Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

My Roll20 Setup for in-person tabletop games

Hey All, I managed to remember to take some pictures of my 5e Adventurer's League setup last night. The "DM Screen" Behind the "DM Screen" (potential Death House spoilers have been blurred) I use a 21.5" screen running Firefox logged in as a player.  I have an additional screen behind that is duplicating the player's screen, so I don't have to sit in front of the screen, and potentially block the view.  Both screens are plugged into my Surface Pro 4, which has Chrome logged in as the DM.  I also have 2 bluetooth speakers (not pictured) that I can play Tabletop Audio ambiances, or battle music playlists. I use Roll20 for all combat, and interior exploration.  I have an array of Dungeon Buddies for new players to choose their tokens.  Players can also send me a picture over email, and I'll setup a token with TokenTool for them. For the player character sheets, I copy in their ability scores, race, class, AC, and whether or not they're proficient in Perception (for their passive score).  Their HP is set to 5/5, which I use to trigger the Token coloring script for being below 50% or 10% HP. For NPCs and monsters, I use the full NPC sheet with macros (5e shaped sheet).
Hey- I'm using an Asus Flip (touch-screen chromebook)- and I'm having some issues with Chrome & touch in Roll20.  Have you gotten your touch input to work well with Chrome on the surface? Using it in 'laptop mode' works great for me, but I'd prefer using the touch interface. Thanks! Nate
Ha! Looks nice! How do you and your players handle movement during exploration or battles? 
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
This looks awesome! I'd love to see a video of one of your sessions!
Whoops, forgot I have email notifications set to daily, or I would have checked this earlier. Nate M. said: Have you gotten your touch input to work well with Chrome on the surface? Frankly, Chrome is a terrible browser for touch.  I also have a Chromebook (non-touch), as it was part of my earlier setup (using 2 chromebooks).  With the way that ChromeOS handles multi-touch input, and the way that Roll20 expects input, I have not had any luck at all getting the two to work together.  On my Surface I can use the Pen which works very well, since you can actually right-click drag with it.  Window's touchscreen hold-to-right-click doesn't work with Roll20 for picking up tokens, since you can right-click drag after holding (I have the gesture disabled on my Surface). The screen that I use for players is a Mutli-Touchscreen, but I don't bother plugging in the USB for the touch capabilities.  Besides, with my FLGS's 7 foot long tables, only 2 of the 7 players would actually be within reach of it. Peter Bergholtz said: How do you and your players handle movement during exploration or battles?  Cardinal directions, or describing what they want to do, and I find the best path to do that.  For now, token sight is setup so that the player account can see through all the tokens, all the time.  I'm working with a friend to write an API script to toggle token sight based on Initiative order, so that the Player screen will only show the sight of the token who's turn it is.  Then for enemies it will show everyone's sight. For exploration, if the players agree to stick together (rarely happens), I'll occasionally use a single token to move around (usually whoever has the longest sight), then move everyone together for combat. I'm considering picking up a ultra-short-throw projector sometime this summer,  the FLGS owner has agreed to let me mount a screen on the wall if I end up getting it.  Then we can just use laser pointers (the LCD screen is glossy, so lasers don't work well).
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Yeah, it's really disappointing how terrible Chrome is on a Surface Pro; I actually find myself using *gasp* IE as my preferred browser on it.

Edited 1458948438
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Andrew said: Besides, with my FLGS's 7 foot long tables, only 2 of the 7 players would actually be within reach of it. This is the first I've heard of a multi-monitor setup of Roll20 being taken to a FLGS! Kudos!
Silvyre said: This is the first I've heard of a multi-monitor setup of Roll20 being taken to a FLGS! Kudos! Hey man, gotta have my 5e shaped sheets, can't live without 'em.