swifteye CN Halfling Monk Pirate Background Rufus' father was a master of martial arts and insisted on training him in the nearby monastery. Rufus obliged, however he never really had the patience for it, even though he had a knack for it. He was feeling quite bored at the monastery, was always more attracted to a hedonistic style of living, which was extremely frowned upon by the monastery, and he was eager to explore the world in general. So he decided to do something a little bit crazy - he negotiated with a pirate ship to take him with them as a crew member, viewing that as an exciting adventure compared to the boring monastic way of living. He left a good-bye note for his family and friends and set off into the big wide world under the cover of the night. He'd adventure on the sea for a couple of years, doing all sorts of jobs on all sorts of areas on the ship due to his incredible speed. However, after some time, he fell into some disagreements with the captain and decided to leave the ship on the next stop, which was Illyria and to try his luck in an adventurer's guild. Rufus is a cocky little bugger that loves a drink, a fight or a company of a wench, not necessarily in that order, maybe at the same time. He loves telling stories of his exploits and embellish them a little bit... Okay, maybe more than a little bit. Technically, you could call him a pathological liar, but you wouldn't want to say that to his face. His years at the sea have indeed left a mark on him, and now he indeed does swear like a sailor. Perhaps he's trying a little too hard when he does that, given that his sailor experience is relatively low. He's very prideful and never backs down from a challenge, even against tough opponents - it wouldn't be the first time he would jump and punch the teeth out from someone who was taller than him. He dreams of making a fortune while adventuring and, one day, bring it back home to his folks to show them that his way of life works for him. // If this guy is accepted, I'm looking forward to exercising my pirate speak. :D
It is 50 minutes early but I am closing off the applications for now. I have already sent a PM to candidates asking them about the dates of when they can attend, If you have not been PMed by me thus far it means that you have not passed the preliminaries. Thank you for applying and I hope to see you some other time when I host more games.