Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

"Environmental" 3rd Map Layer (Transparency too?)

Was thinking I could reeeeeaaaallly use a layer for displays and decoration after building a map. One that I could also mark tokens to appear over the token layer (im sure most peoples characters are on this layer) and not just the map layer like the token layer is. Still leaving it so when token layer is selected, the pieces from the hovering Environmental layer do not block the tokens on their layer from being selected. MAYBE even include a transparency to each individual token only on this layer (like the gearbox popup on token layer) I was finding alot of difficulty on the map editor with selecting the background when im trying to move displays around. Not being able to unselect it without moving to the view location or quickly selecting tokens layer and back...so on a side side request, is there a faster way to do this? I posted this before, but after talking to my group they gave me a couple more ideas about expanding this a bit further. I separated this entry and linked it in my previous mentions instead.
Gauss
Forum Champion
There are currently three layers. Token, Map, and the GM layer (which only the GM sees). There are ways to create a transparency using current tools. Using a paint program you can create a transparent map layer and then lay it on top of your regular map. Alternately, you can move the map to the token layer, tint it and send it back to the map layer. The tint will remain. If you do not like the existing tint colors you can enter your own color code. With that said I could see an environmental layer as being a useful tool. Regarding your difficulty in selecting map elements: In order to deselect an element hit the escape key. Then you can select a different element. If the element you desire is below other elements you can send those elements to the bottom by selecting the element and then selecting 'to back'. If you need additional help let me know. - Gauss
I started a thread in the mentor forums about this. Here's what I'd like to see: - Map/Background - Objects - Tokens - Overlays - GM Info The environmental layer you're talking about would be the overlays layer. This combined with making a tileable texture as the background would go a long way towards making it easier to create maps in Roll20. Drawing tools that use textures would be nice too.
Jonathan, I would love having those 5. Seems quite sensible.
Subscribe and up vote my post in the mentor forum then. :D
There are currently three layers. Token, Map, and the GM layer (which only the GM sees). There are ways to create a transparency using current tools. Using a paint program you can create a transparent map layer and then lay it on top of your regular map. Alternately, you can move the map to the token layer, tint it and send it back to the map layer. The tint will remain. If you do not like the existing tint colors you can enter your own color code. With that said I could see an environmental layer as being a useful tool. Regarding your difficulty in selecting map elements: In order to deselect an element hit the escape key. Then you can select a different element. If the element you desire is below other elements you can send those elements to the bottom by selecting the element and then selecting 'to back'. If you need additional help let me know. - Gauss thx man, both of those tips are keepers.... I started a thread in the mentor forums about this. Here's what I'd like to see: - Map/Background - Objects - Tokens - Overlays - GM Info The environmental layer you're talking about would be the overlays layer. This combined with making a tileable texture as the background would go a long way towards making it easier to create maps in Roll20. Drawing tools that use textures would be nice too. AGREED on the 5 - maybe for xmas ill find a subscription in my stocking =X
For those with a Mentor account, the aforementioned thread in that Roll20 forum is: REQ: Layer reorganization... (<a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/3283/req-layer-reorganization-#Item_1" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/3283/req-layer-reorganization-#Item_1</a>) A few possible approaches for handling Objects and Overlays have been discussed there. So far it has been interesting!
Since it's related with Cycotix's suggestions here, I'm mentioning the following thread by @John_Marshall as another good example of the requests for being able to lock tokens (or using objects/overlay layers) for handling things like environmental effects in an effective way: Environmental Effects (Smoke) Suggestion (<a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2060/environmental-effects-smoke-suggestion/p1" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2060/environmental-effects-smoke-suggestion/p1</a>)
indeed, both of these links should be followed....id even say this topic could be locked at this point. id really like to see the 5 layer access to the map interface, with one of the new layers being OVER the token layer.
In a way or another, I'm very interested in seeing this capability of placing images over tokens implemented into Roll20.