Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Drawing on "large" maps is badly broken

I put "large" in quotes because the maps don't actually have to be that large - I have a hex map that's 57x23 units and I'm having all kinds of trouble. I've had some of these problems on smaller maps as well, but they're very consistent if the map becomes large enough that you can't zoom out to see the whole thing. Problems that I've observed: Zooming all the way out on the map frequently causes it to disappear entirely. Dragging any tool off the edge of the map breaks its positioning - sometimes, the object being drawn "sticks" to the edge of the map and then when you try to bring the mouse back to the map, the object maintains its relative position to the mouse (so it's no longer anywhere near the mouse). Sometimes, the edge of the object being dragged disappears off the edge of the map and becomes irretrievable.  Frequently, objects (especially lines and hollow shapes) can only be selected by dragging a box over them. There's no pixel you can click that will select the object. Once in a while, an object will be selectable but not otherwise modifiable. This one I haven't been able to reproduce at will, but once it happens it's really hard to get rid of.
I have noticed some of these, as well.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hey Aaron, sorry you're having issues with the editor. All of the things you've listed are known issues, and on our list of things to fix when we get the chance. Most of them can be worked around by zooming in. When the objects, or drawn lines, are very small on the screen they can behave strangely sometimes. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks! It doesn't seem to have a lot to do with the visual size of the objects, though, only the size of the map. The last one (which is the issue that prompted me to write this post, since my work on the map was stopped dead by my inability to edit a rectangle) isn't solved by zooming in or in any other way that I can find.