Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Implement guidelines on how to Look for Players/GM

Recently I have been looking at the LFG forums and the group listings and have found out that there is an increasing amount of threads/games where no one replies or offers them a spot. It would be great to post some warning and some guidelines to people who make threads for the potential outcome of what they are about to do. Let me break down what I am talking about. For players: When a single players is making a thread in hopes for a group to pick them up, have them on a special posting interface where they give them the following warning; You are about to post in the LFG forum/group lising, please take into consideration that if you are posting to find a GM this may take considerable amounts of time. Instead please go to our Forums/Listing and search for posts/listings already created by GMs who are accepting players and consider messaging them to speed up your process! If you want to continue please add the following to your post to help the readers understand what you are looking for; -System -Time zone -Combat/RP ratio (if applicable to the system) -Amount of homebrew -What type of player you are -Mic and video availability For GMs: As for GMs, there really is no huge difference the way they are now however the amount of GMs that look for players and never give out enough information is still prominent as such I would suggest something like this: Before you continue with your thread/listing please make sure you have given all the necessary information to your players, these are important as they help players decide whether or not they want to be in your game or if they are a good match. Please consider adding the following; -a list like the above one with slightly more detail I do understand it is in the hands of the poster to make their post appealing however not everyone reads threads like "What makes a great LFG thread" and there needs to be a bare minimum standard for everyone. Someone could be a great GM, he just does not know how to post properly. Someone could be an amazing player but does not know how to look for GMs properly and so on. Player/GM experience should be standardized by creating "official" posting guidelines that pop up everytime you have something to do with LFG or Listing.

Edited 1454201996
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hey, Brother Sharp ! Those are some great points that would be an awesome contribution to our [Discussion] What Makes a Great LFG Thread? sticky in the Looking for Group forum. Please consider posting and/or expanding on them there (I noticed you have already made one reply in that thread already)! Thanks.
Thank you for the reply. As I said above, not everyone knows how to make good use of that thread. And without offense to all the people that posted there, the information is too scattered and requires someone to build a static final version on how to utilize all the information in there. My suggestion that, to everyone who makes a post in LFG is shown either a condensed version of that thread or some warnings as I said above. Of course, a good player reads other threads and attempts to improve on their own, but there need to be actual official guidelines to help players get more in touch with each other. Not just in the form of a sticky thread, but in the form of an interface built-in option. Everyone in "What makes a great LFG thread" agrees that there is severe lack of information. Why not implement a blank template that is given to you inside the body of the LFG post already?
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .