Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Token States Visible On All Layers

I ran my first 'live' Roll20 game last night and this situation came up: There were 30 tokens on the map in a relatively small space. As an opponent was killed, I would mark the dead token with the red 'X' and then change it to the Map Layer so that we could avoid picking up the wrong token and so that active tokens could stand in the same square over the corpse of the dead token. Now, the token's states, bars, and nameplate does not appear once the token is changed to the Map Layer. I had a 'duh' moment where I kept trying to select a dead token on the Map Layer because it looked just like an active token on the Token/Object Layer. After a minute or two of' WTF?' and I realized that the token was actually a dead token on the Map Layer. It would be helpful if a token's states, bars, auras, and nameplate were to remain visible (if allowed by the GM) no matter which layer the token resides on. Hope that all made sense. :)
We had this come up in relation to the GM Layer the other day as well...is the general consensus that the token overlays should show up on all layers? Is there anyone out there who finds it useful that they *don't* show up (as it is currently?)
I could see a "GM-Only" marker being useful, but not in this context. Plus I think the permissions system already handles that.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I think it would be useful to keep the overlays going in all layers with one caviat: a way to turn off all overlays (even for the GM) with a single checkmark. Example: Token #1 I want to have overlays on the GM Layer so I know when someone comes within the creatures reach (aura). Only the GM should be able to see this. Token #2 though I do not want to see it's overlays so I checkmark the 'do not show overlays box' so I dont see them even as GM. - Gauss