Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

AD&D 2E question

Does anybody even use the Monster Sheet section? I've run 2 campaigns and played in 4 others and nobody really uses it to the best of my knowledge. Everything you can list in there you can list in the character sheet side and have roll buttons, loot lists, stats where appropriate, saves, etc. I am asking because I am rewriting the sheet and that section is about a 100 line block that doesn't seem to need to be there. If you guys feel differently, let me know so I can leave it in and try to maybe even enhance it to being more than a stylized notepad.

Edited 1465954063
Gold
Forum Champion
I use the AD&D 2E character sheet, and I don't use the monster tab very much, but I don't tend to enter Monster stats into the interface very often anyway, and I do not use Sheet Buttons or Rolling From Character Sheet at all (we use Macro buttons, and Token Actions, instead). One of my Co-GM's used monster tab, so we have a few Orc Boss NPC in the game who are created on the monster tab. Would the stats entered on a Monster tab, also show on the Character Tab? (e.g. No data would be lost, right?). The reason for the Monster tab (made by Dylan, I believe) was to have a quicker interface with less distractions when you want to make just-a-monster that doesn't need the details that are omitted fields. I'm guessing it might tend to be used most by someone who was making a lot of bulk monsters to keep as a repository.
Ahh, I just use lomion, way faster. The stats won't delete, but they don't correlate to anything on the player sheet. I can understand not using sheet buttons (to an extent) but having them there, you can simply reference the button into a token action to save countless amounts of prep time making macro after macro from scratch. I am curious though, now that I think about it, does the 2E community even want a new sheet?
Gold
Forum Champion
I have not personally wanted a new Sheet for this, but I'm curious to see what you would come up with. The current sheet works fairly well for my game and the coder for it (Dylan) already implemented most of the aspects that I and others suggested to improve it last year. I know it could be more functional, but, I wouldn't want it to appear more bulky just to accommodate lesser-important or setting-specific fields.  I will certainly check out a new version, test it with you, and adopt it for my games if it's better and ports neatly from the current 2E sheet. So why not put it out there? It will probably generate interest and use, over the medium-term if not a quick response. OldSchoolChris definitely wanted a new sheet, based on his thread about making a Custom Character Sheet (like a non-sheet repository, fork of the main 2E sheet). The Sheet Rolls contains some approaches that I don't care for, such as, for examples: Hidden GM rolls (in my game we present most of the rolling openly, for example I don't want Thief rolls to be secret, nor Saving Throws). Telling what AC is hit. I just like the resulting Hit roll number output in chat, not a determination of what AC is hit. Using the > and < for Successes, such as Thief checks, NWP checks, and Saving Throws. I don't like the way that the current Dice Engine writes "1 Successes" or "0 Successes", as the grammar is wrong and it looks bulky in chat, and especially because I just want the dice number outputted and leave it for the DM to declare what was a success or failure after the roll is shown. There might be modifiers that the DM has not stated, and so it is uncool when the Sheet Roll output says "1 Successes" and the DM says "Uh actually that was a fail, because of penalty modifiers." For me it was easy enough to write those Macros (as GM) and thus clicking them as Token Action, this makes it available to PC's when they select their token, so they don't generally have to type the macros unless they want to personalize it even more than my GM-made defaults.  So, I wouldn't impose to ask for my chat-dice-output preferences to be "rolled into" the Sheet Rolls.  I just ignore the Sheet Rolls. However therefore also I wouldn't want a new character sheet if it had a lot more Sheet Rolls on it.
#3 I took care of, but one and two are universally more useful than not so. ThAC0 is far from intuitive and have 4/7 players go, "huh? did it hit?" because they rolled a 7 with a ThAC0 of 14 (before modifiers), is.. well, yeah.... I'll post an invite to the dev sheet I'm working on tomorrow after work. I'm in the middle of recoding the encumbrance section and it looks sloppy right now. Also, the reason the Monster Sheet even came up... I broke it... still trying to fix that just in case though.....
<a href="https://app.roll20dev.net/join/38154/Tl7bRA" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20dev.net/join/38154/Tl7bRA</a> ^ That link goes to the dev server game I am using to work on the 2E sheet. I'll be in and out over the next few days to review it and take suggestions on modifications. I need constructive criticism, if it's bad, let me know why and how you think it can be improved. Hope to see some of you soon :) BTW, this sheet is still heavily under revision, and is nowhere near suitable for play yet. Also, don't mind some of the flavor details like the Ravenloft symbol. I started this little dig at the behest of a friend for his personal game. Color schemes, logo's etc are all subject to change.