Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Players not changing maps

I'm finding that, when I move the Players ribbon, the players are not moving to the new map :( Any suggestions as to what may be wrong or (more probably) what I'm doing wrong, please?
I am, however, logged in as gm on one machine and testing that things are working correctly by logging in on another machine as a player. Would that make a difference? I'm also noticing that, although I can move tokens on 'GM' machine and they move on 'player' machine, things like 'ping' isn't responding on 'player' machine.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Dave, I've just done some quick testing in one of my games and when I move the ribbon my 'player' tab updates accordingly, this shouldn't affect the behaviour of the business as usual for people logged in as just players. Something to check, do you have any backup/copies of the game that the players might be sitting in while you are actually moving the ribbon in another game? (sorry to ask such a daft question but it happens... not that i'm admitting to anything!). The ping however doesn't show in the 'player' tab when i have a GM one open also, is this also not showing for your players or is that just a local thing you've noticed? Ultimately can you please follow Steps 1-3 of our Solving Technical Issues wiki page, taking special care to temporarily disable all browser add-ons and extensions, temporarily pause your anti-virus, and try switching browsers (for Chrome/Firefox specific issues) to see if one of those components is causing the problem. If all of that fails, please follow Step 4 , including providing all of the necessary information, so that we can further assist you.
Thanks, Ziechael. The game is due to start on Wednesday, so it's a brand new game (so there's no backup/copy versions of the game around. I'll check with one of the players as soon as they get online, to see if the 'ping' shows on their map :) I'll get started on those steps :) Thanks again for your help, Ziechael.
Ah! OKAY! I think I have it figured :). Moving the ribbon will change the players view to the map the ribbon is on, yes? But it doesn't move the players tokens to that map? :( I there a way of doing this OTHER than to copy and paste the characters to the other (current) page.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There are a few ways. Copy and past (as you discovered) Drag and drop from character sheet (same or similar to copy and paste) Upgrade to a pro account to gain access to the api and use a script Those are the three ways that I know of to get the tokens moved from one page to another.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah I see now, their visible page was changing but you were expecting their tokens to move too. The methods Pat suggests are the primary ones certainly. I tend to put my players tokens on a map in their starting positions once i've made the map so that they are good to go as soon as the page loads, this works well if you don't regularly change the setup of a token as it will remain the 'default' token from the time you added it to the map and won't update to a future version unless you change it yourself. The tokens on each given page are independent of each other (barring some API magic) so you won't need to worry about them moving or being altered in any way shape or form, the only differences that will carry from page to page is the bars since they are linked to the sheet and will update accordingly regardless of which page the changes were made on (ideal for multi-level dungeons where no time passes between areas and hitpoint totals carry across).