Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The Color Animal Inn: Newbie-friendly open Pathfinder Livestream YouTube Thingy! (April 2, 2016, 4pm CST)

Greetings, young hero! Perhaps you have heard by now of the wondrous opportunities to be had in the rapidly-growing town of Owhe? How a series of earthquakes revealed long-hidden tombs, caverns, and dungeons populated by  dangerous monsters and filled with fantastic treasure? And how numerous adventurers have made their fortunes (and sometimes their fates, but let's not dwell on the down side!) by coming here to try their hand at exploration? Well, now it's your turn! Visit the best little town in the middle of nOWHEre!! Shop our bountiful stores, visit our scenic dungeons, and share tales of adventure with other heroes at: The Color Animal Inn! So, here's what's the thing, what it is, is: The Color Animal Inn is my attempt to create a 'game' that anyone can join, on a semi-regular basis. The campaign I have set up includes a large number of complicated interactions between character sheets, macros, token actions, and API scripts. This all works together to make a very, very simple interface, suitable for even the newest newbie to use quickly, easily, and intuitively. NO GAMING KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED I will be recording these sessions and livestreaming them over YouTube, as a sort of podcast type of thing that I hope will become popular. Each session will be couched in the idea that participants are visiting a bar, where they can meet one another and discuss various topics of interest. The first part of each session will feature my making a link to the game available to the general public, through these forums. Any Roll20 member who wishes to do so may join, until the 'bar' reaches maximum capacity (Currently limited to 6 players.) During this period, those present are invited to discuss whatever gaming-related topics they wish. In addition, I will be doing various things to help new players, and sometimes old players. Mostly the topics will be fluid, but sometimes I'll have something special I'll wish to demonstrate. For example, I might show new players how to make their characters, or I might show experienced Roll20 GMs a method I've discovered for creating detailed macros for their game. Whatever people want to chat about, we're gonna chat about. The second part of each session will begin when there are at least 4 participants who want to play, generally one to two hours after the doors open. Using characters they've created during this session, characters they'd like to import into this game, or an ever-growing selection of pregenerated characters, everyone who wishes to will get to play. The participants will then get to do a VERY random, free-form style of role-playing and combat, with exploration, puzzles, traps, monsters, and of course treasure! Using my vast array of random tables, random dungeon generators, random treasure charts, and Roll20s own system, there's no telling what might happen. And since I encourage the participants to make up significant portions of the story, even I won't know what's going to happen! These sessions can end up being anywhere from serious to silly, depending on the moods of the participants, and every group will be different. Sound like fun? Want to be part of this? Great, here's all you have to do! Rule 1: Don't be a jerk. I'm the only jerk allowed in this particular tavern, and I've already tried kicking myself out. Don't make me boot you, too. Rule 2: If you obey Rule 1, I don't need a Rule 2. Gameplay will occur on Roll20, and will be recorded. Voice contact will take place through Roll20's voice system. If this fails for some reason (a rare thing lately, although it used to be common) we will use Skype as a backup. Since this will be recorded, you will need a decent quality microphone and a minimum of background noise. If I have to mute you due to noise, I will. You are welcome to broadcast video, as long as you don't make me go back and edit anything later! You are NOT required to do so. The entire session will be recorded as well as being broadcast live across YouTube, meaning that anything done within the program needs to meet YouTube's terms of service. Vulgar language is allowed, within reason. Racism, homophobia, hate speech, and anything like that is not, and anyone displaying such actions will be lucky to get a single warning. You can find prevous episodes of The Color Animal Inn here , or by searching for Phnord Prephect on YouTube. Links to the game will be provided openly on the day of the event, shortly before the webcast begins. These links will change on a regular basis to ensure a variety of participants get the chance to be part of the occasion. Those who post in the notification thread (ie: this one) will receive their invitations approximately one hour earlier, thus giving them priority and some time to discuss their needs with me, the GM. The next event is scheduled for: Saturday, April 2, 2016, at approximately 4pm Central. Those with VIP invitations will receive their backstage passes approximately one hour earlier. *GAME LINK WILL BE POSTED HERE WHEN THE INN OPENS* (and it will be erased when it ends) -Phnord Current VIP List: ? ? ? ? ? ? Current Backup List: ? ? ?
First! I'm in
It was amazing fun last week, so I'd be happy to join again.

Edited 1459297996
I'd like to join if you hold a Friday game and CAH doesn't go over well. If you don't plan on doing that again, I'd like a spot for Saturday in case Risk is a bust (like usual, surprisingly... last Saturday managed to do a test game). I'd be showing up by 3:20pm or so if I'd be able to make it. So if I'm not there by then, just give my spot to someone else. You can make me a reserve if you think that'd be a better spot.
If a 1st level game on Friday happens I'm in, but I can't make Saturday. 

Edited 1459299062
Red Hedgehog said: First! I'm in Damn! You must be a certain Blue Hedgehog's relative! Just 4min and you're already on here! XD 
qwerty4132: I dunno about a Friday game this week, probably not but we'll see. I'll put you on the reserve for now. Brandon L: See above, sorry you can't do Saturday. Maybe next week? Current VIP List: Red Hedgehog (regular) Zrie (returning, Pre-Gen Bard?) Nick P (regular) Diana E (regular) (probably?) Jake R (new! Pre-Gen Preference?) ? Current Backup List: qwerty4132 (regular) ? ?
i'd like to join in on this week.

Edited 1459304749
I'm down! Edit: I'd rather make my own pc, but if I have to pick a pregen, do you have an Oracle or Witch?
I'd love to join.
@Phnord, quite likely next week. Veysa deserves a good long rest after 'tanking' that 84 damage crit.
Nick: I"m guessing Diana too. Jake R: Sorry, only core classes as pregens. For "reasons", you'd need to start at level 1 if you make your own character in my game. Try a Friday game (when I do one) or look for a Saturday game where I'm looking for only L1s. Charlie: Of course. Brandon: No kidding! That was something to see! Current VIP List: Red Hedgehog (regular) Zrie (returning, Pre-Gen Bard?) Nick P (regular) Diana E (regular) (probably?) Jake R (new! maybe?) Charlie S (returning) Current Backup List: qwerty4132 (regular) ? ?
If it's not level 1, I'm cool with playing a Paladin
Jake R: 3 of those are at level 5. The rest (and you) will be level 4. Playing in my game repeatedly is how you earn levels for your character, so this will count towards your ability to create a higher-level character in the future. I think Charlie likes the paladin; there's no reason you both can't use her, tho. We'll find something for everyone. See you then! -Phnord PS: There's still room on the backup list, folks!

Edited 1459336722
Zrie
Pro
Sure, pre-gen bard is fine with me!
While I have a con this weekend, I was just wondering if you would be allowing stuff from Ultimate Intrigue, especially the Vigilante?
I had great fun last week and while I'd love to come again this week, I'm going to be busy all weekend. I should be okay for next week. It will also give me to catch up on what I missed...which was one hell of a fight from the sounds of it. 
Damnit.
Oh man, Phnord's doing a show now? Crap, that's gotta be worth putting up with pathfinder.
Billy Redd: It's really not.
Ian S: Sorry, no. My one rule one of my rules amongst my many rules is that stuff on the PRD Pathfinder Roleplaying Document is 'allowed' (with a few exceptions. So anything in the toolbar is allowed... but, if you use the search function, you might get taken to the  SRD Pathfinder System Resource Document (I think?), which includes a lot of other stuff. Much of the information on the latter is from 'splatbooks', or secondary sources, such as adventure modules, third-party material, and so on. It's my opinion that Pathfinder already has tons of stuff, and (for the most part) doesn't need any more to make it a fun game... that's up to the GM and players. So, to simplify gameplay, character creation, and the like... I've chosen one specific, dedicated, official resource that everyone can easily access. And that's the  PRD . I have, on occasion, broken almost every rule I have, and this is no exception; on a case-by-case basis I may allow something specific from the  SRD . So, since Ultimate Intrigue isn't (yet) on the PRD, I'm not going to allow it as a character class. Why do I disallow this, and the gunslinger, and the alchemist, and now all of a sudden the summoner? Same reason I may ban other things in the future: I don't feel the fit with the type of game I intend to run. I like the fantasy genre, I like a fast game where nobody takes the spotlight all the time, I like a lot of things these classes (and some other things) tend to either discourage or abuse. Also, I'm still not 100% familiar with the Pathfinder system. I doubt I ever will be. There's so much stuff, and I still refer to the rulebook for simple questions, that I really don't want to spend all my time learning new classes, feat combos, spell lists, etc. If I limit things to what I'm at least passingly familiar with, it also helps with gameplay. In fact, I just went looking for information on "Ultimate Intrigue Vigilantes" and couldn't find anything. So, there ya go. And so, since it's literally my job as GM to make these kinds of decisions, these are the ones I make. Mike A: Yeah, was quite a time. Hope to see ya next week! John M: Care for a seat on the Backup guest list? Everyone: Much as I hate to do so, it's looking like the high demand for these games, coupled with the fact that I can only vary my posting times so much, means that I'm going to HAVE to come up with another method by which to choose who gets to play. And at the moment, the only fair method I can think of is random number generation. PLEASE, if you have any alternate suggestions (that allow a larger number of players to apply, but only admits a small selection of them fairly), let me know! Current VIP List: Red Hedgehog (regular) Zrie (returning, Pre-Gen Bard it is!) Nick P (regular) Diana E (regular) (probably?) (Need confirmation please!) Jake R (new! maybe? Possible Paladin?) Charlie S (returning) Current Backup List: (Chosen by 1dx dieroll at 4pm) qwerty4132 (regular) John M? (regular, presumed interested) ? ? ? ? -Phnord
Im in. sorry for being a bit late
Diana: No worries. Current VIP List: Red Hedgehog (regular) Zrie (returning, Pre-Gen Bard it is!) Nick P (regular) Diana E (regular) Jake R (new!) (Possible Paladin?) ? Current Backup List: (Chosen by 1dx dieroll at 4pm) qwerty4132 (regular) John M? (regular, presumed interested) Charlie S (returning) (Pregen Preference - Paladin?) ? ? ?
Given the high interest, and because I played this past weekend, I'm gonna go ahead and give my seat up this week.  I'll try to play next week instead and let somebody else play this weekend who hasn't had the chance to as recently as I have.
Charlie S: Thanks for the kind offer, but (unless you want me to) I won't remove you entirely. Instead, I'll put you in the Backup List, leave your slot open, and then choose one of the Backupers if nobody else signs up. Sound good?

Edited 1459517170
I'd love to jump into a game if possible this Saturday, I've been itching to play when possible.  I'm not fully sure what I want to play yet, but if it's a first level character I can pull that together or use a pre-gen character as needed. I've been playing RPGs off and on for the past 20+ years, most of my experience has been in WoD, 3.5 and Pathfinder.  Currently playing in a RotRL campaign, using all iconics, as Lem the bard. He's probably one of my favorite characters I've played so far, aside from my Beguiler in 3.5.  My biggest strength that I can bring to group/table, is that I'm willing to mold my character choices to what best suits the party.   Is there anything special that I need to do from here on out?
Daniel S: Welcome! We'll be (probably) playing at L4 this week, so yes, you will be using a pre-gen. The only thing you'll need to do is 1) Show up at 3pm Central (or shortly thereafter) and 2) Have Fun. Current VIP List: Red Hedgehog (regular) Zrie (returning, Pre-Gen Bard it is!) Nick P (regular) Diana E (regular) Jake R (new!) (Possible Paladin?) Daniel S (new! Pre-Gen?) Current Backup List: (Chosen by 1dx dieroll at 4pm) qwerty4132 (regular) John M? (regular, presumed interested) Charlie S (returning) (Pregen Preference - Paladin?) Andrew M (new) ? ?
I like this Idea, I'd love to be in on it if there are still spots open
Andrew M: I'll gladly add you to the Backup List.
I would love to join if room opens and if not being a fly on the wall just to see how roll20 can be used would be nice too.  Pregen-wise I am open to any class. thank you for your consideration 
John (a different one): I've added you to the Backup List... if someone doesn't show, you've got the same chance to join as anyone else. And of course, you're more than welcome to watch us play  Livestream , or later go back and watch  Previous Episodes . Current VIP List: Red Hedgehog (regular) Zrie (returning, Pre-Gen Bard it is!) Nick P (regular) Diana E (regular) Jake R (new!) (Possible Paladin?) Daniel S (new! Pre-Gen?) Current Backup List: (Chosen by 1dx dieroll at 4pm) qwerty4132 (regular) John M? (regular, presumed interested) Charlie S (returning) (Pregen Preference - Paladin?) Andrew M (new) John (A Different One) (new) Russiansoap (new) ? ? Links and stuff happening in about an hour! See y'all then. -Phnord
This sounds like fun, where do I sign?
Russiansoap: You just did! (chance to join) A new game is posted weekly; if you don't make it in this week, sign up next week! (Next week's game is likely to be a level-1, new-players type game) Edit: Qwerty4132: Sorry, had to put you on the Backup List. You've got the same 1/6 chance as everyone else to be picked if there's a no-show... Good luck! Edited Edit: Links have gone out to all VIPs! See ya soon!
Seems like I'll actually be available. Risk seems like a bust this time around too...
It's fine. I told you to put me on backup if you thought it'd be a better spot for me.
***NOTICE*** We had a player have to drop out due to audio issues. Backup Player has been chosen: Russiansoap Russiansoap, check your PMs. You have a link there to join us. -Phnord
You're not streaming today?
Still in pre-game, bit of a late start. Should be live momentarily.
Ah. Okay.