Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Multiple measuring methods

In the measuring tool, the only option is the 1 Form. I suggest there be a second one which lets players select the "Type" of measuring tool for the game they are using. So instead of ".ft" it can use other measurements, Number of squares it would take to get to the square you measure to (like 1 diagonal would be 2 squares), and so on. This will add more versatility. Another thought would be you click and hold left mouse button to measure, then click the right to keep that measurement while you measure towards a new direction. Say for running around a corner.
In the current version, you can configure the scale of a given page on that page's settings screen. This lets you select "ft, m, mi, km" and the scale of one square on the page grid. The ruler will then use the scale you select. +1 on the request to allow diagonals to be counted using a different system than D&D 4E movement rules. Personally, I need "exact Euclidean distance" because I'm using the ruler to measure distances on a world map in my campaign, but other people on this forum have made a decent case for needing other measurement systems. (IMO the diagonal-counting system should be configurable on a page-by-page basis. I could easily see a campaign where tactical combat on one page needed a different diagonals behavior from travel distances on another page. Perhaps it should be configurable as part of a page's scale settings?)
+1 on the request to allow diagonals to be counted using a different system than D&D 4E movement rules. Personally, I need "exact Euclidean distance" because I'm using the ruler to measure distances on a world map in my campaign, but other people on this forum have made a decent case for needing other measurement systems. I strongly agree. After all, Roll20 is supposed to be system agnostic in the first place.
Oops! I just discovered that if you turn off the grid on a page, the ruler starts using exact Euclidian distance to calculate diagonals! It also allows you to start measuring from any point, rather than snapping to the center of a grid square. This resolves my need for the ruler, since I haven't needed a grid yet for any of my pages. That said, I still support the need for additional ruler diagonal modes. (A side note: is there anywhere in the official documentation that mentions how the ruler behaves with/without a grid on the page? I found out by trial-and-error . . .)