Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Basic Fantasy RPG - 9:30 PM EST -Date TBD

Looking for up to 4 players to run a one shot game using the Basic Fantasy RPG rule set. You can find the rules and example character sheets here; <a href="http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#sn_rules" rel="nofollow">http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#sn_rules</a> No duplication in character classes. Player choices in the base rule set are for the following four classes; Cleric Fighter Magic-User Thief Play time will be for approximately 2 hours (11:30 PM EST). If we need to go over a little bit I'm flexible; however, I have work and a toddler to deal with in the morning so no all night long sessions. Please understand that the time zone is GMT-5 currently. If players are interested I will consider running follow up one off sessions. No long term commitment is expected; however, if you say you are going to play and then do not show, you will not be asked back. If you run into something that conflicts with your ability to play I expect you to be polite and send a message. Fluffy session introduction stuff; "You all knew this would probably happen sooner or later. It's just the type of worry that starts lingering in a young citizen of Darkwater's mind. You see it's just a few days from the 14th of Renoth otherwise fondly known by elders as the Darkwater Festival. As a youth though you would be foolish to not fear this time of the year. You see the elders tell tales of youth up to no good, or maybe of the fate of little Biggs the knit wit dwarf? It's all the same though and maybe you'll share their fate? What is that fate though? HAH! You'll just have to find out when the festival arrives." Out of character... You are a group of friends, maybe students, entry level adventurers? Either way you young at heart and eager targets for the revelers participating in the Darkwater Festival. Prior to our in game session come up with and decide your own method for sorting out who will be what class and races. Figure out a brief paragraph statement about what you collectively are up to the days leading up to the festival. Game session wise we will probably need two actual play sessions. The first will focus on character creation if need be and introduction role playing. Depending on how far we do or do not get we can decide on a follow up session date. Interest?
Davemania
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm interested, pending a firm date.
Would this Friday or next Tuesday work for you?
I'm interested, but i'm new and I don't know if that is good for you :s
I am OK with new players to the system. Take a bit to read through the quick start rules.
ok, just let me see them, when will start the game? or how is the process to follow?
Davemania
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
next Tuesday works for me
Natp, Would Tuesday work for you? If so all we need is 2 more players. Leif
Tuesday (11/13) 9:30 PM EST. Pick a race and class, see notes above in the original post. I'll message the game link to the appropriate people once we hit 4 players committed.
Please read through and have the following PDF available for your general reference; <a href="http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/BF-BeginnersEssentials-r6.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/BF-BeginnersEssentials-r6.pdf</a>
Davemania
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Leaning toward Dwarven Thief
yep it works for me, i want to be a magic-user, but i have a problem i'm from venezuela I need to calculate the hour where are you from?
We are GMT-5 currently here in the Eastern time zone.
what time is there? you're from Canada, aren't you?
It's currently 3:54 PM. I'm near Canada but in the US. Rochester, NY.
ok that's good, then we'll start on tuesday?
Yes, plan is to play on Tuesday. Just need to fill the fighter and cleric rolls now.
ok that's it, i'm going to read the rules and we'll see on Tuesday
Sounds like a plan! Ran a session for some friends last night, which went well. Positive review from the content and game mechanics.
Will we be generating attributes randomly or can we choose where to assign them? I'm thinking about a human Fighter who doesn't wear armor and relies on charisma and a quick wit instead of brute force. More of a generally smart, skilled person than an adventurer, but a good person at heart and willing to step up and do the right thing. I think I'm free this upcoming Tuesday (and I'm in GMT -5 as well, so that helps).
I'm OK with if you want to randomly roll each, generate them with a reasonable bias of +'s to -'s or rolling on the quick chart to locate a stat line or just picking the stat line off said chart. My general feeling is that if it's obvious you are cheating I'll just fudge my rolls more ;)
I'll roll the stats in-chat if you like. I'm probably going to put my highest stat in Charisma, though, so fair warning if my character has less HP than the Dwarf Rogue :) Since the Fighter has 0 class features, the Human has 0 racial features, and I plan on wearing no armor and only using punches and kicks in necessary, expect lots of improvisation and failure on my part.
Roll them ahead of time. Again, I trust my players. Would rather you show up prepared. Also this particular older style of play has a greater potential of mortality... Never hurts to have a back up persona ;)
Confirm for Tuesday night @ 9:30. I'm new to Roll20, so I'll look up how exactly this works. Also, I think I sent you my character sheet and backstory, Leif H. So, all we need is the Cleric.
when do we have to send you our character's story? and we are going to have a page or something about the character? I don't really know how can I do it :S
Are we good for tomorrow night? It seems we do not have a cleric. Can we make due with 3 players or do we need to recruit a 4th?
Davemania
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Speaking up to let you all know I'm still in, and that I will readily play Thief or Cleric as necessary.
So, what's everyone planning on playing? I'm a human Fighter, Zombie Master expressed interest in a Dwarven Thief, Natp I think said he wanted to play a Magic-User, so that leaves one spot open for a Cleric of some sort. For the record, I'm okay with playing the Cleric if the 4th player would rather be a Fighter, but the Cleric's probably the best class in the game. Either way, I'm not exactly going to be playing a "tank".
Good to go for tomorrow so far. Only issue I may have is a sick toddler and that would only be if the wife also gets sick! If so I'll do my best to post early about it. I'm fine with 3 players. In my last test session I opted to let the Cleric player roll up as level 2 since level 1 gets no spells.
well, we are done then, i'm going to be a elf magic-user, and that's ok Leif We understand it, just let us know :) we'll see you at night :)
I think a group with 3 characters can handle things well enough. Besides, everyone in the party likely has 3-5 hit points at best, so we're not exactly in need of magical healing ^_^ If we die, then we'll whip up new characters in no time. The system's surprisingly accessible. The hardest decisions I had to make were what to spend my gold on.
The system is a real pleasure to work with. Will see you guys tonight for a fun game!
I am ready to play (it is 8:30 here GMT -5, so I'm an hour early). I am completely new to Roll20, any assistance in connecting to the game would be fantastic.
I'm ready to play too, I'm new too so.. be nice with me ;) xD
It's 9:29, so, what exactly am I supposed to do?
I'd love to get into a basic game. I have a lot of experience with 3.5 and I like to go WAY outside the box with character creation, and the schedule works for me. Let me know!
We ran the session this past week. We had a good turn out and some good plays. I'll probably be scheduling another run through the system / mini module in a week or two.