Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Importing a Hand-Drawn Map and Editing

Good evening.  I have been trying out various tools recommended in these forums to import a hand-drawn map, and then be able to edit it.  Dungeon Crafter 1.41 can do a lot of the work, and on a scale that is acceptable.  Dungeon Painter at Pyromancers has a scale, as well, though I find it to be difficult to mess with, and I seem to be unable to import an image like my map without converting everything I need to make it work, and I'm uncertain about that, even.  Even when I try to simply recreate the map... let's just say I'm finding it pretty difficult to use, even on my 'hotshot' computer -I am working from my old laptop, right now-, and would like something more easy to deal with.  The tools at Roll20 are pretty similar to Dungeon Crafter, with notable refinements, but is there a way to get the Polygon tracing tool, where the space inside what's traced can then be filled with a texture or color?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
All you have to do is when you choose the polygon line, in the  drawing tool  , is the choose the two colors you wish to use and it will fill in the color as you click for your line. Textures are not possible at this time but there is a suggestion or few (if you go searching) but this one is about what you are asking about. Allow to "fill with texture" (other than solid colors) in the draw shape and freehand tool
Thank you for this.  I've done much with the research on this, but I really do need that texture tool.  I'm going to attempt to build a pack, tomorrow after work, for Dungeon Painter, and I will simply see about opening my map pieces, as necessary, and filling in the parts before exporting it and bringing it into Roll 20 to complete the work for my players.

Edited 1463387100
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greetings Loremaster! The way I handle this is to use a paint program like GIMP to make my maps, export them as jpg images and then upload them to Roll20 before adding 'dressing' afterwards. This allows me to use whatever textures I want and I can add as little or as much detail as I want to the base map before using token to represent less permanent features. The beauty of doing it myself in this fashion is that I can ensure that my image and walls etc line up perfectly with the 70x70 standard grid on the VTT.
Oh, yeah, I understand... however, I'm actually quite the noob with GIMP.  I have it downloaded, but I'm scared to death to learn it, as yet.  My program has been PhotoImpact 4.0 since Moses was a child, hehe, and I can make that program sing.  I've tried upgrading to the new free versions of PhotoImpact, but they went nuts with the number of controls they added, and with the functionality they removed.  I tried GIMP once before, but I have to confess that dealing with transparencies through making layers -not that I haven't tried- seems to elude me, and I don't understand the process.  I am Khan from Star Trek II, two-dimensional thinking, though I continue attempting to overcome it.
Paint.Net has a steep learning curve, but once you have learned it it works very well. I have modded some tokens to change hair color, added glasses, etc. so I could have several members of a family that looked very similar and my players went crazy trying to figure out which ones were vampires.
Hehe.  Well, fortunately, I figured it out.  I have six map sections, and each with their own grid, and so I counted grid and sized up the images to 200px per square which, of course, leads to quite large images.  However, I can place the image on one layer, draw the floor bits I want onto it, and then I'll export it to a large image and scale down to 70px per square for Roll 20.  I do like the latest version of Paint, but it, too, has its limitations, and is definitely not as accurate for my needs as Dungeon Painter, for now.  Now it's time for me to check responses to my game and get to work on making this map sing.