Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Notice of Extended Downtime on 01/07/2015

Beginning at 3AM CT Thursday Morning we will be taking down Roll20 for an estimated seven hours in order to migrate our hosting servers. Our current hosting service has been experiencing stability and security issues recently, and we’ve done our best to work around these problems but it has become increasingly difficult. We began examining a move to Google Cloud Platform hosting several months ago-- in part because of the convenience in relationship to Firebase -- and had not made a final decision until these recent issues with Roll20 downtime and degraded service. We understand this short notice will be an inconvenience to some, but believe it best for the entire site’s population to bring site stability better under our control and hopefully allow us to provide additional speed improvements.
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Considering the stability issues with your current host this seems like the right decision to make.  Thanks for trying to keep our games running smoothly.

Edited 1452042461
Other than stability, will these migrations improve performance?
Jake M. said: Other than stability, will these migrations improve performance? Since Riley's pretty busy getting ready for this move, I'm going to answer this to the best of my ability (I got informed enough to be able to help make the decision, but my terminology might not be 100%). There's potential for some improvement merely from lessened communication time between Firebase (our real-time server, owned by Google) and Google Cloud (our soon-to-be database). Additionally, the way Google Cloud does their storage is will allow us to organize in a way that may end up being a little more efficient-- potentially the virtual machines may not have to be as many / won't be shared in the same ways. Again, this is something we were considering before these stability issues arose in hopes of squeezing some more umph out of our capabilities.
Yeah no worries!  Was just interested, I don't know much about servers and figured security/stability is priority, but was just curious.  Good luck with the move!
That's great news! Take your time guys.
Just wanted to chime in and say that tonight I ran my first session since the transfer and it was pretty involved with seven PC's, at points dozen or more active monster tokens, dynamic lighting, and tons of map elements, normally this type of session would be filled with what I like to call roll20 hiccups nothing major just minor anoyances that refreshing the page almost always clears up and a pretty slow experience for one of our players out in a rural area on a laptop, none of that happened at all this time around and the session laster for almost five hours. So in short I don't know if the transfer is responsible for this but tonight was the most trouble free evening of gaming in a long time so I would like to think so and hope the improved performance is here to stay. 
Thanks for the feedback John. Glad to hear it! We'll be following up with a full post mortem of our own here in a few days.