Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][Roll20con 10:15 AM PST][D&D5e] A Solemn Wish [*new players only*]

Edited 1462915000
Baron Von Cross
Sheet Author
When: Roll20con, June 3 rd at 10:15 AM PST One-Shot What this is: I'm looking for 5 NEW players who are new to RPGS, not just DnD. I'm running a player academy to teach people about RPGs in general in addition to running a one-shot DnD adventure to teach people 5e. One thing I've noticed is that most new players just learn the basic mechanics of DnD but not much else aside to it. I want to encourage different styles of play in addition to giving some basic do's & don'ts of roleplaying games since many different GMs have their own ways of running games. This is as much an experiment to me as well to see how well I can DM for newer players as well. What I aim to teach: - Theatre of mind vs. Battle maps - Different types of GM/DMing styles - Different types of players - How to develop a character - How to play D&D 5e - How to look appealing to DMs & to get accepted into games Who I'm looking for: - New to Tabletop RPGs - Patient & mature players - Attentive, I'm trying to help 5 people learn the game, if you're doing your own thing then I'm just going to move on. I'm a teacher for this, not a tutor, I can't give 1-on-1 if you won't even attempt to catch some concepts on your own. This Adventure: A Solemn Wish , a horror one-shot (One session) introductory adventure I created for new players. You will begin in the village of Rustbank, a village that sits on the edge of Darkwood, a forest known for its ominous bindings to dimensions beyond this world. However, while many tales circulate about those places, its rare to find those who claim to have seen them. The village itself has seen trouble, hunters have disappeared in recent months, not unusual but more than 12 in a single season is troubling. The villagers awoke one night to screaming in the street, locking their doors. When they awoke, they found a young girl who had been slashed by something that had fled into the night. A message to the duke of Rustbank was sent, & in response he sent his trusted Sergeant Harper with a few guards as well as a call to any adventurers who would help cleanse the Darkwood of the beast that lurks. Adventure Rules: - Will teach you how to create a character together during the session, no pre-session characters - Character must be human for this one-shot - Must have skype, a decent headset, & a quiet room About Me: 22 year old California college student with too much time on his hands. I've DMed D&D 3.5, 4.0, 5.0, Warhammer Rogue Trader, A Song of Fire & Ice Roleplaying, Mutants & Masterminds 3e. I tend to really enjoy DMing serious high-narrative games over rogue-likes dungeoncrawls but I've do both depending on the situation. I don't act much as a player anymore due to difficulties in trying to find campaigns that last, so I run my own. Difficulties in the past with players is one of the reason I'd like to do this academy because I'd like to encourage new people who aren't going to join/disappear or have too much of a specific expectation of what the game will offer. If interested in signing up for the player academy, please post with the template below. I don't know how many people will be interested in this but if there's more than 5 then depending on how this academy goes I might begin doing this weekly in the summer so there's still hope. Template Name: Age: Little about you: What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in:

Edited 1463059220
Name: Jessie Age: 23 Little about you: I'm a student in Florida currently on medical break from school and nothing to do in my spare time. Aspiring writer and teacher, occasional doodler, and passionate lover of all things Dragon Age.  What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: I've always wanted to try, but have never had the opportunity to do a game offline. I started watching Critical Role recently and through that learned about Roll20 and online options for playing. What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: Pathfinder, I think, though I don't know much about it. I've have the most exposure to 5E.

Edited 1463087970
Name : Steven P. Age : 21. Little about you : I'm 21 born and raised in Denmark in a little town outside Copenhagen, I'm educated as a gardener and I enjoy the outsides just as much as the inside, I currently attend school but am already in the middle of exams and I am going to have a lot of spare time soon. What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs : Well the story is a huge part of it, I've played it a few times when I was younger and as far I remember it was really fun. What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in : No idea, until before I was sure D&D was the only one.
Glad to see I have at least 3 people on board, whenever you get a chance, please send me your skype contact through a PM, just so I can talk to everyone a bit more before roll20con.
Name: Greg Age: Ancient (well, 46) Little about me: I played some 1e and 2e back in the Stone Age but have literally not played any RPGs in decades, so I would safely consider myself a total newbie, especially since I have never played on roll20.  I work full time and have kids but may be able to finagle a day off from years of accrued vacation time for roll20con; a one-shot learn-the-ropes game sounds perfect to see if I want to fit some ongoing adventures around the regular work/kiddo schedule. What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs : I enjoyed playing them in school, but had to stop as my friends grew out of them, even as I did not.  With that work/parent schedule, I never found the time to meet people and start playing face-to-face again, and I am hoping roll20 can offer me a way back in. What other RPGs aside from D&D are you interested in: For now, just 5e, though I fondly remember playing a few others, notably Aftermath! back in the day.  We played more descriptive than acting-in-character role playing, but I am very interested in trying a more role playing style.
Still have more room if anyone else is interested.
Name:Leon Z. Age:27 Little about you:I'm an IT-er that works at a major ISP in the Netherlands. Generally being a geek and a pretty big gamer. What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: For as long as I can remember playing D&D sounded like fun, unfortunately not having a gaming store (or the like) in any decent vicinity nor having any friends that play RPG's I've never really gotten into it. Some months ago I found some D&D podcasts and video's which I enjoyed watching/listening to and started to wanting to play this for myself. Having heared of roll20 threw 'Order of the burning chalice' I suddenly felt like there was a good way for my situation to try and start with RPG's. (sidenote, currently reading the basic rules from the D&D website so i'll at least have some idea about the mechanics and such). What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: mostly just earlier editions of D&D and pathfinder, haven't heared much more about the other RPG's but if i like this (which i'm assuming I will ) I'll be open for more RPG's.
Name : Kris K Age: 31 About me? I'm going back to college, just trying to get by while I work through school! What got me interested? Catching a video of Critical Role on twitch, initially, then digging into the internet to find other videos on youtube, and circling back to twitch led me to Roll20.  Knew about the game before, would occasionally bump into players when I played MtG locally, but it was never really on my radar so to speak. Other games from D&D?  I don't really know, What else is there? (My exposure so far is limited!)
Name:Jake  Age:16 About me: just finished sophomore year of high school. I've accepted the fact that I'm a bit of a "Nerd" (I like anime, manga, sci-fi etc,.) Interest in Tabletop RPGs: I've heard of D&D before and have always been into card games and board games like vanguard or classics like Risk. But my interest really peeked when I saw the 5e starter set at my local card shop. After which i came across Roll20 which is what got me particularly interested in playing some games. I have read through the Starter set both the actual quest and the basic game rules that came with the game but haven't had any chance to actually play besides some solo adventures i found online, Other RPGs: I'm not sure if its what you mean but I've always really enjoyed Bethesda's works I own several elder scrolls games and fallout.
Name: Benjamin Age: 15 Little about you: Hey! My name's Benjamin. I'm about to finish my first year of high-school, I'm a marching tuba player, Python/Javascript programmer, and excited about D&D (and all tabletop games).  What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: My dad has always been a big fan of tabletop RPG games, and so when I grew old enough to understand he wanted to play a D&D campaign so I could be just as excited about it as he was. Unfortunately we haven't often been able to find players who want to slow down enough to teach a beginner (me). There have been a few exceptions, but I felt like the campaigns were very short and didn't teach me anything about the game. I really want to get to know this game and learn about it. Can't wait to play with you! What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: I don't know of much, but Pathfinder seems really interesting from hat I've heard.
LinkJoker said: Name:Jake  Age:16 About me: just finished sophomore year of high school. I've accepted the fact that I'm a bit of a "Nerd" (I like anime, manga, sci-fi etc,.) Interest in Tabletop RPGs: I've heard of D&D before and have always been into card games and board games like vanguard or classics like Risk. But my interest really peeked when I saw the 5e starter set at my local card shop. After which i came across Roll20 which is what got me particularly interested in playing some games. I have read through the Starter set both the actual quest and the basic game rules that came with the game but haven't had any chance to actually play besides some solo adventures i found online, Other RPGs: I'm not sure if its what you mean but I've always really enjoyed Bethesda's works I own several elder scrolls games and fallout. Benjamin K. said: Name: Benjamin Age: 15 Little about you: Hey! My name's Benjamin. I'm about to finish my first year of high-school, I'm a marching tuba player, Python/Javascript programmer, and excited about D&D (and all tabletop games).  What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: My dad has always been a big fan of tabletop RPG games, and so when I grew old enough to understand he wanted to play a D&D campaign so I could be just as excited about it as he was. Unfortunately we haven't often been able to find players who want to slow down enough to teach a beginner (me). There have been a few exceptions, but I felt like the campaigns were very short and didn't teach me anything about the game. I really want to get to know this game and learn about it. Can't wait to play with you! What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: I don't know of much, but Pathfinder seems really interesting from hat I've heard. Sorry but at the moment, I'm full on players, I still have some people who haven't contacted me on skype yet so if theres room later on I'll send you a PM. There is also a chance I might run a different session a different week depending on how well this one goes.

Edited 1463469324
My friend, sister, and I were interested in learning to play DnD, but since we all have busy work schedules, it's hard to commit to longterm campaigns. We won't be able to attend for the roll20con session since all of us work all-day, but I hope you decide to hold future sessions! I'm pasting my information below just in case! Name: Christina Age: 25 Little about you: I am a laidback administrative professional (paper pusher) hailing from beautiful Southern California. I previously tutored and taught college-level composition at my university. I recently graduated with my MA in English and Literature and hope to use my expertise to write professionally (once I can afford it haha). I used to spend a lot of my freetime in highschool and undergrad writing text-based rps with my friends, but as I got older, they got pushed aside by aggressive adulting. Now, most of my freetime is spent playing videogames and bingeing Netflix and podcasts. What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: I always thought they looked like fun, but social anxiety kept me from pursuing it when I was younger. I tried a small campaign when I was at a convention last month, and I want to learn more! What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: I'm open to anything atthe moment!
Template Name:Gareth Age:33 Little about you: i'm a mcds crew trainer from south wales. I like to spend spare time playing computer games ( rpgs are probably my favourite kind) reading a good fantasy or sci-fi novel, (currently rereading the malazan books of the fallen) and love a good comedy fim. What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs :been playing crpgs since Baldurs Gate came out, loved it and most D&D pc games, that got me into rpgs in general and have been wanting to get into tabletop games since i first saw a live broadcast of a game, LRR playing temple of the lava bears, watched others since then and have just been joesing for a game haha   What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: Pathfinder maybe, Paranoia looks really good too. 
Hey! Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I'd still love to join in if you end up doing multiple sessions. Name: Andrea Age: 22 Little about you: Recent college grad with a BA in German, originally from a tiny town in Washington. My hobbies are reading, music, learning languages, and knitting (it's an excellent excuse to marathon Star Trek).  What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: It's something I've been interested in for a while, but I never had any friends who really played them or wanted to learn how to play with me. Recently I just decided to dig my heels in and learn, so here I am. What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: Maybe Pathfinder? In all honesty, I know that there are other RPGs but I don't know the premises of any of them. 
Name: Lindsay Age: 25 Little about you: I am Christina's aforementioned friend who is interested in future sessions! I have an MA in Creative Writing for Young People and I have been roleplaying online as long as I can remember. I substitute teach for work so I have a lot of free time to write during the day.  What made you want to get into Tabletop RPGs: I saw a Doctor Who RPG online and wanted to get into it, so I bought it and then never found anyone to play it with. What other RPGs aside from D&D you are interested in: Anything sounds good!
Name: Bas Age: 17 Little about you: I'm completely new to these kind of games, but eager to learn. I'm still in high school so i don't have a lot of time besides the weekends. I'm not that great at anything besides video games and kickboxing, but i have a great imagination What made you want to get into tabletop RPGs: I saw a few videos of some frienda playing DnD and i wanted to try it myself What other RPGs aside from DnD are you interested in: I wouldn't know, I'm completely new to the genre but i may want to try some recommendations