Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The Color Animal Inn: Newbie-friendly open Pathfinder Livestream YouTube Thingy! (March 26, 2016, 4pm CST)

Greetings, young hero! Perhaps you have heard by now of the wondrous opportunities to be had in the rapidly-growing town of Owhe? How a series of earthquakes revealed long-hidden tombs, caverns, and dungeons populated by dangerous monsters and filled with fantastic treasure? And how numerous adventurers have made their fortunes (and sometimes their fates, but let's not dwell on the down side!) by coming here to try their hand at exploration? Well, now it's your turn! Visit the best little town in the middle of nOWHEre!! Shop our bountiful stores, visit our scenic dungeons, and share tales of adventure with other heroes at: The Color Animal Inn! So, here's what's the thing, what it is, is: The Color Animal Inn is my attempt to create a 'game' that anyone can join, on a semi-regular basis. The campaign I have set up includes a large number of complicated interactions between character sheets, macros, token actions, and API scripts. This all works together to make a very, very simple interface, suitable for even the newest newbie to use quickly, easily, and intuitively. NO GAMING KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED I will be recording these sessions and livestreaming them over YouTube, as a sort of podcast type of thing that I hope will become popular. Each session will be couched in the idea that participants are visiting a bar, where they can meet one another and discuss various topics of interest. The first part of each session will feature my making a link to the game available to the general public, through these forums. Any Roll20 member who wishes to do so may join, until the 'bar' reaches maximum capacity (Currently limited to 6 players.) During this period, those present are invited to discuss whatever gaming-related topics they wish. In addition, I will be doing various things to help new players, and sometimes old players. Mostly the topics will be fluid, but sometimes I'll have something special I'll wish to demonstrate. For example, I might show new players how to make their characters, or I might show experienced Roll20 GMs a method I've discovered for creating detailed macros for their game. Whatever people want to chat about, we're gonna chat about. The second part of each session will begin when there are at least 4 participants who want to play, generally one to two hours after the doors open. Using characters they've created during this session, characters they'd like to import into this game, or an ever-growing selection of pregenerated characters, everyone who wishes to will get to play. The participants will then get to do a VERY random, free-form style of role-playing and combat, with exploration, puzzles, traps, monsters, and of course treasure! Using my vast array of random tables, random dungeon generators, random treasure charts, and Roll20s own system, there's no telling what might happen. And since I encourage the participants to make up significant portions of the story, even I won't know what's going to happen! These sessions can end up being anywhere from serious to silly, depending on the moods of the participants, and every group will be different. Sound like fun? Want to be part of this? Great, here's all you have to do! Rule 1: Don't be a jerk. I'm the only jerk allowed in this particular tavern, and I've already tried kicking myself out. Don't make me boot you, too. Rule 2: If you obey Rule 1, I don't need a Rule 2. Gameplay will occur on Roll20, and will be recorded. Voice contact will take place through Roll20's voice system. If this fails for some reason (a rare thing lately, although it used to be common) we will use Skype as a backup. Since this will be recorded, you will need a decent quality microphone and a minimum of background noise. If I have to mute you due to noise, I will. You are welcome to broadcast video, as long as you don't make me go back and edit anything later! You are NOT required to do so. The entire session will be recorded as well as being broadcast live across YouTube, meaning that anything done within the program needs to meet YouTube's terms of service. Vulgar language is allowed, within reason. Racism, homophobia, hate speech, and anything like that is not, and anyone displaying such actions will be lucky to get a single warning. You can find prevous episodes of The Color Animal Inn here , or by searching for Phnord Prephect on YouTube. Links to the game will be provided openly on the day of the event, shortly before the webcast begins. These links will change on a regular basis to ensure a variety of participants get the chance to be part of the occasion. Those who post in the notification thread (ie: this one) will receive their invitations approximately one hour earlier, thus giving them priority and some time to discuss their needs with me, the GM. The next event is scheduled for: Saturday, March 26, 2016, at approximately 4pm Central. Those with VIP invitations will receive their backstage passes approximately one hour earlier. *GAME LINK WILL BE POSTED HERE WHEN THE INN OPENS* (and it will be erased when it ends) -Phnord Current VIP List: ? ? ? ? ? ? Current Backup List: ? ? ? ?
Count me in
Sign me up!
I'm in!
Nick P. said: Count me in Will Diana be joining us as well? Current VIP List: Nick P Brandon L Red Hedgehog Charlie S ? ? Current Backup List: (Diana E) (Maybe?) (Pending) ? ? ? So that's two people counted as in, one actually in, and one person up. And one person whose quantum wavefunction has yet to collapse... at least, from my reference frame.
Count me in.
I watched a few of the videos that were posted to youtube and I must say this is a very clean operation and i lIke the randomness. I'm interested in trying this out sometime. I haven't played pathfinder for quite some time and when I did it was only few times.  If possible I'd like to use a pre-gen character for the time being. I can't commit completely at this time but I'd like to put my name in as a maybe. Is the run time typically 3-4 hours? And does this always run on Saturdays?
would love to play again
I'm very interested in joining, or set on backup. It sounds like this is very newbie friendly which I kinda need (know the basic, never played), and I'd love to have a quick talk before starting to see if 1. My English is good enough. 2. Set up a simple interesting character.
Quick question:  Would you be okay with me making an Alchemist with the Vivisectionist archetype?  You mention that you don't allow Alchemists because "too much boom = no fun", and vivisectionist loses the Bomb feature in exchange for Sneak Attack die.
@Charlie: If i recall correctly the mutagen aspect is also taboo, but good question.
Replies: : Nate: Thanks for the youtube views! Keep watching 'em, and I'll keep making 'em! There is (almost) always a CAI game on Saturday; they're not always public. Sometimes they're just for people who have played before, or select groups, or people who have NOT played before... I'll make it clear in the invitation which is the case. This time, there are no such limitations. Occasionally, when I have free time, I'll schedule a midweek game, but these are relatively rare. Games generally last closer to 8 hours, with pseudo-hourly breaks, but you're welcome to leave whenever you need to, of course. A pregenerated character would be your best choice, and many are available from which to choose. See below for some notes on character creation. Diana : Thought probably, what with Nick and all. Glad to have you quack back! Zrie : Looks like you got lucky, you got the last VIP Slot for this week! Looking forward to playing with you. However... since this week's crew is primarily experienced characters (Level 4), and I start new players at Level 1, you will probably want to play a (level 4) pre-gen. It will be a little more complicated, but you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out what you can do... and if you do, I'm sure everyone will be glad to help you! I'm sure your language will be fine (based on your writing), but make sure you have a good microphone! Please feel free to send me a PM to discuss character choices, and we can test out your language/microphone skills at a mutually agreeable time (3pm, ie one hour before 'gametime', ie when VIP passes go out, is a valid option!) Charlie S: Similarly, you have the following options: 1) You may play your summoner character from before (with limits we've discussed) because he's  grandfathered-in . 2) You may play a level 4 pre-gen. 3) You may create a new level 1 character (sorry, no alchemists, personal taste!)     Brandon L: Correct, and yes, it was a good question. Notes:   Regarding New Characters: New players have the option to play a new character of their creation, or to use a pregenerated one (which they may role-play in any manner which suits them, of course!) If you play a new one, you will acquire experience on a per-game basis until level 4, after which you will advance on a per-EXP system (normal method.) If you use a pre-gen, your experience will carry over to your new character when you create one. This is the current EXP system, still in development: Games ALREADY Played Character Level Zero  Level 1, or Pregen One Level 1, or Pregen Two to Three Level 2, or Pregen Four to Six Level 3, must be your own Seven or More Level 4, must be your own So, if you've played one game with me, or have never played at all, your character is level one (unless you want to use a pregen to learn.) AFTER you've played your SECOND game, you will play your THIRD game at level 2. Your fourth game will also be at level two, after which you will gain level 3. Your fifth, sixth, and seventh games will be played at level three, after which you will gain level 4. In addition, you will be required to make a level 3 character if you haven't done so already. From your Eighth game on, you will be playing for EXP as recorded normally. In other words: Complete two sessions, gain level 2. Complete two more sessions (4 total), gain level 3. Complete three more sessions (7 total) (with your own character started at level 3, or lower) and you will gain level 4. From level 4 (first played at session 8) on, you will earn exp only for the character you play, and only for achievements made with that character. You are welcome to have more than one character , and swap between them from game-to-game, but once they make L4 they're "Fixed." Obviously this system is a little clunky but I think I can make it work; like everything else, it's subject to change without notice! C urrent VIP List: Nick P Brandon L Red Hedgehog Charlie S Diana E Zrie (New!) Current Backup List: Nate the Photosynthesizer (New!) Topec (New!) Kavrick (New!) ?
Well, looks like I arrived at the party late this time around. Put me on the list as a Backup as well.
If it's not to late i'd like to join the backup list
Special Offer! Zrie, Nate, Topec, and Kavrick: Since you are all new players, would you be interested in a separate session, with you four as the first four VIPs? I am available both Friday and Sunday (Although a sunday game would have to end early, no more than four hours.) NEXT Saturday (April 2) is also an option. The benefits: Obviously, you'd all get to participate! Being all new players, you would have more control over the story compared to joining an extant one. For the same reason, you could all create your characters together, and work with one another on their backgrounds. Downside: You'd miss out on the hilarity some of these regulars provide! Also, they know their stuff, sometimes better than I do, and can help you figure out what to do when you're uncertain. Post here and let me know! -Phnord, the guy with too much time on his hands.
By the way, I have played a game with you once before, I was Brandon H at the time, I changed my Display name. I would still be happy to play a game with new players though or if you'd want me to sign up like Charlie S who I played with the first time. (Sorry about the confusion.) I wouldn't be able to participate in a Sunday game, but if the game ends up being Friday or if there are any empty spots Saturday I'd be happy to play.

Edited 1458864734
@Phnord: if you're eager to run two games this week you could do another level one game on friday/sunday with newbie priority, and therefore guarantee a level four game saturday?
Topec: ah, ok. hi! Still waiting on signups, dunno if tomorrow is on or not yet. Let you know here either way... Brandon L: Yup, might happen, we'll see.
Okay, sounds good. Good luck, hope they sign up :)
I was going to wait until next week, but I guess sign me up as a backup
Well then! ***SATURDAY GAME*** Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:00 pm Central time Note: Backup is chosen randomly slightly after 4pm or so if and only if a VIP fails to arrive. C urrent VIP List: Nick P Brandon L Red Hedgehog Charlie S Diana E Zrie (New!) Current Backup List: Nate the Photosynthesizer (New!) Topec (New!) Kavrick (New!) Jake R. ? ?
***FRIDAY GAME!*** Friday, March 25, 2016 aka TOMORROW! This is a NEW, separate, instance (taking place in the same world). VIP invitations will go out at 3pm Central. Additional players (to a max of 6) may attempt to join at 4pm or so, if and only if a VIP fails to arrive. C urrent VIP List Current Backup List: Zrie (New!) (pending) Nate the Photosynthesizer (New!)  (pending) Topec (New-ish.)  (pending) Kavrick (New!)  (pending) Jake R. (New!)  (pending) ? For this game, players are invited to create their own level 1 character. We can do this at game time as needed; pregens are also available. -Phnord
I'm interested and ready for the Friday game!
I'm down for a Friday game!

Edited 1458907617
I can do Friday but I won't be availabel until ~5pm cst/6pm est. If that is too late I can pick up another game sometime down the line.
I'd like to do Friday, but I have no knowledge and experience of 'Pen & Paper' RPGs. I also live in England, and looking at your previous streams, it seems your sessions seem to last 6 hours+, which I won't be able to stay for in its entirety. Are either of these a major problem?
Michael A: Nope! Come on in! Nate: OK, we'll save you a seat. ***FRIDAY GAME ONLY*** C urrent VIP List Zrie (confirmed) Jake R (confirmed) Nate (confirmed, late) Michael A (confirmed) Topec (confirmed) ? Current Backup List: Kavrick (unconfirmed) Brandon L (confirmed) ? ?
***SATURDAY GAME*** Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:00 pm Central time Note: Backup is chosen randomly slightly after 4pm or so if and only if a VIP fails to arrive. C urrent VIP List: Nick P Brandon L Red Hedgehog Charlie S Diana E Zrie (New!) Current Backup List: Nate (New!) Topec (New!) Kavrick (New!) Jake R. (New!) ? ?
Count me in for today's game.
I'll backup for the level one game today, if that's alright.
Friday's game: Completed, hilarity ensued! Saturday's game: Starts in... 12 hours and 45 minutes! See y'all then! -Phnord, who says ZZzzzzzzzzz..... ***SATURDAY GAME*** Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:00 pm Central time Note: Backup is chosen randomly slightly after 4pm or so if and only if a VIP fails to arrive. C urrent VIP List: Nick P Brandon L Red Hedgehog Charlie S Diana E Zrie (New!) Current Backup List: Nate (New!) Topec (New!) Kavrick (New!) Jake R. (New!) ? ?
I'm interested in being a backup for today! 
***SATURDAY GAME*** Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:00 pm Central time Note: Backup is chosen randomly slightly after 4pm or so if and only if a VIP fails to arrive. C urrent VIP List: Nick P Brandon L Red Hedgehog Charlie S Diana E Player dropped: Backup chosen early. #5: Margaret C! Current Backup List: Nate (New!) Topec (New!) Kavrick (New!) Jake R. (New!) Margaret C. (New!) ?