Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with Macro - Whispering the player who used the macro

Edited 1378943234
Sam
Sheet Author
I wrote a macro to help a user quickly calculate their power attack modifier. The result outputs to the chat however the constant chat spam could get annoying. I was thinking of solving this issue by sending the output to the specific player who asked for it via a whisper. However there is no way to know before hand who that player might be.  I was wondering if the whisper function had a "me" or "self" feature like /w self or /w me. If not is this something we could have in the future devs? :) For anyone who was curious the code for this macro is: Your power attack modifier is [[floor(?{Base Attack Bonus|0}/4)+1]]

Edited 1378945775
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can whisper to yourself by typing your own name as the target. For example this would whisper the message to me: /w Gauss this is a test Regarding the macro, Im curious why they do not put the Power attack modifier in their own attack and damage macros?  - Gauss
Sam
Sheet Author
this macro is to quickly calculate what it would be and then they are able to put it where ever they wanted to have it. The problem I'm faced with is I can't hard code a name into the whisper function because I don't know who would use the macro

Edited 1378946660
Gauss
Forum Champion
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was curious why the player does not include the power attack bonus in their own macro on their character's character sheet.  - Gauss

Edited 1378963678
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is no built-in way to whisper to "self," as far as I know. An API script is capable of accomplishing this, however.
Dylan G.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Something I just started doing to speed up whispers is to make a roll query for the whisper target. Thus you could make a macro with /w  ?{Recipient} Your power attack modifier is [[floor(?{Base Attack Bonus|0}/4)+1]]. This would prompt the player to provide the name of the person the message would go to. In this case, him- or herself.
Bill K.
Pro
Sheet Author
In my experience, power-attack varies by situation.  A high level fighter can power attack for, say, 1 to 10, and might go the full 10 against a gelatinous cube (or any other broad-sided barn), but would only put 1 or 2 points of power attack, tops, into a strike at a pixie.  So if you put them all into damage macros, you end up with a long list of macros. THAT being said, roll queries might be the way to go - except that you'd want a variable to be stored once, and auto-manipulated according to a formula, leaving the API the route left.

Edited 1379103296
Gauss
Forum Champion
How I would build a 3.5 Power Attack macro (assumes greatsword damage and no enhancement bonus or feats):  Attack [[1d20 +@{BAB} +@{Str} -?{Power Attack|@{BAB}} +?{Modifiers|0}]] Damage [[2d6 +floor(@{Str}*1.5) +?{Power Attack|(@{BAB}}*2 +?{Modifiers|0}]] For maximum PA just keep the value as written. If you wish to use less than maximum you can input the value into the Power Attack query. You can even put the range in the name of the query. Example: Power Attack "0 to 2" Since Pathfinder's Power Attack is a static modifier (no variable except to use or not use it) I would use this for Pathfinder:  Attack [[1d20 +@{BAB} +@{Str} -(floor(@{BAB}/4)+1)*?{PA switch|0} +?{Modifiers|0}]] Damage [[2d6 +floor(@{Str}*1.5) +(floor(@{BAB}/4)+1)*3*?{PA switch|0} +?{Modifiers|0}]] In the PA query a 0 is no Power Attack while a 1 uses Power Attack.  - Gauss
Now that you mention macros, is there a way to have a mocro set up so when a specif number on a die rolls up that it changes color?  What I want to do is have a macro so when the crit range is rolled, the dice changes color, or goes bold or italicize... just something to let you know that you have a potential crit.  I have not yet used the api's and I don't think I have access to do so as a supporter...just asking.  Also I have started to use the character sheet so I can create macros useing the @functions, but I see things in the example above I do not understand.  What do you mean by floor(@(BAB, Str, Ect)? Thanks for any information you can enlighten me with.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Night Shade, &nbsp;here is our dice reference and macro guides. They may help.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference</a> &nbsp;and&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a> Explanation of my macros above:&nbsp; Attributes: &nbsp;@{Str} etc. reference attributes in a character sheet. If using Ability macros just typing @ will bring a drop-down list of the Attributes in that character sheet. Type extra letters to refine the list. If using Settings Tab Macros they can access macros from any character.&nbsp; For simplicity, I suggest using Character sheet Ability Macros.&nbsp; Floor: typing floor(value) will round down any value. Example: floor(5/4) will round down 5/4 to 1. You can find the documentation for this in the Dice Reference guide.&nbsp; Query: A query allows you to input a value when you use a macro. The format is&nbsp;?{name|default value}. You can find the documentation for this in the Macros guide. As for lighting up on a specific number, no, you cannot currently do this. - Gauss
Sam
Sheet Author
Thank you Gauss, this thread has been really awesome. This leads me to wonder about things in macros.&nbsp; 1) I can't seem to nest macros that are on a player's journal. If I could it would make things much easier. 2) It would be really nice to have ability to define temporary variables in macros, in your example above I have to enter the PA Switch twice but there were temporary variables then I would only have to entire it once.
Gauss
Forum Champion
1) Could you provide an example of how you would like to nest macros in a player's journal? My understanding of nesting macros (placing one inside another) works fine. :) 2) Queries are individualized, there is not currently a 'group query'. Perhaps you should make a suggestion for that in the suggestion forum.&nbsp; - Gauss