Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Different Darkvision Range (general DM question)

So in one of my games not everyone has the same darkvision range and I am curious if any other DM has found a good solution for my issue, because when I reveal the map (Fog of War) not every character could see the same things (but the players will).  Player1 has 60 feet Darkvision, Player2 120 feet. If I reveal everything in a 120 feet range, Player1 will see things he actually couldn't.  If I reveal 60 feet, Player2 won't see everything he should. DMs, how do you handle this? Thanks in advance! :)
1459251257
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
In my game, I have the exact same issue and I solved it via dynamic lighting , which is a Plus or better subscription perk.  The players with darkvision are set up to radiate light that only they can see.
I know and it looks pretty cool!  But what are you, the DMs that don't use dynamic lighting, doing in this case?
1459257123
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I put all the tokens (npcs, monsters, treasure, and other stuff) that are not PCs on the GM layer and reveal as needed as I make the assumption that the character with the longer darkvision will tell the other ones what they see. This is assuming you are not using  fog of war also. If you are using the Fog of War then instead of using the GM layer just reveal at the longer darkvision range. Either way, you should talk to your players and ask them to not use the information that their character should not have access.
+1 to Pat.  We'll discuss openly things that only one character will know, and the group will act accordingly. So I'll reveal what the person with the farthest vision can see, but remind the group by saying "Player2 (120ft), you see 3 goblins further up the tunnel.  The rest of the party is not aware of them.  What do you do?" You could also use the whisper chat.  I bit more time consuming, but e.g., /w Player2 (120ft) you see 3 goblins further up the tunnel. The rest of the party is not aware of them. What do you do?"
1459303191
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Using aura's for sight radius can help the players keep track of what they can and can't see. 
@Brett: I guess this will be the only way then, thanks. :) @Aaron: Good idea!!
Zoyarox Craszen - no problem
1459499017
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As you have indicated that this post has been answered to your satisfaction I'll close the thread now, feel free to create a new one if you have any other burning questions :)