Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Adventurers Wanted! The Color Animal Inn is open for business. (Pathfinder, Newbie-Friendly, March 16 @4pm CST)

Greetings, young hero! Perhaps you have heard by now of the wondrous opportunities to be had in the rapidly-growing town of Owhe? How a series of earthquakes revealed long-hidden tombs, caverns, and dungeons populated by dangerous monsters and filled with fantastic treasure? And how numerous adventurers have made their fortunes (and sometimes their fates, but let's not dwell on the down side!) by coming here to try their hand at exploration? Well, now it's your turn! Visit the best little town in the middle of nOWHEre!! Shop our bountiful stores, visit our scenic dungeons, and share tales of adventure with other heroes at: The Color Animal Inn! So, here's what's the thing, what it is, is: The Color Animal Inn is my attempt to create a 'game' that anyone can join, on a semi-regular basis. The campaign I have set up includes a large number of complicated interactions between character sheets, macros, token actions, and API scripts. This all works together to make a very, very simple interface, suitable for even the newest newbie to use quickly, easily, and intuitively. NO GAMING KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED I will be recording these sessions and livestreaming them over YouTube, as a sort of podcast type of thing that I hope will become popular. Each session will be couched in the idea that participants are visiting a bar, where they can meet one another and discuss various topics of interest. The first part of each session will feature my making a link to the game available to the general public, through these forums. Any Roll20 member who wishes to do so may join, until the 'bar' reaches maximum capacity (Currently limited to 6 players.) During this period, those present are invited to discuss whatever gaming-related topics they wish. In addition, I will be doing various things to help new players, and sometimes old players. Mostly the topics will be fluid, but sometimes I'll have something special I'll wish to demonstrate. For example, I might show new players how to make their characters, or I might show experienced Roll20 GMs a method I've discovered for creating detailed macros for their game. Whatever people want to chat about, we're gonna chat about. The second part of each session will begin when there are at least 4 participants who want to play, generally one to two hours after the doors open. Using characters they've created during this session, characters they'd like to import into this game, or an ever-growing selection of pregenerated characters, everyone who wishes to will get to play. The participants will then get to do a VERY random, free-form style of role-playing and combat, with exploration, puzzles, traps, monsters, and of course treasure! Using my vast array of random tables, random dungeon generators, random treasure charts, and Roll20s own system, there's no telling what might happen. And since I encourage the participants to make up significant portions of the story, even I won't know what's going to happen! These sessions can end up being anywhere from serious to silly, depending on the moods of the participants, and every group will be different. Sound like fun? Want to be part of this? Great, here's all you have to do! Rule 1: Don't be a jerk. I'm the only jerk allowed in this particular tavern, and I've already tried kicking myself out. Don't make me boot you, too. Rule 2: If you obey Rule 1, I don't need a Rule 2. Gameplay will occur on Roll20, and will be recorded. Voice contact will take place through Roll20's voice system. If this fails for some reason (a rare thing lately, although it used to be common) we will use Skype as a backup. Since this will be recorded, you will need a decent quality microphone and a minimum of background noise. If I have to mute you due to noise, I will. You are welcome to broadcast video, as long as you don't make me go back and edit anything later! You are NOT required to do so. The entire session will be recorded as well as being broadcast live across YouTube, meaning that anything done within the program needs to meet YouTube's terms of service. Vulgar language is allowed, within reason. Racism, homophobia, hate speech, and anything like that is not, and anyone displaying such actions will be lucky to get a single warning. You can find prevous episodes of The Color Animal Inn here , or by searching for Phnord Prephect on YouTube. Links to the game will be provided openly on the day of the event, shortly before the webcast begins. These links will change on a regular basis to ensure a variety of participants get the chance to be part of the occasion. Those who post in the notification thread (ie: this one) will receive their invitations approximately one hour earlier, thus giving them priority and some time to discuss their needs with me, the GM. This Particular Episode is for new players: If you've never played Pathfinder, never played on Roll20, or never played an RPG before... You're Invited! If you've played before, you'll be put on a list. If I fail to recruit 6 new players, I will randomly choose from this list to see who can join. The next event is scheduled for: *******NEW PLAYERS WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY******* Wednesday, March 16, 2016, at approximately 4pm Central. Those with VIP invitations will receive their backstage passes approximately one hour earlier. *******NEW PLAYERS WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY******* *GAME LINK WILL BE POSTED HERE WHEN THE INN OPENS* (and it will be erased when it ends) -Phnord Current VIP List: ? ? ? ? ? ? Current Backup List: ? ? ? ?

Edited 1458007015
Hi.. I'm relatively new to roleplaying (played one session but the group didn't seem to work well) on Roll20 and especially new to playing Pathfinder. (I have a D&D background) I'm keen to learn more and even if lucky enough play regularly. I would love an opportunity to play. I'm currently in Sydney, Australia but have worked out the time difference and would be keen to take a chance at your game. Im happy to use a pre-gen wizard or rogue type but also happy to play a cleric or Druid if a healer is needed. i have Skype and since I've used this roll20 once before I believe I can safely play on it. Thanks for your time..
I'd be down for snaggling up one of them backup slots. :D 

Edited 1458007384
Andz G. said: Hi.. Phnord is super welcoming with new players and helps guide you through everything.  And if you ever want to custom make a character, let me know and I'd be happy to give you some tips and such. :>
Man I remember seeing you start this like a year or two ago. It's nice to see that your still at it.
I'd love to play.  I started playing a couple of weeks ago, and have had two 5e sessions so far, but don't have any pathfinder experience yet. I'm a bit confused about the date of this session.  You mention that the next session is on February 6, 2016.  Is there a new date when you will be running this scenario?
Matt / Nani said: Andz G. said: Hi.. Phnord is super welcoming with new players and helps guide you through everything.  And if you ever want to custom make a character, let me know and I'd be happy to give you some tips and such. :> Thanks for the offer. As I don't want to waste the DMs time and if I don't like Pathfinder then I'd rather use a pregen. If I get serious and want to play a campaign I will definitely take you up on the offer..
Welcome to The Color Animal Inn, Andz G! If the time is right for you (we sometimes play until midnight local...), you're more than welcome to join us! In fact, you're exactly the type of player I'm looking for. There are a variety of pre-generated characters readily available, one representing every permitted class. And quite a few more, made by previous players. However, if you'd like to make your own characters, here are the rules: I consider  THIS WEBSITE (and all linking directly from it) to be the official rules. There is a SRD available for searching, but it includes a lot of third-party and otherwise 'splatbook' information that I do not allow. In any situation where a written rule is needed, this is where that rule shall be found. Of course, the GM's decision and the Rule of Cool overrides anything else, including his own prior decisions about rules! Stats: You may roll for stats in-game, using a rather generous (but still random) method akin to gambling. Alternately, you can take advantage of the 25-point-buy system found here. If you choose to roll, you will get a set of six numbers generated as (4d6, drop lowest, sum remaining three for a total of 3-18). You may assign these numbers as you wish to create your character, with appropriate racial modifiers. If you wish, you may permanently discard your first set and get a second set. If you still do not like these results, you may either roll a third time (keeping that set regardless) or default to the 25 point buy. Races: All races are currently allowed, as I haven't found one I'd need to outright outlaw. I reserve the right to veto, if needed, but it's not likely I will. Of course, you should be aware that the weirder your race, the more likely you are to attract attention from the mostly-human population of most of the 'civilized' world. Classes: Three classes are currently banned, for reasons. These are the Gunslinger (Because, really?), the Alchemist (Too much boom = no fun), and the Summoner (Too many puppies spoils the broth, or something.) Anything else is probably ok by me. Traits: Each character will choose two  TRAITS as described in the rules. A Disadvantage may be chosen; it will not give you an additional trait in return. Equipment: Pregenerated characters will come with equipment. Newly-generated characters will have: A melee weapon, a ranged weapon, and a set of appropriate armor. Of these three, one may be masterwork. These are assumed to be the character's heirloom items, or otherwise pre-acquired, and do not count against the starting purchasing allowance. Normal clothing, including a backpack, pouches, bags, etc. There is also a "Party Loot" bag that exists in Hammerspace, which comes in handy. You will have $1,000 in cash, which can be used to purchase other goods as desired, at the standard prices in the rulebook under "Equipment." Magical items (if you can afford them) are available to a limited extent, but such things as healing potions, most low-level scrolls, and the like are common. If you do not have a given item, dice will be rolled to determine the possibility that you 'just had it handy anyway.' The difficulty of this roll will vary depending on circumstance, character, and the GM's mood. Concept: Choose a character that is interesting. Think about what they'd want out of life, where they came from, how they'd act in various situations. Please do NOT choose a character because "It can do the most damage per round" - - I mean, come on, where's the fun of that? This is role-playing, not roll-playing! Also, good in-character activities (including evil ones!) can earn you bonuses! (See: Brownie Points) Token: I like top-down tokens, but anything you wish to use to represent your character is (probably) ok. You may import your image during the game, or I can try to find something appropriate for you. Character Sheet: There is an in-game system which uses a modified version of the primary Pathfinder character sheet. You will be required to fill this out. This takes only a few minutes for a simple character, a bit longer if you include multiple spell lists and such. If you have a companion (familiar, etc) you will have a sheet for them as well. A good place to record your information outside of the game is MythWeavers. The sheets are similar enough to be easily filled out and compared to one another. Using the in-game sheet is required due to the numerous interacting macros used during game play. I think that about covers it. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Current VIP List: Andz G. (Pregen, possibly wizard, rogue, or cleric?) Charlie S. (unknown) ? ? ? ? Current Backup List: Matt / Nani ? ? ? EDIT: Ack! Thanks, Charlie S. I had changed that and one other thing before posting, but somehow it got reverted. Guess I overlooked it! It's fixed now. Belenus, were you wanting to join? Edit: Cool, yeah, I remember you. Join up sometime... say, this coming Saturday? Hint hint... q;}
Oh sorry! Not right now, busy that day. I was just kind of noting how long you've been doing this and that it's great to run into you again. I'll probably join for the next one (if It works for my schedule) I was wanting to join your last one but it was for return players so :P
Sign me up for the backup.  And to all newcomers you're in for a good game.
Wonder if I can get in on this on Wednesday. I'm not new to roll20 (about 400 hours split between 3.5 and 5.0) but I am new to pathfinder as I have never played before but would like to give it a shot and broaden my horizons. Would appreciate an invite and thanks in advance.
Current VIP List: Andz G. (Pregen Paladin? Or possibly wizard, rogue, or cleric?) Charlie S. (bard?) Jason L (wizard?) ? ? ? Current Backup List: Matt / Nani Brandon L Red Hedgehog John M ? ? Edit: Charlie S: You will roll the stats on the day of. Feel free to do everything else ahead of time.
I think I'll try my hand at a bard.  Should I PM you and request you roll up an array of stats for me?
If you're new to pathfinder, this is definitely the game to play. It gives you a lot of freedom and allows you to create a new character each week if you so choose. The beauty of Phnord's system is, if you find a character you like, you can always keep the character, along with any items he/she/it finds. I'll be on the backup list too Phnord. :)
I will of course sign up for the backup list.

Edited 1458027002
I'm thinking wizard if Andz isn't going to pick it. Also sessions spread out through the week or is it once a week?
Hi John, and Hedgehog. Glad to see y'all signin' up! Jason L asks: "...sessions spread out through the week or is it once a week?" The Color Animal Inn usually operates once a week, on Saturdays. This Wednesday thing is an anomaly, because Spring Break and I'm a nerd; instead of the beach, I'm doing this. Future sessions will be on Saturdays; they are also newbie-friendly, but usually not restricted as this one is. I am hoping to 'recruit' new players, you see! -Phnord.
Jason L. said: I'm thinking wizard if Andz isn't going to pick it. Also sessions spread out through the week or is it once a week? Hi Jason, I've nominated Druid, so you're fine to be a wizard.. "You're a wizard Harry" :)
hello i would like to play i am new to pathfinder but i do play 5e and i am willing to try any class out there
Andz G. said: Jason L. said: I'm thinking wizard if Andz isn't going to pick it. Also sessions spread out through the week or is it once a week? Hi Jason, I've nominated Druid, so you're fine to be a wizard.. "You're a wizard Harry" :) No Harry is my wizard, although if you want you can use his as a pregen, also you might want to check how phnord is handling animal companions, we were talking about it at the end of last session and he was thinking about restricting them, you can swap the feature for a cleric style domain. (not trying to get in as a backup btw)
Current VIP List: Andz G. (druid?) Charlie S. (bard?) Jason L (wizard?) Richard W (unknown) ? ? Current Backup List: Brandon L (monk?) Red Hedgehog John M ? ? ? I have restricted summoning somewhat; the idea being that no player should have more than two 'characters'. So a wizard may have a familiar, a druid may have a companion, etc. Summoners generally bring multiple critters at a time; I figured it would be easier to simply ban the class.
Phnord Prephect said: Current VIP List: Andz G. (druid?) Charlie S. (bard?) Jason L (wizard?) Richard W (unknown) ? ? Current Backup List: Matt / Nani Brandon L Red Hedgehog John M ? ? Based on the selections of the new players I'd likely setup for a melee build, monk archetype.
Something came up, I'm afraid I gotto take myself off of the backup list, sorry.  Though, at least that makes room for some of the others to join easier. :>  I'll sign up next time the level 4 game comes around. 
Aww, too bad Matt. We'll see you on Saturday though, right? At least, if you sign up on time, ha ha ha.

Edited 1458105542
I am open to trying this game out, but besides a bad and confusing experience I had with D&D once I've no knowledge of gaming at all. I'm also new to this site and stumbled across your invitation while browsing. Now besides a hopeful, but slightly wary, attitude and a mic, is there anything else I'd need for this tomorrow? (2 pm my time if I've got this right, I'm in PST)
Howdy Brandon H! Current VIP List: Andz G. (druid?) Charlie S. (bard?) Jason L (wizard?) Richard W (unknown) Brandon H ? Current Backup List: Brandon L (monk?) Red Hedgehog John M ? ? ? No, nothing more is needed. Paper and pen for jotting down notes would help. Snacks are often useful.  You should look at the Getting Started section above and consider what character type you'd like to play. Roll20 and our imaginations provide everything else we'll need! -Phnord
Yeah, I'll try to get through the Roll20 tutorial as well as that other site before we start tomorrow then, as well as properly nested in front of my monitor, lol.
Yep, 2PM pacific, Brandon. If you show up at the VIP time, then you'll have plenty of time to create your character. Phnord and other players will answer all your questions and give advice tailored towards what playstyle you like.

Edited 1458157396
So, I've been working on my character and trying to figure out what I want my character's back story to be.  I was originally planning on just going with a human or a halfling, but then I came across this page for  Aasimar's on the SRD.  It contains some content which the  Paizo webpage does not, specifically about alternate Aasimar heritages.  Would you be comfortable with me using the Azata-Blooded (Musetouched) heritage?  I've copied it out below: ---- Azata-Blooded (Musetouched) The musetouched epitomize freedom and joy, and travel the world to liberate less fortunate individuals. Ancestry Azata Typical Alignment Cg Ability Modifiers +2 Dex , +2 Cha Alternate Skill Modifiers Diplomacy , Perform Alternate Spell-Like Ability Musetouched gain glitterdust as a spell-like ability . Musetouched Race Traits : Bralani's Step , Lillend's Harp The capricious aasimars known as musetouched are the most likely of their kind to be found adventuring throughout lands both civilized and remote. Imbued with an undeniable spirit of wanderlust, musetouched feel the constant urge to explore new places, meet new people, and ferret out evil and corruption wherever they lurk. Of all the aasimars, musetouched tend to be among the most beautiful by most humans ’ standards. They possess features with an unearthly charm, such as long, thick hair of a seemingly impossible hue and limpid, jeweltoned eyes. Musetouched are commonly possessed of innate musical talent and a love for melodies, and many train as bards while they wander. ---- If not that's fine, I'll just go with my original plan.
FINAL VIP List: Andz G. (druid?) Charlie S. (bard?) ( EDIT: Sorry, Charlie! Regular type only, although it does sound fun! ) (Edit Edit: Ya know what, go ahead!) Jason L (wizard?) Richard W (unknown) Brandon H (unknown) ? BACKUP: Red Hedgehog Invitations are being sent out as soon as I finish this post. Should anyone fail to show, their spot will be taken by one of the remaining Backup Listers. See y'all there! -Phnord PS: Didn't make the list? Watch us on the  LIVESTREAM !