Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Complaints about the Player Directory.

Under Player Profile both the "Enjoys Playing" and "Seeks Group For" drop down boxes have these issues with the list of games. The list is unsorted.  To Fix: sort list alphabetically. The entries in the list display inconsistent use of acronyms and abbreviations.  To Fix: spell out full names of all systems on list. {"Vampire"=>"The Masquerade"} is the only game listed to contain quotes and curly brackets. To Fix: Edit. Shadowrun is only listed as Any Edition.  To Fix: Shadowrun systems should receive same treatment as Dungeons and Dragons systems White wolf products listings are a mess. To Fix: take two aspirin and a nap, this is going to be a long one, then White Wolf systems should receive same treatment as Dungeons and Dragons systems. Dungeons and Dragons systems are not also listed as a grouped product line. To Fix: Dungeons and Dragons systems should receive the same treatment as other systems.
I just pushed out a fix for the "Vampire" error, and now the list is sorted alphabetically. As for the various editions/gaming systems, right now our rule of thumb is to only list a "category" if it's feasible that at least 1,000 people on Roll20 are playing it. So for example there are most definitely 1,000+ people playing each D&D 3.5 and 4E, but right now there aren't 1,000+ people playing each individual Shadowrun edition. Our goal with this is to have a list that is succinct, yet where no single category gets overwhelmed with too many game/player listings. We'll keep an eye on it though and see how it goes.
1 Bug, 1 suggestion lol. Bug) the 50+players doesn't show discription most of the time, rather leading to the dynamic image, but not adding the description text. Suggestion) I'm not sure how it'd play out, but possibly something to add really quickly, then yank if it's unmanagable, but adding "Misc." as a game, as there's some systems that aren't classified and don't have enough players to warrant an actual gaming system tag.

Edited 1378327189
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Yeah, we should add an "Other" option, for sure. EDIT: I actually just added it. Also the Playedwith50 achievement description should be fixed.
The discrete list of game system categories is an impediment to the reason I signed up for roll20.net: "To find a group of people to play some games of Mutants and Masterminds Third Edition with."

Edited 1378331295
Gauss
Forum Champion
John, if the game you want is not listed choose the Other games category and then put your game interest in your profile. Eventually if enough people have a specific game in their profile the Devs may add it to the list of games.  - Gauss
With respect, people looking for games and finding Other, I know you don't want a huge list on searchable fields, but, if the goal is quick find, people are now having to comb through profiles.  And the profile fields do not allow adding of games they want to play or groups to run.  The games would have to be listed in Bio, unless I missed something.
Suggestion: Break the Other Games into multiple categories!  examples: By genre, By first letter of system name, By time range of publication, By user's favorite color, By the LeBlanc 8 kinds of fun.
A few more suggestions/complaints: 1) A way to save my selections in the " Find Players Seeking Any of These Games" box so I don't have to select each option every time.  2) A way to filter by days of the week players are available.  If my game is on Saturday I don't need to sift through all the people not available Saturday.

Edited 1378394992
Suggestion: Additionally to what Justin wrote about the days, if I am looking for players I don't want to message each and every one to find out what their timezone is. Since this is a setting that should already be present in a players' profile (since that is what shows forum posts, campaign play times and the likes in your own time) this should hopefully be easy to link to. Maybe? Anyway, we need timezone information :)
Just a thought to add to Justin and Mouse's suggestions:  Have the time of day available for play also listed with days. And make this searchable for GMs.  I would love to find out who is available to play D&D 4th Edition on Fridays @7PM PDT, Saturdays @ 12PM - 6PM, etc...

Edited 1378402544
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
How about a check mark to activate a persons profile in the player directory to indicate that they are looking for a game. That would then turn it into a easier tool to find people that are actively wanting to game and combined that with the game tag types, you would be able to find all players actively seeking a game for your game system. I'm not seeking any game right now unless I specifically post or pm the the GM but it lists me as seeking games just because I completed my profile. If I missed that option then I'm sorry but I didn't see it. (did an edit to make my first sentence understandable)
+1 to metro
Metroknight said: I'm not seeking any game right now unless I specifically post or pm the the GM but it lists me as seeking games just because I completed my profile. If I missed that option then I'm sorry but I didn't see it. (did an edit to make my first sentence understandable) On my profile page it specifically says: " Adding games to this field will automatically list you in the Player Directory so GMs can find you and invite you to join their games. " And that is for the category called "Seeks Group For" so I do think that it states just that.
Mouse: RE Timezones.  People work second shifts, Timezones is a misleading datapoint.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
And that is for the category called "Seeks Group For" so I do think that it states just that. I know it does what it is suppose to do but if you are seeking 15 different types of systems to get a game are you willing to go back to profile to remove all your tags then later on if that group tanks, put all those tags back in only to repeat the process? The checkmark could just disable or enable that listing. Set up the game types you are interested and use the checkmark to control if you are on the listing or not.
Metroknight said: And that is for the category called "Seeks Group For" so I do think that it states just that. I know it does what it is suppose to do but if you are seeking 15 different types of systems to get a game are you willing to go back to profile to remove all your tags then later on if that group tanks, put all those tags back in only to repeat the process? The checkmark could just disable or enable that listing. Set up the game types you are interested and use the checkmark to control if you are on the listing or not. True, I agree.
I find it hard to believe someone playing for only 3 hours has played with a hundred people or more?
Gauss
Forum Champion
There is (at least one) campaign that has over 200 players in it. A player entering that campaign or one like it would probably qualify.  - Gauss
Murgh Bpurn said: I find it hard to believe someone playing for only 3 hours has played with a hundred people or more? Gauss said: There is (at least one) campaign that has over 200 players in it. A player entering that campaign or one like it would probably qualify.  - Gauss This is correct. Some people are just in huge campaigns. That's why we track both the number of hours played, and the number of people played with. Note that the number played with is not "simulataneously in the game board with", it's simply, "in a campaign with." 
Riley D. said: I just pushed out a fix for the "Vampire" error, and now the list is sorted alphabetically. As for the various editions/gaming systems, right now our rule of thumb is to only list a "category" if it's feasible that at least 1,000 people on Roll20 are playing it. So for example there are most definitely 1,000+ people playing each D&D 3.5 and 4E, but right now there aren't 1,000+ people playing each individual Shadowrun edition. Our goal with this is to have a list that is succinct, yet where no single category gets overwhelmed with too many game/player listings. We'll keep an eye on it though and see how it goes. While I can see this being useful for games with multiple editions, I think it might squash new games trying to find a footing. I've been trying to find a Legend of the Five Rings game for ages and have had little luck, was hoping this might spur some activity for it, but it's not on the list, so there still isn't an option to search for that game.
I agree - the list is limiting... and it kind of sucks that it is now easier to search for someone who wants to play (yawn) Pathfinder, or D&D, than someone who would like to play something really obscure / indie. Finding players for a mainstream game is already easy enough - so really the function fails where it would be most useful... finding someone willing to play that indie game you desperately want to play. Goodness - this is my first ever outbreak of niche nerd rage. I must feel strongly about it. Fix it Roll20!! Save me from... myself!!
I also agree, hard to find games if not in the database. I ran into this myself and requested politely to have my preferred game (Traveller) listed, now I am set to run two groups of it via roll 20. Best I could say is we get a listing of all games made, post it on forums and have at it, or a mentor could post a game called looking for GMs for: and list all the games in the history of published games or pretty near? seems like duplicating effort, though. But I would join a Legenf of 5 rings game, if it fit into my schedule. I'm also a guy seeking weird / obscure like Skyrealms of Jorune RPG, or Aftermath! (both late 80's RPGs).