Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition] I don't get what it's rolling.

Hey there, it might seem like a stupid question, but can somebody please explain to me what exactly the Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition character sheet is rolling? If you roll a skill it first shows difficulties for regular, hard and extreme. I get it so far. Then it rolls three times. Why? And then it lists the results as +2, +1, +0, -1, -2. What's that for? Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm not familiar with the system, but looking at the sheet's code it appears the +2 and -2 lines are taking the highest and lowest of the three rolls, the +1 and -1 lines are taking the highest and lowest of the first two rolls, and the 0 line is taking the first roll only.
Thanks, Brian. That's what I thought it was doing. Unfortunately it doesn't make much sense to me yet. I can't recall any situation in the rules when you would want to roll three times for the same skill. There are bonus and penalty dice but they're just additional d10s, not d100s. So I really don't get why this character sheet is doing this. Am I missing something here?
*bump*

Edited 1452993366
I'm pretty sure they are bonus/penalty dice, but the author didn't find a way to add d10s only, so he did it with d100. I'm trying to find a better way to do that, but I'm not an expert and I don't think there is a good way to do that (well, it's more correct to say that I haven't found one yet).

Edited 1452990792
Silvyre
Forum Champion
When you select the Call of Cthulu: 7th Edition from the dropdown when creating a campaign, there is a note left by the sheet author (below the preview image): You may note the absence of hard and extreme values. These have been moved into the roll button itself. When you use the roll button you will see, in the chat log, a roll "vs standard value/hard value/extreme value." Compare the appropriate threshold to your result to determine success. For weapon skill select one of the listed skills to base your weapon skill check on. You may select up to the tenth custom skill as the base skill. For weapon damages you may specify a "+0", "+1/2db" or "+db." Use this to include your damage bonus in the damage roll or not. You can find an API script which goes with this sheet at <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/blob/master/Call_of_Cthulhu_7th_Ed/extended_autocalc.js" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/blob/master/Call_of_Cthulhu_7th_Ed/extended_autocalc.js</a> . This will enable autocalculation of Damage Bonus and Build.

Edited 1452991252
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Alzam said: I'm pretty sure they are bonus/penalty dice, but the author didn't find a way to add d10s only, so he did it with d100. I'm trying to find a better way to do that, but I'm not an expert and I don't think there is a good way to do that (well, it's more correct to say that I haven't fond one yet). If someone feels like explaining or directing me to the relevant rules, I'd be happy to take a stab at this.
It's somehow similar to d&d5 : When you roll a d100 (or, in fact, 2d10, one for the tens and another one for the units), you can have up to two bonus/malus dice that act like (dis)advantage : you roll 2 or 3 dice and keep the best/worst one. However, the bonus/malus dice are d10 : you don't roll 2 or 3 d100, but instead roll 2 or 3 d10 for the tens and only one for the units. So you would have results like 93 / 63 / 13, but never 93 / 62 / 11. If you see a way to do that without having to use a roll query or&nbsp;displaying separately the unit die (or maybe to find a nice looking way to do that ?), it would be great :)
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Doing this without a Roll Query is pretty rough! No Roll Query means the Roll Template is going to be either very messy (five inline rolls?!) or very intuitive (leading to more threads like this one). Probably the best I can do without a Roll Query is this: **Normal:[[ d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]]** **Bonus: [[ 2d10kh1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] / [[ 3d10kh1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]]** **Penalty: [[ 2d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] / [[ 3d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]]** Some options with Roll Queries... One inline roll: [[ ?{Bonus/Penalty|None, d10|Bonus (1), 2d10kh1|Bonus (2), 3d10kh1|Penalty (1), 2d10kl1|Penalty (2), 3d10kl1} * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] or, with 'tens' and 'ones' dice in separate inline rolls: /r [[?{Bonus/Penalty|None, d10|Bonus (1), 2d10kh1|Bonus (2), 3d10kh1|Penalty (1), 2d10kl1|Penalty (2), 3d10kl1} * 10 - 10]] + [[d10]] or, for those who don't like /r and don't mind doing a bit of mental math: [[ ?{Bonus/Penalty|None, d10|Bonus (1), 2d10kh1|Bonus (2), 3d10kh1|Penalty (1), 2d10kl1|Penalty (2), 3d10kl1} * 10 - 10]] + [[ d10 ]] One or two inline rolls: ?{Extra 'tens' dice| None, [[ d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] | One, **Bonus:** [[ 2d10kh1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] **Penalty:** [[2d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10]] | Two, **Bonus:** [[ 3d10kh1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] **Penalty:** [[3d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10]] } ?{Bonus/Penalty| None, [[ d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] | Bonus, **2 'tens' dice:** [[ 2d10kh1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] **3 'tens' dice:** [[ 3d10kh1 * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] | Penalty, **2 'tens' dice:** [[2d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10]] **3 'tens' dice:** [[3d10kl1 * 10 - 10 + d10]] } As above, but with nested Roll Queries (one inline roll): [[ ?{Bonus/Penalty| None, d10 | Bonus, ?{Bonus dice&amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;One&amp;#44; 2d10kh1 &amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Two&amp;#44; 3d10kh1 &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&amp;#125; | Penalty, ?{Penalty dice&amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;One&amp;#44; 2d10kl1 &amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Two&amp;#44; 3d10kl1 &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&amp;#125; } * 10 - 10 + d10 ]] As above, but with 'tens' and 'ones' dice in separate inline rolls: [[ ?{Bonus/Penalty| None, d10 | Bonus, ?{Bonus dice&amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;One&amp;#44; 2d10kh1 &amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Two&amp;#44; 3d10kh1 &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&amp;#125; | Penalty, ?{Penalty dice&amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;One&amp;#44; 2d10kl1 &amp;#124; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Two&amp;#44; 3d10kl1 &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&amp;#125; } * 10 - 10 ]] + [[ d10 ]]
Hi I'm the sheet author sorry for the late reply. &nbsp;Here is what's happening: -2 = 2 penalty dice -1 = 1 penalty dice 0 = standard roll +1 = 1 bonus dice +2 = 2 bonus dice (Written this way to save on screen space and avoid wrapping on most systems) Per the normal CoC 7th ed rolls you are only suppose to roll multiple 10s dice. &nbsp;I couldn't find a way to get multiple rolls using the same result of the one's dice so I just have it roll 3 d100's instead. &nbsp;So the three rolls are the bonus/penalty dice whether you need it or not. &nbsp;I think it stays true to the intent of the game designers as I believe they only have you roll ten's for simplicity. &nbsp;It doesn't alter the statistics to any meaningful degree. &nbsp;&nbsp; The description is a bit outdated. &nbsp;The roll_template will tell you if you rolled a success/fail/hard/exceptional/fumble for each case of bonus/penalty dice. &nbsp;No need to compare the numbers yourself. &nbsp;Only reason I continued to show the roll results is for transparency/debugging. &nbsp; In my own games we found it very handy to roll all cases at once, it saved space on the sheet, made it easier to macro things, and resolved issues like, "Doh I failed the roll...wait! I had a bonus die!" Hopefully that clears things up a bit. &nbsp;If there is a better way to advertise what is happening let me know. &nbsp;It's not the first thread asking what is happening there.
Silvyre Yeah only reason I didn't go those directions before was because I wanted to avoid the interruption of roll queries and I wanted all cases to use the same rolls. &nbsp;That allows someone to go back and see what the result would have been if they forgot about a bonus/penalty. &nbsp;If people want it the other way (specify number of bonus/penalty each roll) I'm open to the discussion.
Hey Matt, thanks for your reply (and the CoC 7 sheet at all). I already kind of figured it out by now, thanks to all the other posters here, but it's good to have the clarification by the author himself. :-)