Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The Color Animal Inn: Newbie-friendly open Pathfinder Livestream YouTube Thingy! (May 21, 2016, 4pm CST)

Greetings, young hero! Perhaps you have heard by now of the wondrous opportunities to be had in the rapidly-growing town of Owhe ? How a series of earthquakes revealed long-hidden tombs, caverns, and dungeons populated by dangerous monsters and filled with fantastic treasure? And how numerous adventurers have made their fortunes (and sometimes their fates, but let's not dwell on the down side!) by coming here to try their hand at exploration? Well, now it's your turn! Visit the best little town in the middle of nOWHEre!! Shop our bountiful stores, visit our scenic dungeons, and share tales of adventure with other heroes at: The Color Animal Inn! So, here's what's the thing, what it is, is: The Color Animal Inn is my attempt to create a 'game' that anyone can join, on a semi-regular basis. The campaign I have set up includes a large number of complicated interactions between character sheets, macros, token actions, and API scripts. This all works together to make a very, very simple interface, suitable for even the newest newbie to use quickly, easily, and intuitively. NO GAMING KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED I will be recording these sessions and livestreaming them over YouTube, as a sort of podcast type of thing that I hope will become popular. Each session will be couched in the idea that participants are visiting a bar, where they can meet one another and discuss various topics of interest. The first part of each session will feature my making a link to the game available to the general public, through these forums. Any Roll20 member who wishes to do so may join, until the 'bar' reaches maximum capacity (Currently limited to 6 players.) During this period, those present are invited to discuss whatever gaming-related topics they wish. In addition, I will be doing various things to help new players, and sometimes old players. Mostly the topics will be fluid, but sometimes I'll have something special I'll wish to demonstrate. For example, I might show new players how to make their characters, or I might show experienced Roll20 GMs a method I've discovered for creating detailed macros for their game. Whatever people want to chat about, we're gonna chat about. The second part of each session will begin when there are at least 4 participants who want to play, generally one to two hours after the doors open. Using characters they've created during this session, characters they'd like to import into this game, or an ever-growing selection of pregenerated characters, everyone who wishes to will get to play. The participants will then get to do a VERY random, free-form style of role-playing and combat, with exploration, puzzles, traps, monsters, and of course treasure! Using my vast array of random tables, random dungeon generators, random treasure charts, and Roll20s own system, there's no telling what might happen. And since I encourage the participants to make up significant portions of the story, even I won't know what's going to happen! These sessions can end up being anywhere from serious to silly, depending on the moods of the participants, and every group will be different. Sound like fun? Want to be part of this? Great, here's all you have to do! Rule 1: Don't be a jerk. I'm the only jerk allowed in this particular tavern, and I've already tried kicking myself out. Don't make me boot you, too. Rule 2: If you obey Rule 1, I don't need a Rule 2. Gameplay will occur on Roll20, and will be recorded. Voice contact will take place through Roll20's voice system. If this fails for some reason (a rare thing lately, although it used to be common) we will use Skype as a backup. Since this will be recorded, you will need a decent quality microphone and a minimum of background noise. If I have to mute you due to noise, I will. You are welcome to broadcast video, as long as you don't make me go back and edit anything later! You are NOT required to do so. The entire session will be recorded as well as being broadcast live across YouTube, meaning that anything done within the program needs to meet YouTube's terms of service. Vulgar language is allowed, within reason. Racism, homophobia, hate speech, and anything like that is not, and anyone displaying such actions will be lucky to get a single warning. You can find prevous episodes of The Color Animal Inn here , or by searching for Phnord Prephect on YouTube. Links to the game will be provided openly on the day of the event, shortly before the webcast begins. These links will change on a regular basis to ensure a variety of participants get the chance to be part of the occasion. Those who post in the notification thread (ie: this one) will receive their invitations approximately one hour earlier, thus giving them priority and some time to discuss their needs with me, the GM. The next event is scheduled for: Satur day, May 21, 2016, at approximately 4pm Central. Those with VIP invitations will receive their backstage passes approximately one hour earlier. *GAME LINK WILL BE POSTED HERE WHEN THE INN OPENS* (and it will be erased when it ends) -Phnord Current VIP List: ? ? ? ? ? ? Current Backup List: ? ? ? ? ? ? NOTE: I have removed all restrictions; anyone is welcome to sign up!

Edited 1463592832
Ello. Sign me up as a bumpable (only for newcomers), if you'll have me..
Sign Diana and myself up as well please since I see the restrictions have been lifted

Edited 1463595503
And here comes the surge of regulars. XD Edit: spelling correction

Edited 1463601790
*waves* I should be around. I -may- not be able to speak for the first hour or so, depending on when we actually begin, but other than that I'll be up and about! Hooray for shit sleeping schedule. PS: If you want more newcomers, you could always institute some kind of incentive for regulars who are willing to give up their spots to newcomers but are otherwise at the ready at playtime if people don't show up (so not just signing up, actually being ready to play on Saturday). That way, you'll likely always have spots for newbies and always have a full group without needing to institute restrictions. :) PPS: Now feeling that feeling that happens when you advocate for rewarding qwerty (and people like him) but don't actually like playing alongside his character. :P

Edited 1463603957
Are you saying that you don't like playing games with me...? :'( Kidding. You just didn't like what Yolanvale did. :P And who knows, he might not be around for much longer, for reasons. I'm sure you wouldn't really mind Gnumann, if we're playing higher level characters (which it seems like we might be doing just that). He's very different from Yolanvale.
Current VIP List: qwerty4132 Nick Diana Azure ? ? Current Backup List: ? ? ? ? ? ?
*headbutts thread to the first page*

Edited 1463721451
*attaches some goblin cannons to launch the thread to the front* "Step 1, Find your cousin.  Step 2, Get your cousin in the cannon.  Step 3, find another cousin"  -Fodder Cannon from MTG .
*shoots a cousin out of a cannon, goes to look for another cousin*
Newbies and other curious onlookers, don't be afraid! Phnord is a fun GM and runs a fun game, and will help ease you into the system easily. Sign up! Come giggle and have shenanigans with us! Jokes - especially puns - are a guarantee. :D
And if you're wanting to make your own character but not sure where to start, everyone's willing to help out. If you've got an idea for a character, feel free to run it by Phnord. He'll more than likely let you go with the idea, as long as it doesn't go against his no Alchemists, no guns rule.  There's also an assortment of pre-gens you can pick from if you're not up to making your own. Fun is guaranteed.
Azure said:  Jokes - especially puns - are a guarantee. :D qwerty4132 said:  Fun is guaranteed. * Not a guarantee. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions apply. Includes up to 30% post-consumer content. May contain traces of nuts. Consult your doctor before playing. Do not operate heavy machinery while playing. Mileage may vary.
Hi all! My name is Thomas (if you couldn't tell from the name on my account.), I'm 100% new to Pathfinder and to be honest, it frightens the ever living hell out of me. I'm an avid D&D 5e player/DM and have also played a smattering of other pen and paper RPGs. I purchased digital copies of the Pathfinder books through the humble bundle deal they had a few months ago and have yet to use them. So I figured what better way to figure out how to play than get in on one of these sessions.  I like to play complex characters with multiple different motivations and desires. Another of my quirks is that I like to do different voices for my characters. So expect my voice to change alot. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance. -Thomas-
Welcome to The Color Animal Inn, Thomas! Please sign here... and here... and here... initial here... sign here... and here... blood sample... small first payment and huge balloon payment to follow... and sign here... there, we're all set! Thanks for playing, hope you had fun! Just kidding, of course. As Azure and qwerty4132 mention, I do take the time to ensure that all players are ready before starting the 'game.' You won't have much (or any) trouble joining in! Thanks to people like SkyCaptainXIII, The Aaron, and a whole bunch of other people whose names I won't list, Roll20 makes playing easy, especially when a game has been going on for a while. The interface is super-easy to learn at this point (at least, from a player's perspective!) Just push the right buttons when I ask you to, and spend the rest of your time helping us tell a good story; the rules don't matter nearly as much as you think they do! If you have the books, you should have no trouble following along as we spend two hours arguing about the interpretation for every three minutes of game time! (This, too, doesn't happen as much as you think!) Judging by the VIP list, we could be either playing a Level 1-2 game (you'd make your own L1 character for this, or use a L1 pre-gen), or a Level 4+ game (you'd use a L4 pre-gen for this.) We'll spend whatever time is needed getting your character set up in Roll20, either way. And anything I don't help you with, the other players can and will, whether you ask them to or not! PM me if you have any other questions. Otherwise.... See y'all then! -Phnord Current VIP List: qwerty4132 Nick Diana Azure Thomas F (new!) ? Current Backup List: ? ? ? ? ? ?
Huzzah! Thanks for accepting me in all my newbness. Can't wait to learn.
Don't stress about it Thomas. My very first actual tabletop rpg/pen and paper was one of Phnord's runs of the Color Animal Inn, and it was a blast and it was one of the easiest things I've done. Very easy. Very simple. Very laid back. Very enjoyable. Very ridiculous (in a good way). And depending on which level we play at, someone might end up dead (Phnord, Azure, you know who I'm talking about). My only major tip is just make a character that you'll enjoy playing. Don't worry too much about trying to make a beefy character. If you want to make someone who plans on ruling the world by giving out free hugs, I'm sure Phnord would be amused to see how that works out with all of the other characters' personalities. I have one who's a little serious and crazy. and another that's on the other side of the spectrum... care-free and crazy in a completely different sense. I enjoy playing them both simply because I like the personalities I gave them and built their stats around that. 
Room for one more...
I say we kidnap someone and force them to play. Obviously that's a joke...
Obviously...(hides rope and gag)
Thomas.... Do we need to have the talk about that kind of stuff again...? -_- (Continuing the joke)
Well, invites sent. Room for one more player, if they sign up within the next hour. Otherwise we'll just go with what we got. -Phnord

Edited 1463906375
I would really love to try this, if you have room. Thanks
Sorry Hal R. We ended the game an hour or two ago. ...we started it 13 hours ago. I'm'a goin' to SLEEP! But watch the forums. I'll do another one next week, and you can sign up for that! -Phnord the sleep-deprived GM