Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Sheets and NPCs

This is probably a general question, though in particular it's going to be for Pathfinder and the Pathfinder character sheet. Generally, the way I (as GM) have been doing things in Roll20 is to create a character which represents a generic type of NPC (goblin, town guard, hill giant), and then used a token for each individual instance of that creature type. So all instances share one character, and I've used the 3 colour stats on the token to represent unique things (hitpoints (green), AC (blue) and a bonus to hit/damage (red)). These colours aren't tied to the attributes on the character. Looking at character sheets though, a lot of the normal bonuses/penalties are built into the character, and to make use of this every token would need to be backed by it's own character. Is this how people generally do things? One character per token for every NPC? It seems a bit heavy weight, and would make it hard to tweak all creatures of a particular type, but I can't see an obvious way of taking advantage of character sheets if I continue doing things my old way.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I create a unique character sheet for named NPC's and unique monster's and the BBEG.  However, for mooks (say 20 gnolls) you can make one sheet for a gnoll (use the NPC page of the sheet), linked to a token (using represents) and I'll link the token bars to AC, HP and maybe CMD or whatever...  and set up any ability/token macros you may want.  For mooks, I will "un-link" the token bars at this point , then I copy/paste the token as needed.  The token's will have unique stat's that do not affect the sheet and I can still bring up a gnoll's sheet (shift+double click on the token) to roll off of.  One sheet, many mooks.
So for mooks, you don't make use of any of the toggles for stunned, dazed etc that are on the character sheet?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Samuel Penn said: So for mooks, you don't make use of any of the toggles for stunned, dazed etc that are on the character sheet? Making mooks like this only removes the status bar link from the sheet to prevent changing a token's status bar (ie subtracting HP) and have it subtract HP from all the other copy/pasted tokens... Since the mooks are still using the same sheet, toggling conditions and buffs and/or all other changes made to the sheet will remain in affect regardless of the mook selected.  You will need to "adjust" the sheet as needed per mook, make adjustments on the fly(mental math), create a unique sheet for every mook(lots of work), or don't use a sheet for monsters and keep stat block info on the token(GM notes) or some other option...   I guess you have to ask, what would you do at a real gaming table?  Normally you have one statblock for a monster even if the encounter may include six of them.