Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hello everyone!

I'm Michael (dont need to roll a 20 on a wisdom check to find that out do you? Sorry BAAAD joke!) I am more or less new when it comes to the actual mechanics of games of this nature. I have never (largely because I never had friends interested in this sort of thing) sat around a table and run through a campaign. The closest I ever came was playing The Forgotten Realms games on the old Commodore 64 (Pool of Radiance <3 I loved that game replayed it many times). I came across you guys while watching Quill18, Briarstone and co. run through a campaign and it made me wish I could take part in these sorts of things to. Thankfully one of their mods linked this site so here I am! In time I believe I would most likely be the DM in a lot of games. I love storytelling, weaving narratives and creating whole worlds for people to enjoy. But for now I'll be a player. Which brings me to a point. I have never even touched a proper D&D rule book so I have little knowledge of the actual mechanics (what little I do know is from the manuals -ahhh manuals those were the days! -and such that came with that box). Where should I start?
Hi Michael and welcome to Roll20. Best way to get into a game is taking a look in the LFG - forum. There are games going on all the time and quite a few are newbie friendly. Most games at the moment are D&D 5th edition, ie heroic fantasy, but there are lots of alternatives. Sci-fi, horror, modern and so forth. Have you decided what kind of adventures you're looking for? If not then that is a great way to start. :) When it comes to the rules I would definatly try to get the corebook for your desired system. Paper or PDF. You will need it when creating characters and getting the flow of the game going. With the exeption of the D&D 5th edition and Pathfinder, you will not find many rules inside Roll20 since it's a rule-agnostic program.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Welcome to the hobby!
Thank you all for your kind welcome! I have just been accepted also into my first campaign! It is a single session only deal but its probably better to start small for now I think. One of our fellow dungeon crawler comrades sent me this handy little link in a PM: <a href="http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrule" rel="nofollow">http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrule</a>... On that link I have a somewhat condensed version of the D&D Player Guide and the DM Guide. I have looked at prices for the core books (the big ones) and my eyes widened a little bit at the price (they promptly returned to normal and just as quickly went wide again when I saw how many pages all those books have). I'm already starting to plan out an adventure of my own which will use the D&D ruleset but otherwise won't have any real connection to the D&D multiverse (it is however a fantasy world whose lore I am a lot more familiar with so those suprising little questions adventurers may ask a DM won't throw me off - at least thats the plan!)
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post his but hopefully I can get a few answers here. I'm new to d&d, my friend got me tot ry it and I enjoy it, sadly I work a night shift job so I rarely get to play, is this somewhere that to cam remedy that? If so please point me in the right direction, ant help is appreciated. Yes o know there are videos but I kinda would rather here it from an user&nbsp;
If you have any questions about the Roll20 app itself, you can absolutely ask for guidance within the Specific Use forum here. If you have any questions about playing D&D itself (or any other specific game type) you can generally find a /sub over at Reddit that'll be more geared for that.&nbsp; D&D itself can be found at <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/</a>
Gold
Forum Champion
Jake B. said: &nbsp;I work a night shift job so I rarely get to play, is this somewhere that to cam remedy that? If so please point me in the right direction, ant help is appreciated.&nbsp; Jake, check out the post and links from Pat S. that's above, in this thread.