Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Handout Search

Is this a pro or a GM-only feature? Today after tons of hours of roll20 play I realized my players have to scroll through over a hundred handouts as they do not have a search textfield. Is this something maybe for a suggestion?

Edited 1461275909
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
They only have to search through hundreds if you assigned them all to your players. As a GM you will see all but a player wont. A work around is to make a handout that is an index of all of them then archive the hundreds of handouts. To make an index handout. You make a normal handout and put the name of the handout you wanted listed like this [Name] in the text field viewable to players. Now if a player clicks on that name, that handout will open. Sorry for any misspells and lack of links. Using my phone to reply.
They are for all the players and there is a good point for them having them. So this is a GM only feature and therefore worthy a suggestion? Or is this a "pro" feature and limited to subscribers on purpose (which would make a suggestion pretty useless)?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is a GM feature.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Pat S. said: A work around is to make a handout that is an index of all of them then archive the hundreds of handouts. To make an index handout. You make a normal handout and put the name of the handout you wanted listed like this [Name] in the text field viewable to players. Now if a player clicks on that name, that handout will open. Sorry for any misspells and lack of links. Using my phone to reply. Links: Archive Handout Link Between Journal Entries
Thank you Silvyre, I am aware of that, but that is not what I asked for at all :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Wandler said: Is this a pro or a GM-only feature? Today after tons of hours of roll20 play I realized my players have to scroll through over a hundred handouts as they do not have a search textfield. Is this something maybe for a suggestion? Pat S. said: It is a GM feature. For your suggestions, we offer the Suggestions & Ideas forum, which is based on voting from the whole community. Please review our Forum Voting wiki page for more information on how voting works, and our Suggestions & Ideas Posting Guidelines for the added expectations above and beyond our standard Code of Conduct .
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: Pat S. said: A work around is to make a handout that is an index of all of them then archive the hundreds of handouts. To make an index handout. You make a normal handout and put the name of the handout you wanted listed like this [Name] in the text field viewable to players. Now if a player clicks on that name, that handout will open. Sorry for any misspells and lack of links. Using my phone to reply. Links: Archive Handout Link Between Journal Entries Wandler said: Thank you Silvyre, I am aware of that, but that is not what I asked for at all :) He was helping me with the links as I have a hard time compiling links on my phone and it was hours (many) before I could return to edit my post.

Edited 1461321928
Silvyre
Forum Champion
You might do well by your players to organize your handouts into [nested] folders. I might task players with this by temporarily promoting them all to co-GM; have them collectively decide on the method of organization they deem optimal (as it affects them the most)? Just a thought.
Thank you, but I know why I asked specifically for the search. As my question was answered It is a GM feature. This thread can be closed.