Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Devs] CharSheet dev environment tips?

Edited 1458405628
jflo
API Scripter
I've played around a bit with character sheet development, and I'm about to get into it a little deeper. Does everyone just use the built in editor on the campaign settings page? Has anyone figured out how to run a charsheet in a local Node.js instance? I'm looking to be able to access sheet attributes, and debug charsheet interactions both with itself and worker scripts.
Carl T
Sheet Author
Two different questions here. I use a mock of the character sheet window locally to develop and test basic layout. That's proven much faster and more reliable than doing it on roll20. I've never heard of anyone being able to actually replicate attribute formulas, sheet workers, or repeating sections outside of loading the sheet into a game. Love to be proven wrong though.
jflo
API Scripter
Thanks for the distinction. I'm definitely interested in the later type of development. I wish they exposed the underlying firebase stuff which stores the attribs via the API.
"I use a mock of the character sheet window locally to develop and test basic layout. That's proven much faster and more reliable than doing it on roll20." How do you do this? Thanks, -Nick
Carl T
Sheet Author
Nick: I scraped the DOM and the dependent stylesheets from the character sheet window via web inspector and saved them locally. I then use the saved HTML as part of my custom character sheet during development on a local server. Basically just make sure that your HTML is all a child of the div classed "charsheet". This provides the basic framing window and the basic styles from what looks to be jQueryUI, Bootstrap, and other. I'm using Visual Studio 2015 so all this pretty much just making a web project out of the roll20-character-sheets directory that I check out from git. This doesn't allow you to do anything with repeating rows or auto-calculating fields&nbsp;of course. Doing it locally also allows you to use a CSS preprocessor (which I can't live without). :) I've zipped up my mock page and CSS from the above here if anyone wants it. I scraped this back in the beginning of February so it's possible the CSS might be a bit out of date, but I'm still using these and it seems close enough. <a href="https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8DD0F0BFC88D" rel="nofollow">https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8DD0F0BFC88D</a>... Just remember to remove all the HTML surrounding your custom character sheet before pushing your changes up!
PadRpg
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Carl : Your testMock is great. I think it will be helpfull :) Othewise, I post a suggestion to be able to have this kind of tool to help us developing the character sheets :&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3117039/characte" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3117039/characte</a>... If you want to vote on it, you're welcome ;)
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
wow carl that is great, much better than notepad++ and no visibility. I use VS 2013 but will try to incorporate what I can. (I have to get us on VS online so we can stay up to date) The only "mocking" I did was to generate empty javascript for the functions we can call from sheetworkers to pass jslint inspections.
Carl T
Sheet Author
I'm glad people found it useful. Another thing which I find helpful is to set the widths of the two wrapper divs to percentages so I can see what the sheet looks like at varying window sizes. I went and upvoted having better tools. Imagine how much better work we could all do with faster testing cycles. I can work out the roll macros and templates in-game and just copy the formulas over with a high degree of success, but it's painful to test sheetworkers. :(