Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Savage Worlds / Deadlands Reloaded rules questions, help needed

It seems that I keep failing to find certain information from the rules books. If you can help, please do. 1) Reloading in savage worlds how does it work? 2) Reloading in Deadlands Reloaded how does it work? My #1 problem is that I don't know if reloading reloads the gun from empty to full or 1 bullet. Also it doesn't say anything about reloading being a free action in the rules but here <a href="http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23078" rel="nofollow">http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23078</a> it's said that " Ranged Weapons with a listed Reload time work as stated to reload a single shot. Reloading a single shot of ammunition in any other weapon is a free action. " But also here <a href="http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40178&amp;sid=ecee69a9979dd38b01602217739e2a57" rel="nofollow">http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40178&amp;sid=ecee69a9979dd38b01602217739e2a57</a> "The rest of the guns (w/o "Reload 2") need one action to reload and can be fired the turn they are reloaded with -2 penalty. The reloading does not require an agility roll, and all 6 bullets are reloaded." And I couldn't find anything in the actual rules that would say that this is different in SW and DR. Please help me! I feel like I'm loosing my mind here. The more I read the more confused I'm getting. 3) How many actions can you take? Is 3 maximum? 4) Can you do the following? Round 1: start reloading a weapon with reload 2, make a fighting attack, make an intimidate roll Round 2 continue reloading the weapon, make a fighting attack make an intimidate roll Thanks to anyone willing to help me.
1) Reloading in savage worlds how does it work? I'm looking at Ranged Weapons in Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition (pg. 62).&nbsp; Bow has no notes regarding reload time, so it can be fired each round as an action (no reloading necessary).&nbsp; The Crossbow, however, states that it requires 1 action to reload a crossbow, so it can be shot every other round (unless you opt for the -2 penalty, in which case you can reload and fire in the same round). 2) Reloading in Deadlands Reloaded how does it work? My #1 problem is that I don't know if reloading reloads the gun from empty to full or 1 bullet. Also it doesn't say anything about reloading being a free action in the rules but here <a href="http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23078" rel="nofollow">http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23078</a> it's said that "Ranged Weapons with a listed Reload time work as stated to reload a single shot. Reloading a single shot of ammunition in any other weapon is a free action." But also here <a href="http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40178&amp;sid=ecee69a9979dd38b01602217739e2a57" rel="nofollow">http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40178&amp;sid=ecee69a9979dd38b01602217739e2a57</a> "The rest of the guns (w/o "Reload 2") need one action to reload and can be fired the turn they are reloaded with -2 penalty. The reloading does not require an agility roll, and all 6 bullets are reloaded." And I couldn't find anything in the actual rules that would say that this is different in SW and DR. Please help me! I feel like I'm loosing my mind here. The more I read the more confused I'm getting. Reloading in Deadlands Reloaded works the same as in Savage Worlds.&nbsp; It takes the weapon to "full" whatever that means.&nbsp; So, if you are spending an action to reload a revolver, when you are done, the gun is full (i.e. 6 rounds of ammo).&nbsp; If you are reloading a crossbow, at the end of the round, it is full (i.e 1 crossbow bolt). 3) How many actions can you take? Is 3 maximum? You can take as many actions as you want as long as you are willing to take the penalties.&nbsp; Each action above 1 incurs a -2 penalty (which applies to every action).&nbsp; If I make a only fighting attack there is no penalty.&nbsp; but I decide to make a fighting attack with each hand, then both rolls are -2.&nbsp; If I decide to make a fighting attack with each arm and then try to kick someone, all three rolls are made at -4.&nbsp; If I want to do the same, but kick with each leg, then all four attacks are made at -6.&nbsp; I could then try to shoot someone and all five attacks would be at -8, and so on. 4) Can you do the following? Round 1: start reloading a weapon with reload 2, make a fighting attack, make an intimidate roll Round 2 continue reloading the weapon, make a fighting attack make an intimidate roll Yes, but... Round 1: The fighting attack and the intimidation would both be at -4 penalty to the roll Round 2:&nbsp; Same as Round 1 Round 3:&nbsp; You could then fire the reloaded weapon, make a fighting attack and an intimidation, but all would be at -4 Thanks to anyone willing to help me. You're welcome, assuming this did help.&nbsp; If not, let me know and I'll see if I can clarify anything. :)

Edited 1378169995
Maetco said: It seems that I keep failing to find certain information from the rules books. If you can help, please do. 1) Reloading in savage worlds how does it work? Maetco, what exactly are you trying to reload? &nbsp;There's going to be subtle differences between a single shot weapon, a revolver without using a speedloader, a semi-automatic weapon or a revolver with a speedloader. Also, to add on to Carl above regarding multiple actions: • A character may not make more than one Fighting attack with the same weapon in one round In essence, a hero may not perform the same action twice in a round—he can’t make two simultaneous Intimidation rolls or cast two different spells. He could make a Fighting and a Shooting attack if he had a gun in one hand and a knife in the other, however, and could even issue a Taunt at the same time. He could only make two Fighting attacks if he had a knife in each hand, however (or had the Frenzy Edge).

Edited 1378213189
I have the deluxe version of SW so some of the writing might be a bit different. This is what it says under reloading: "Antique weapons, such as muskets and crossbows, are very slow to reload...which means the weapon can fire evey third round if the firer does nothing but load every action." which got me to think that you can't take any other actions as long as you are reloading. Hence my question #4. What confused me more was the fact that I couldn't find a weapon in the SW book which would have "1 action to reload" but I just had missed crossbow (the freaking example from the rule) even after going through the list like 3 times. Now it makes a lot more sense. It takes that many actions to reload and if nothing is said about reload it takes 0 actions. Got it. How this relates to DR? Should it say after each weapon in DR "1 action to reload" unless it already has something else about reloading (eg. 2 actions to reload)? This is what confused me a lot. In SW there are revolvers and they have nothing about reload time -&gt; it takes 0 actions to reload, right? DR has revolvers and they have nothing about reload time -&gt;&nbsp; it takes 0 actions to reload, right? No because DR has its own section about reloading saying that reloading a weapon takes an action. I didn't fully relize that this was DR-only-rule. After reading Carls answer I now understand the situation as such that reloading a SW revolver takes 0 actions and reloading a DR revolver takes 1 action even thought both have to be reloaded 1 bullet at a time. Is this right? The reason I was confused about the number of actions one can take in a turn was because there are 2 examples about multiple actions and in both 3 actions were made. So this was just a coincidence and you can make as many actions as you like with the restrictions that every action after the first gives a penalty of -2 to every action taken that turn reguiring a test and that one can't make a specific action more than once a turn. So you could make 8 different actions in a turn with a penalty of (8-1)*(-2)=-14 to them all. The other forum just confused me even more with claims like this: "Ranged Weapons with a listed Reload time work as stated to reload a single shot." I can't find anything in the rules that would support this. ATM I'm assuming that there is no written rules for reloading 1 bullet instead of from empty to full. Is this correct? To Dave: Basically any weapons would do but for example in DR Colt Army (6 shots, nothing about reload), Colt-Paterson (7 shots, Reload 2) and Sharp's Big 50 (1 shot, nothing about reload).

Edited 1378225859
Quick caveat: &nbsp;I know nothing of Deadlands, Deadlands Reloaded or the like. &nbsp;My experience is with Savage Worlds Deluxe in modern day and near-future settings. &nbsp;The following should be viewed as conjecture based on what I've read and you might be better of posting your question over at the official Pinnacle forums, where everyone is pretty friendly. You should be able to perform multiple actions while reloading as Carl describes above. &nbsp;The GM would be within his or her rights to request an agility roll to see if any progress is made in reloading the weapon. &nbsp;Antique weapons such as muskets require the user to measure out a portion of black powder, properly seat the wad/ball into the chamber and then ready the weapon to fire. &nbsp;This can be a cumbersome process and by the game rules require multiple normal actions. &nbsp;Note that you couldn't perform multiple "reloading" actions in a single round by the rules as written. For reloading revolvers, the first linked&nbsp; ruling from Clint &nbsp;would then apply. &nbsp;Only if you had a revolver that used a speedloader (which off the top of my head, none were in use in the late 1800's) would you be able to completely reload a revolver as a normal action - and then fire at a -2 penalty. &nbsp;So, instead you may load a single bullet* as a free action. &nbsp;This means you would need six or seven rounds worth of free actions in order to completely reload a revolver. &nbsp;Based on how this is described, each round you could load a single bullet as a free action and then fire normally; this isn't particularly realistic and as a GM, I'd at least call for an agility roll as described in the post. If you wanted to reload more than one bullet into a revolver (or other weapon with an integral magazine) then you can load up to half of your Agility die in bullets each round, again at the GM's discretion may require an Agility roll. &nbsp; Example: &nbsp;A character with a d8 Agility die may reload 4 bullets into a revolver . &nbsp;This is a normal action and so would require any other actions to have a -2 penalty attached to them during that round. &nbsp;So, you could load 4 bullets into the revolver and then fire at -2 or use two rounds to completely reload the revolver. Assuming there was a revolver that used a speedloader, you would completely reload the weapon with a normal action. There are ways of firing more than one shot out of a weapon, see the "fanning the hammer" rules from DR or the rapid fire rules on p. 75 of Savage Worlds Deluxe. &nbsp;If you are using those types of rules, it becomes more important to load more than a single bullet each round, which is why you'd want to use the normal action to load multiple bullets each round, instead of just one bullet with a free action. *Pedantic note: &nbsp;I'm using "bullet" here even when it's not technically correct to avoid confusion with "round" in the RPG/Savage Worlds sense. EDIT: &nbsp;Check out the Wikipedia page for the Colt Paterson revolver&nbsp; here. &nbsp; It describes the reloading process of the weapon, I doubt someone could fully reload the revolver in 12 seconds (2 rounds) as described, but then this is a game.

Edited 1378287046
Thanks Dave for your reply. The reason why I didn't post my question in Pinnacle forum was that when someone asked about reloading Clint (who seems to be some sort of official representatitive of Pinnacle) just referred to an earlier post he had made without actually answering the question. I have no problems understanding what Clint is saying. I have trouble finding anything in the rulebooks that would support anything Clint is saying. When you said: Dave D. said: So, instead you may load a single bullet* as a free action. &nbsp;This means you would need six or seven rounds worth of free actions in order to completely reload a revolver...If you wanted to reload more than one bullet into a revolver (or other weapon with an integral magazine) then you can load up to half of your Agility die in bullets each round, again at the GM's discretion may require an Agility roll. &nbsp; Example: &nbsp;A character with a d8 Agility die may reload 4 bullets into a revolver . &nbsp;This is a normal action and so would require any other actions to have a -2 penalty attached to them during that round. &nbsp;So, you could load 4 bullets into the revolver and then fire at -2 or use two rounds to completely reload the revolver. Assuming there was a revolver that used a speedloader, you would completely reload the weapon with a normal action. did you just quote Clint or is this how you understand the rules? I'm assuming that you were just quoting Clint because you said you know nothing about DR. And by quoting I don't mean literallly quoting. I just mean that you read what he had said and tried to explain that to me. You seem to know how things are in SW and DR uses those rules with the exceptions mentioned in the DR rulebook then could you perhaps explain how reloading works in SW? Does it have rules like "you can load up to half of your Agility die in bullets each round" and if yes then could you please give page refs? I'm starting a new campaign sooner or later in DR world and when I start to introduce these new rules to my players I don't want to answer them when they ask me "where is it said" (referring to a page in the rulebook) by saying "a dude said so in some forum". I really appreciate the help.
I asked in the Pinnacle forum and got the answer I was looking for (one that would be derived from the rulebooks and I can understand it). Basically in SWDEX the rules are reload times per round (shot) and if there is nothing about reload time then the reload time is 0 actions and it's up to the GM to decide how many actions it takes to reload the weapon full. In DR you are not supposed to use the SWDEX rules as the base rules and on top of which the DR rules are put but instead you are pretty much supposed to ignore the SWDEX rules and just use the DR rules. In DR the reload times are per "weapon" (from empty to full). Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately I'm quoting Clint and trying to explain and rationalize it in the context of a realistic and tactical game system like you were looking for from another thread. &nbsp;The extent of reloading rules in Savage Worlds Deluxe edition consists solely of a paragraph on p.49 and then the various reloading times listed in the weapon tables. &nbsp;I would take Clint's posting as an official expansion of the limited rules given in the Deluxe Corebook and use them, given the limited information on p. 49. &nbsp;As far as a dude on some forum, his word is pretty good (and worth more than mine, for sure). If there are specific rules for reloading in Deadlands Reloaded, then those rules would supersede the above as setting books take priority over the core book. &nbsp;I can't get in to detail in this case, not having access to Deadlands Reloaded.