Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Can we make the [Ruler Tool/Path Tool] Stick in place (but still movable/adjustable)?

I'm trying to use the Ruler tool to measure between two points so that tokens and objects can be moved specific distances, but the ruler disappears as soon as I let go of the mouse button and before I can actually move the token. This means I have to 'eyeball' the distance instead of being more precise. I would like to have an option to make the ruler remain in place (but still remain movable/adjustable) to use it as a distance guide while moving a token object (such as a tank). It would be even better if some sort of Path (multiple adjustable points with the total distance indicated) tool could be added. Example: I have a tank token and I am playing a wargame. The tank has a movement distance 6 units. I need to measure the distance between the front of the tank token (click and hold) and then drag the second point out to where I might want to move the tank to while knowing how long (how many units) the second point is in relation to the first point. Then I let go and the ruler line remains in place until I dismiss it (might want keep the ruler out the whole game and just move/adjust it. might want to dismiss it each time). I could still adjust the first point and/or the second point or even move the whole ruler at once (by grabbing it by a icon near the center or something) after I let go of the mouse. I could then move my tank token to its new position using the guide ruler as the furthest distance I can move the tank token from its current position. Then, after moving the tank token, I could dismiss the ruler by some action (clicking on an x or right clicking on it or something like that or simply keep it on screen and move/readjust it when I want to move the next tank). This would help facilitate a large variety of tactical wargames and miniatures games where you can only move a token a specific distance.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A great suggestion which is partially covered by  this feature . There is still more functionality that you have suggested that isn't covered but in the mean time it might help with some of your woes :)
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This suggestion is now live.