Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dragging to Sort Character Macros has a large delay after the move

Dragging to Sort Character Macros has a large delay after the move This has been noticeable over about a week (maybe a little more) It was faster this morning and very slow this evening This is when I drag a character ability macro and slide it up or down the list. It is also affecting map sorting.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Does this happen for you in a brand new game with only a few entries you've just added?
It seems to be worse in my largest campaign. Is the speed of that action tied to the size of the campaign?
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Yes, the biggest factor in basically any lag you experience in the editor is the total number of attributes. This really starts to show up in "mega games" like the one you are running. Keeping all of that data available, and up to date, for all players can take can take its toll when you have a bunch of players, all with their own character sheets on top of the large number of NPCs/monsters as well.
It seemed like it got much worse just recently. I have been adding content at a pretty steady rate, but the slowdown seemed to happen all of a sudden. Are you sure there is nothing that changed recently? If not, is there a known threshold of campaign size to stay below?
Also, does archiving material speed up stuff as much as deleting material would?

Edited 1465335152
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Now that I think about it more dragging the macros shouldn't be something that suffers so much, even if the game is large, from lag. I loaded up the game and tried dragging around some macros for characters that are available to everyone, like the -Bat, and didn't see any lag. You said this happens on and off. Do you notice it happening more on specific characters, or while a bunch of people are online? If you can give me some specific steps to try and recreate it in my own game, I might be able to figure out what's going on.
I made the character on the muster page Steve The Red (Casey E.) editable by all players. If you open the character and slide the attributes up and down you will see the lag some of the time. It is just about a second right now. But I have seen 5+ seconds at times. Seems to be worse at peak times. I have even had Google bring up a timeout screen on occasion. Using google chrome. Thank you for looking into this further.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Sorry it took so long, but I finally got a chance to take a look at this. I tried moving some ability macros around and it seemed instant to me, but the game was empty. Does this only happen when you have a bunch of players in the game? If so, how many players?
By players in the game, do you mean actually logged in at the time? If so, there are 0 when it happens.