Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro comments invisible when re-editting macro text

May have been raised before, but only just tried this. I editted a macro in a character sheet. I added a comment as I had some modifiers I needed to make note of why they were in macro. Comment didnt show up in chat, great as expected, but when I went back to edit the macro - I also couldnt see the comments in the macro editor. Firefox 23.0.1
Gauss
Forum Champion
It sounds like you didn't save the Ability or the sheet and thus the changes were not made. Please confirm that you clicked the checkmark after making your changes and then you clicked save. - Gauss

Edited 1376947482
No - I did both of those things - I clicked the checkmark, and I saved the sheet (double checked again). Dismissed the sheet, reopened it and then went to edit and comment has disappeared - though there is a blank line for every line of comment I entered. In fact if you just enter the comment <!--- Test --> and then click check mark, then click edit straight away you also get the same effect. As checkmark, save sheet.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ahhhh, and here I thought it was just a comment, not commented out. I will check with the Devs when they get back from GenCon.  - Gauss
Anything that looks like an HTML tag (which that does) is going to get filtered out by Roll20. 
Not a big deal, I added it because it said in the wiki help on Macros that I could add comments and I can never remember why I added certain modifiers so was to support my laziness ! "If you want to add text in your Macro that you do not want to be visible in the chat window when it us used, you can use HTML 5 comment tags <!-- comment text --> . -- GManator ( talk ) 16:59, 5 May 2013 (EDT) " But its a one time only view of the text - because as soon as you come out of the macro edittor, its not visible again in Roll20, as you say its filtered - I guess this should be moved from the help wiki ?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Could you post the link to that wiki entry?  - Gauss
<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a> - (text is as quoted above)
Thanks for pointing that out, I removed it. Sorry for the confusion.
However is there a possibility to make comments possible in the future? // or so maybe? I guess if you're a mentor you can just do a !Blahbla or so, and hope no script actually recognizes that command, but not sure how a non-mentor campaign reacts to an API command.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Quatar said: I guess if you're a mentor you can just do a !Blahbla or so, and hope no script actually recognizes that command, but not sure how a non-mentor campaign reacts to an API command. Just tried using API commands in a non-mentor campaign; it didn't appear to do anything. Seems like a reasonable workaround so long as the campaign doesn't have a script that processes that command!

Edited 1377363282
GManator
KS Backer
I updated the Gurps 4e section of the wiki to correct this. Old data that I forgot to change. It now uses the ! mark as Ryan suggests.