Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The Color Animal Inn: Newbie-friendly open Pathfinder Livestream YouTube Thingy! (April 9, 2016, 4pm CST)

Greetings, young hero! Perhaps you have heard by now of the wondrous opportunities to be had in the rapidly-growing town of Owhe? How a series of earthquakes revealed long-hidden tombs, caverns, and dungeons populated by dangerous monsters and filled with fantastic treasure? And how numerous adventurers have made their fortunes (and sometimes their fates, but let's not dwell on the down side!) by coming here to try their hand at exploration? Well, now it's your turn! Visit the best little town in the middle of nOWHEre!! Shop our bountiful stores, visit our scenic dungeons, and share tales of adventure with other heroes at: The Color Animal Inn! So, here's what's the thing, what it is, is: The Color Animal Inn is my attempt to create a 'game' that anyone can join, on a semi-regular basis. The campaign I have set up includes a large number of complicated interactions between character sheets, macros, token actions, and API scripts. This all works together to make a very, very simple interface, suitable for even the newest newbie to use quickly, easily, and intuitively. NO GAMING KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED I will be recording these sessions and livestreaming them over YouTube, as a sort of podcast type of thing that I hope will become popular. Each session will be couched in the idea that participants are visiting a bar, where they can meet one another and discuss various topics of interest. The first part of each session will feature my making a link to the game available to the general public, through these forums. Any Roll20 member who wishes to do so may join, until the 'bar' reaches maximum capacity (Currently limited to 6 players.) During this period, those present are invited to discuss whatever gaming-related topics they wish. In addition, I will be doing various things to help new players, and sometimes old players. Mostly the topics will be fluid, but sometimes I'll have something special I'll wish to demonstrate. For example, I might show new players how to make their characters, or I might show experienced Roll20 GMs a method I've discovered for creating detailed macros for their game. Whatever people want to chat about, we're gonna chat about. The second part of each session will begin when there are at least 4 participants who want to play, generally one to two hours after the doors open. Using characters they've created during this session, characters they'd like to import into this game, or an ever-growing selection of pregenerated characters, everyone who wishes to will get to play. The participants will then get to do a VERY random, free-form style of role-playing and combat, with exploration, puzzles, traps, monsters, and of course treasure! Using my vast array of random tables, random dungeon generators, random treasure charts, and Roll20s own system, there's no telling what might happen. And since I encourage the participants to make up significant portions of the story, even I won't know what's going to happen! These sessions can end up being anywhere from serious to silly, depending on the moods of the participants, and every group will be different. Sound like fun? Want to be part of this? Great, here's all you have to do! Rule 1: Don't be a jerk. I'm the only jerk allowed in this particular tavern, and I've already tried kicking myself out. Don't make me boot you, too. Rule 2: If you obey Rule 1, I don't need a Rule 2. Gameplay will occur on Roll20, and will be recorded. Voice contact will take place through Roll20's voice system. If this fails for some reason (a rare thing lately, although it used to be common) we will use Skype as a backup. Since this will be recorded, you will need a decent quality microphone and a minimum of background noise. If I have to mute you due to noise, I will. You are welcome to broadcast video, as long as you don't make me go back and edit anything later! You are NOT required to do so. The entire session will be recorded as well as being broadcast live across YouTube, meaning that anything done within the program needs to meet YouTube's terms of service. Vulgar language is allowed, within reason. Racism, homophobia, hate speech, and anything like that is not, and anyone displaying such actions will be lucky to get a single warning. You can find prevous episodes of The Color Animal Inn here , or by searching for Phnord Prephect on YouTube. Links to the game will be provided openly on the day of the event, shortly before the webcast begins. These links will change on a regular basis to ensure a variety of participants get the chance to be part of the occasion. Those who post in the notification thread (ie: this one) will receive their invitations approximately one hour earlier, thus giving them priority and some time to discuss their needs with me, the GM. The next event is scheduled for: Saturday, April 9, 2016, at approximately 4pm Central. Those with VIP invitations will receive their backstage passes approximately one hour earlier. *GAME LINK WILL BE POSTED HERE WHEN THE INN OPENS* (and it will be erased when it ends) -Phnord Current VIP List: ? ? ? ? ? ? Current Backup List: ? ? ? PS: As of this week, I will be going on a no-consecutive-weeks system. If you (the player) play one week, you MAY NOT sign up for the following week. Hopefully this will increase the number of players who get the chance to join!
Count me in for this week.
Put me on the backup list. I'll give others a chance to participate this week. If not enough people sign up (for once) I'll join.

Edited 1459954730
I'd like to join to. And I'll be able to play unless something big happens. If there's a bunch of new players that are wanting to join, then you can give them my spot and shift me to reserve.
I would like to give this a shot again.  Hopefully I will not fall asleep this time. :)
I want in this time :P
I can do this week! We thinking low or high level?
Current VIP List: Mike A qwerty4132 Ian S John M Brandon L ? Current Backup List: Red Hedgehog ? ?
My friend would like to join as well, he's new to roll20.
I'd love to join.
Current VIP List: Mike A qwerty4132 Ian S John M Brandon L Friend-of-John-M Current Backup List: Red Hedgehog Charlie S ? ? ? ? PS: As of this week, I will be going on a no-consecutive-weeks system. If you (the player) play one week, you MAY NOT sign up for the following week. Hopefully this will increase the number of players who get the chance to join!
Based on the lineup, it looks like the CAI is likely to have a lower level game this week. As much as I'd like to play Bill, I'd rather be playing Veysa: take me off the VIP list, so I can play high level next week :)
As you wish. Current VIP List: Mike A qwerty4132 Ian S John M Friend-of-John-M Charlie S Current Backup List: Red Hedgehog ? ? ? ? ? PS: As of this week, I will be going on a no-consecutive-weeks system. If you (the player) play one week, you MAY NOT sign up for the following week. Hopefully this will increase the number of players who get the chance to join!
Are the character creation rules written somewhere?  I know that I will especially need a bit of time for gear if I would be higher than level one.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ian S. General rule of thumb, from what I have observed, is that if you are going to create your own character instead of using a pregen, your character starts at level 1. Phnord has a stable of pregens that players can use and those characters are higher than 1st level. Now with that said, Phnord might have changed that bit so he will let everyone know prior to game (usually here in this thread like he has done many times before).
Ian S. said: Are the character creation rules written somewhere?  I know that I will especially need a bit of time for gear if I would be higher than level one. The official rule book is the  PRD , and all that link directly from it. Level 1 character (Since this is your first game.) Any race. Any class except : Gunslinger, Alchemist, Summoner, possibly others. 25 point buy, OR roll for stats in-game. (The latter, of course, is much more fun.) Two  TRAITS . One set of armor, one melee weapon, one ranged weapon. Of these three, one is Masterwork quality. A total of $1000 starting gold for supplies; if it's in the book, and you can afford it, you can buy it. Build a character that is fun and interesting, NOT one who is really super-awesome! Remember, failure can be fun! You will be filling out an in-game character sheet, similar to the standard Pathfinder one but with a few minor modifications. I think that about covers it. See y'all then! -Phnord PS: Pat S! Thanks for all the advertising, but when are you gonna join us and play!
If Presto is still alive and there's room, I'll play... -Ajax
Ajax said: If Presto is still alive and there's room, I'll play... -Ajax He's still alive, but there's only room on the backup list. To which you've been added. Good luck! Current VIP List: Mike A qwerty4132 Ian S John M Friend-of-John-M Charlie S Current Backup List: Red Hedgehog Ajax ? ? ? ? PS: As of this week, I will be going on a no-consecutive-weeks system. If you (the player) play one week, you MAY NOT sign up for the following week. Hopefully this will increase the number of players who get the chance to join!
Man i always find this post too late but atleast theres the backup!  I would like to join in on the adventure!
If someone hasn't played in the CAI before and they would like to, they may have my spot.
qwerty4132 again, that is most generous of you! I will once again place you in the backup list. Montavius, welcome aboard! Current VIP List: Mike A Ian S John M Friend-of-John-M Charlie S Montavius Current Backup List: Red Hedgehog Ajax qwerty4132 ? ? ? PS: As of this week, I will be going on a no-consecutive-weeks system. If you (the player) play one week, you MAY NOT sign up for the following week. Hopefully this will increase the number of players who get the chance to join! -Phnord
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Phnord Prephect said: See y'all then! -Phnord PS: Pat S! Thanks for all the advertising, but when are you gonna join us and play! I would love to join in a game with you but work and family just does not allow me to do so. Thank you for your offer and if things change, you will see my name popping up for your list.

Edited 1460079461
No problem. I don't mind sharing. I would like to play, but I'm fine with missing out on a game. Maybe I'll get to spawn out of some roots or something like last time. XD Maybe I could play a villain at some point. lol I know that won't happen.
qwerty4132 you are a god among men! A thousand blessings!
lol No I'm not. I just feel like newcomers should get first dibs. If there weren't any newcomers, then I'd be holding down my spot like a fortress. XD
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Unless I was able to play then I would boot you out of your spot without looking twice.  :P (not really since I was the one to point you in this direction)
Pat S. said: Unless I was able to play then I would boot you out of your spot without looking twice.  :P (not really since I was the one to point you in this direction) How would you be booting me out of my spot when I said I'm willing to forfeit my spot? In your case, I'd simply be returning a favor. You wouldn't get to be the villain. I won't LET you be the villain. :P
hey this is johns friend. ill be here tomorrow night. 
We had a player drop due to audio issues, so tonight's backup player is: Red Hedgehog! Red, you're getting a link, check yer PMs! The rest of y'all, watch us on  YouTube , we'll start broadcasting soon! -Phnord

Edited 1460238169
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
qwerty4132 said: Pat S. said: Unless I was able to play then I would boot you out of your spot without looking twice.  :P (not really since I was the one to point you in this direction) How would you be booting me out of my spot when I said I'm willing to forfeit my spot? In your case, I'd simply be returning a favor. You wouldn't get to be the villain. I won't LET you be the villain. :P But what if I wanted to be the villain. :D
Tell me you're not busy right now, Pat!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm about to be. I have a variety of things to get done: shopping to do, got to build stairs on a deck, have yard work to do, dishes, laundry, cook dinner and some other stuff. Probably won't get the stairs or yard work started but the rest will be keeping me busy.
Ah well... have fun!
Pat S. said: qwerty4132 said: Pat S. said: Unless I was able to play then I would boot you out of your spot without looking twice.  :P (not really since I was the one to point you in this direction) How would you be booting me out of my spot when I said I'm willing to forfeit my spot? In your case, I'd simply be returning a favor. You wouldn't get to be the villain. I won't LET you be the villain. :P But what if I wanted to be the villain. :D You're not allowed. You keep promoting the CAI which means it's impossible for you to be a villain. :P