Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Alternatives to Soundcloud and Additions to the Jukebox

Edited 1463542041
I love the idea of allowing integration of noise generators and similar atmospheric sound scapes.  My favorite site and suggestion is myNoise.net, but Syrinscape and Battle Bards are also good ideas. +1 for integration of any atmosphere/noise generator/sound scape technologies and websites
+1 yes allowing me to add my own audio sources and etc...
+1 for Syrinscape!!
Yes! PLease give us a way to link to other sites with sound effects/music, or simply allow us to upload our own audio files directly, just like we upload images. It would be super great and no doubt a major selling point for Roll20 over your competitors!!! Please make this happen!
Battlebards now not only lets you play there sound bits, making play lists or Mixes on there site but also allows you to upload your own audio files directly, without the troublesome file sharing/copyright mess that Soundcloud puts you though. Right now this seems to be a great all in one package that can cover most of a game audiofile's needs.
+1 for Battle Bards!
Zym
Sheet Author
I have used Soundcloud search function by using the URL, so that saves a lot of time. I have noticed the massive problem of a lot of tracks being private set :-( Also I have used tracks which are public domain, only to have them by breeched for copyright infringement once I have uploaded the game recording to youtube. I'd love to see roll20 just partnership with BattleBards. I do love Tabletop Audio though, but enjoy the Combat and Magic Spell SFX of Battlebards. Midnight Syndicate do some pretty good audio music scores also.  Hopefully the database of music will expand and help the creators of the music allow some sort of deal with roll20 to go through. 
I have tried to use Soundcloud for a game, that was not to be used in a public setting, ie no streaming of any sort, just me and my players would hear the audio tracks. I actually own the cd's that the audio tracks come from so if I was at an actual table top it would not be any form of an issue for me to use the tracks. But to use them in roll20 as it is, I have to go though Soundcloud to bring the track in, So I uploaded it there, to find that for me to be able to use the track in my game I have to then also make the track public.  But if I do that I would then brake copyright, I don't intend to share the tracks to the public, I just want to use it in my own game. This leaves me doing something like uploading the track to Soundcloud but not sharing it until I am about to run the game. and then turning off the share as soon as the game is done, and hope I am not flagged for copyright infringement in that time.  Battlebards would be a much better way to go, though they don't have the large selection of public audio available, they have a excellent selection music, and combat, spell FX, as well as NPC sound bits.  They also allow you to upload your own tacks for your use.  As you would have to log into there service you don't have to worry about over sharing a track where it would then bump into copyrights. And then adding in the ability to mix your own tracks using any of the tracks you have available... Well that's a win all the way around.
Yes just checked out Battlebards site - it is most excellent - can we link to them please too!
+1 for uploading my own music without having to go through SoundCloud Someone above (can't remember who) said Roll20 used to do this.  Why not bring it back?  Look, I'll get into some details here.  I am running a Middle-Earth based D&D 3.5 game, and I use the Lord of the Rings soundtracks.  Well, every time I have tried to upload to SoundCloud, it removes almost all of my tracks.  I want to be able to use these beautiful soundtracks in my game.  
Steve said: Yes! PLease give us a way to link to other sites with sound effects/music, or simply allow us to upload our own audio files directly, just like we upload images. It would be super great and no doubt a major selling point for Roll20 over your competitors!!! Please make this happen! +1 for the above!
Andrew W. said: Well, every time I have tried to upload to SoundCloud, it removes almost all of my tracks.  I want to be able to use these beautiful soundtracks in my game.   Yep, this is the pesky copyright policing that SoundCloud does, it is due to when placing anything in their service, to make it usable in roll20 you have to share it with everyone on SoundCloud, effectively treating it as if it was public domain when it isn't. Where something like BattleBards, is a per account connection, meaning that only you and who ever is at your table will be able to hear it, To have this added to Roll20 would be a God Send,. As in the limited audience (the DM and the players) would not violate any copyright laws.
I've previously voted for spotify support. Buying single audio files or records is a disappearing market in Scandinavia and streaming audio is quickly becoming the normal way of buying audio. Currently all my gaming groups run the background audio from different streaming services (mostly spotify). The lack of support for streaming audio in roll20 is a major hindrance and most players want to use other services even if the map support is worse.
+1 Spotify
Would you mind adding this to the jukebox suggestion thread? &nbsp;It's about pause and resume so you don't have to restart your playlists. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3775649/pause-and-resume-music-and-start-playlists-from-a-song-you-choose" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3775649/pause-and-resume-music-and-start-playlists-from-a-song-you-choose</a>
Spotify would be fantastic
+1 for any previous suggestion that has a subscription service and maybe allows personal uploads.
Being able to upload sounds, like we can upload pictures to roll20, is the number 1 thing that would be useful to me as a GM. Number 1! By a long margin. Please sort out something so we can do this, like we can for pics! Cheers
+1 for Spotify
I been pouring over the Battlebard stuff, They got my support.

Edited 1475353661
BattleBards does allow you to upload your own audio and mix with them on the Mixer
I hope some progress is made with syrinscape. It looks pretty cool.
Nolan T. J. said: Late last night Roll20’s access to the SoundCloud API was shut off. Roll20’s growth has caused SoundCloud more than once over the past four years to question as to whether or not our integration of their service was within the intent of their API; previously we have been grandfathered in for additional use when SoundCloud changed their API Terms of Use in June 2015. We maintain that the Roll20 community added to the SoundCloud community– be it the vast amount of tracks that were tagged for “Roll20,” the specific music created for use in our interface, or simply our own pride in spurring the discovery of and credit for sound artists via the Roll20 Jukebox dashboard. If you want to let SoundCloud know you’re disappointed by this decision, please respectfully do so . Particularly if you are a music artist that has uploaded to SoundCloud with the intent of sharing it via Roll20, we appreciate you contacting them to express your displeasure. We have no expectation of our SoundCloud API access being restored, and as such will be exploring additional audio services to bring to Roll20 users. As things stand… Live now for just over a year is the content Tabletop Audio . They continue to add new, long-form tracks that make or a great background to your adventures. We have recently signed a deal with BattleBards to bring their music to Roll20, so look forward to that soon. While it remains a popular suggestion, we are uncertain about utilizing YouTube-as-sound on Roll20, as YouTube’s API specifically prescribes against audio-only uses. Given Roll20’s strong record of avoiding DMCA Takedown notices, we remain hesitant to allow direct audio uploads, as the potential for misuse is too great. The Roll20 Jukebox’s access to the SoundCloud API has been a fantastic boon to the free users of both services. While we are not yet sure what our future audio plans are, we feel like this is a part of the community and experience that has for the time being fallen beneath our standards. Know that we’ll be working on solutions in the weeks to come. Good news for us that wanted something other then SoundCloud. &nbsp; Great news for BattleBards. Bad news for thous that actually liked SoundCloud.
Sad to hear that the support for SoundCloud has been removed. But I'm still hoping for Spotify support :)

Edited 1475707769
Dave
Pro
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but the Jukebox desperately needs to add the ability to move back and forth in a track. I might want to skip to the middle, near the end, go back ten seconds, or even just tell how far I am through the track--that sort of thing. It would be a great bit to add under the "now playing" track display. (It would also be nice to have a volume control on the "new playing" track display.) (Edit: Okay, take my "desperately" with a grain of salt--but my players and I have been wishing for this feature for years now.)
I sunk a lot of time into Soundcloud, cutting, mixing, and uploading music to the site, GRR.&nbsp; Regardless, moving forward, I vote for a straight up load your own music. Most of the DM's here upload content they have legally obtained into there games already. If a user uploads content obtained illegally why does Roll20 take culpability? The best solution for longevity and usability is to allow users to input music into their games like images. My 2 cents "Legal scholars argue that that anyone who posts content on the Internet expects people to visit their site. They know that visitors’ PCs will make copies in the process, and the website host grants visitors an implied license or permission to make those copies. 4 " -
Dave said: I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but the Jukebox desperately needs to add the ability to move back and forth in a track. I might want to skip to the middle, near the end, go back ten seconds, or even just tell how far I am through the track--that sort of thing. It would be a great bit to add under the "now playing" track display. (It would also be nice to have a volume control on the "new playing" track display.) (Edit: Okay, take my "desperately" with a grain of salt--but my players and I have been wishing for this feature for years now.) I am not sure how the interface with BattleBards will work out, but I do know that the BattleBard Sound board allows the control you are asking for just as you are asking, So I would say wait and see how the interface works, they might already have this feature built in when it comes online.
Andrew M. said: I sunk a lot of time into Soundcloud, cutting, mixing, and uploading music to the site, GRR.&nbsp; Regardless, moving forward, I vote for a straight up load your own music. Most of the DM's here upload content they have legally obtained into there games already. If a user uploads content obtained illegally why does Roll20 take culpability? The best solution for longevity and usability is to allow users to input music into their games like images. My 2 cents "Legal scholars argue that that anyone who posts content on the Internet expects people to visit their site. They know that visitors’ PCs will make copies in the process, and the website host grants visitors an implied license or permission to make those copies. 4 " - I understand your frustration here, but there is a bright side to this as well, Though Roll20 doesn't allow you to upload directly to it, BattleBards does, and with there inclusion in the not too far future you will be able to up load to them for use in your games, and as a added bonus BattleBards has a Mixer built in as well, that not only lets you mix your tracks (both what you get from them and what you upload) but it also allows you to mix in your mixes.
+1 for Personal Library (even worth the $$ for each month too) Just make sure its restricted to those in your room and can't be "recorded" by normal means. Should cover any liability.
+1 for Syrinscape!
It does seem like I should be able to play something that I've legally purchased, that is on my own hard drive. &nbsp;I'd settle for that. &nbsp;And if it's possible to stream my voice, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to stream a file from my computer (though I admit I'm not a programmer and there might be complications I'm unaware of).
+1 I would also like to add, that the ability for the Creator to add a "DJ" as a partial "DM/GM" that can only access the Music system to provide music, sound effects and more (without the ability to see into the GM layer, whispers, or the like) would be ideal.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Since this post is quite old and many of the original requests have been added, such as Tabletop Audio, BattleBards, Incompetech, Fanburst, Playlists, Play on Load, and more, I'm closing this thread to give points back to those who voted on those specific issues. I encourage the rest of you to recast your votes on other changes you're still passionate about.