Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Chat "channels"

Pete
KS Backer
I suggested in another thread that it would be nice if the campaign allowed for "channels" of discussion (and GM controls who can see what channel). Any old-school internet users who used IRC in a non-tabbed environment would know how this might work. Channels could be "In character", "Out of character", "Secret plot", etc. The chat screen might then have entries like: [IC] GM: The room begins to shake as the wizard completes his spell. [OOC] Bob: I hope Mike doesn't freak out like last time! [IC] Eldor looks for something to hold onto. [IC] Thanan: I charge the wizard! [SecretPlot] Seth takes the distraction as an opportunity to rifle through Eldor's pockets. By default, anyone could create a channel, and the channel would have (by default) the creator and the GM as members. The GM can add/remove people to a channel, and can delegate this power to a player if needed. The GM could be removed from a channel if needed, but can add himself at any time - the channel is by default configured to broadcast additions/removals from the channel, but this can be disabled (unknown spies). The GM can always see a list of channels and members, and can choose whether players can see this information on a per-channel basis. -- Pete. Edit: Previous thread (originally about GMs snooping on player whispers) is <a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2767/whispers-and-player-character-interaction" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2767/whispers-and-player-character-interaction</a>
Gauss
Forum Champion
I read the thread you posted. I think an alternate solution would be multi-target whispers. That way the GM can be included if appropriate. - Gauss
The problem with a multi-target whisper is that all members of the conversation need to remember and retype the entire target every time they send a message. It seems like one of the parties would be dropped very easily. Maybe combine the ideas? Allow somebody to type something like: /channel SecretMemo [playername] [playername] [GM] and a channel named "SecretMemo" would be quietly created containing the listed players. Any of the players could then type "/w SecretMemo" to whisper to everyone in the channel. (Some things to consider: does a separate group of players already have a channel called "SecretMemo" that they're talking in right this moment ? Was there a channel last session called "SecretMemo" with a different set of players in it? If you got the initial invitee list wrong, how do you add/remove players on an existing channel?)
Would it also be useful to have some sort of indicator to the GM that whispering is going on even if they are not included? That way the GM would know that the window hadn't disconnected them when they hadn't seen anything in the chat window for a while.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Will: Assuming that they enable a feature like Multitarget whisper hitting the targets may be as simple as a setting or macro. Plug in all the names, click save...open it up again to type to everyone participating - Gauss
the idea of a multi-target whisper sounds ridiculous because: -each time you whisper a group you'd have to type out all of the members in the group, this can cause many errors, which could end with the whisper not being triggered and everyone getting the message. -the idea of channels is the same thing as a multi-target whisper except that they are persistent -the idea of writing a new macro each potential whisper group is just dumb if there is the potential for channels I get it that the idea of multi target whispers is cool, but if you can use a chat command to start a room as mentioned by Will then why make it so you have to type things again and again.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Bryan, I believe it is simple. If there is a regular subgroup then making some form of grouping (we call it a macro but it does not need to be a macro) would work just fine. I was not stating this should exist in concert with channels. I was stating this could be an alternative to channels (a less desirable alternative to be sure). As for creating a new setting for each potential whisper group, it shouldnt take that much effort. Again, I was suggesting this as an alternate idea if the channel concept was not viable. - Gauss
I would like to bump this thread. Just came from an Eclipse Phase session that really could have benefited from multiple chat channels, we frequently had 5 concurrent threads of discussion with rolling membership, and a lot of accidental bleed over. I have seen some other VT clients that support multiple channels, but unfortunately none of them are quite as awesome as Roll20, so hopefully the devs can find time to work this in!
Yes, it would made my life so much easier. Multiple channels are an awesome RP tool and Roll20 would benefit from it greatly, not to mention the above eclipse phase game ;).
Channels that all appear on the main chat with those {ooc} and the like tags would be great. The "log of campaign" would only have to track the 1 chat window.