Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Fate Core Edition] Under redevelopment

Edited 1464508657
I've started (hopefully) improving the Fate Core Edition sheet. Please, feel free to suggest improvements. To do list: Make sure skill boxes are wide enough for all core skills. If not, widen them. Add skills from -2 to +8. Add roll buttons for skills. Add roll modifiers for skill rolls. This time for Mediocre too. Add more skill boxes per skill level and make the skills section the width of the sheet. Drop consequences and stress boxes unders skills section and next to each other: Stress | Consequences. Add a few stress box -lines where the user can write the texts and remove the Social since it is not from the core rulebook (can be confusing to new players). Add text box for misc notes such as 'Notes' or 'Journal'. Under consideration: A way to make it so that only the available stress boxes are shown on the sheet (based on governing skill). Rejected ideas: Add GM roll buttons for skills. Fate is based on open results -> no GM rolls. Should Mediocre skills have boxes too? All skills that are not something else are Mediocre but on the other hand being able to see all available skills in the sheet would be useful especially for new(-ish) players. Having boxes would easily make the skills section too wide -> just one roll button for all Mediocre skills.
Oooh, thanks for those improvements, I really loved the roll buttons when I played yesterday! I like the practicality of having just one button for mediocre skills, but I also like how all the other ones are called by name upon rolling. I've noticed the mediocre roll doesn't ask for modifiers before rolling like the others, though. 
I really appreciate your hard work on the FATE sheet. I played a session with it yesterday and it was a hit with my group. Cheers!
Fred Berthold said: Oooh, thanks for those improvements, I really loved the roll buttons when I played yesterday! I like the practicality of having just one button for mediocre skills, but I also like how all the other ones are called by name upon rolling. I've noticed the mediocre roll doesn't ask for modifiers before rolling like the others, though.  Yeah, that's a mistake. I'll fix it for the next release.
The sheet is now very close to its final form without suggestions from you people. All that is missing are the stress boxes. So if you think that the sheet is not good, do make suggestions on how to make it better.
Sorry, coming a little late to the party I think, but I don't see a way to alter the number of stress boxes in the Physical and Mental tracks, which is difficult because players may have as few as two boxes under the regular core rules. I may have missed it, but I can't find a way to change this.
Dylan Z. said: Sorry, coming a little late to the party I think, but I don't see a way to alter the number of stress boxes in the Physical and Mental tracks, which is difficult because players may have as few as two boxes under the regular core rules. I may have missed it, but I can't find a way to change this. This is something, when implemented in a perfect way, would be nice but I don't even know if it can be implemented in a good way. It basically should be automatic (if my Physique is 3 the sheet would automatically show the correct number of boxes) but I have no idea how to do that especially when the skill can be any skill box above. The other option would be to make a separate "setup" tab where the user could tick the boxes to be visible or not. This could be implemented but I feel it would require too much additional work for me to change the sheet and the sheet user. At first I was thrilled about the complex sheets for Savage Worlds and Pathfinder except later it started to get annoying that I needed to spend time to put the right options for each individual case. Just too much unnecessary work. As it is, it definitely shouldn't be difficult. You should know how many stress boxes each character has available based on the governing skill. Those are at you disposal the rest aren't. If you have hard time remembering, you can use the boxes in the opposite way. Tick the boxes that are available to that character and when you use it, take the tick off. You could also write the number of boxes a character has available under normal situation in the text boxes below. How have you done this with the paper sheet? It also has all 4 boxes visible all the time. Don't get me wrong, I also feel that the sheet would be better if it only showed the boxes available to that character, but I don't really know how to implement that in a good, easy and fast to use way.