Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Anyone try doing a D&D Dungeon Command game yet here at Roll20?

I am just starting to play around a bit with this, no idea if there is any interest or anyone has even tried this.  Also playing with a miniature Wargame called Flames of War also, if anyone is interested (V2 though most likely). Cheers, just started these two up today actually, have to see what I can figure out to run these two, maybe.... Tom
YIKES Not a good sign it seems then, time to get my face to face gang here for this then me thinks. Tom
Gauss
Forum Champion
I haven't heard of Dungeon Command before. What is it? - Gauss

Edited 1379704887
Tom
Pro
Thanks for the potential interest Gauss, been out a couple years now, and I tried a dig pic play by post game of it a year or so ago in a Wargame forum  We finished it and I won just by a hair, not to bad. Here are the basics, kind of fun and a bit different that what is mostly run here Basically a D&D war skirmish game, each set has a specific faction, Goblins with their own map, Undead, Orcs, Hero faction so a player picks what one they want and then they have a number of different units. All card driven and each specific creaure has it's own stats to go by, gold counters to hunt down and pick up, as well as battling the other players faction on a smallish map. After that Play by dig Pic game I got out of it, but may get into it again. Hav'nt really checked out the card system here to see if it can even be done, but I bet there may be a way. Tom OOPS, sorry for the small pics as I forgot to resize them, but it should give ya an idea of what the game is about, have all those factions listed above, but none locally here to play it, sad to say.  
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, so it is a card game. Does it require creating decks (similar to Magic)? Any card specific mechanics you can describe (such as creating decks on the fly, going through the discard pile, going through the deck, mid game shuffling, etc)? - Gauss

Edited 1379790622
Tom
Pro
Basics There are 12 Creature cards for each faction like this above, along with their mini.  There is a starting group each player has at the beginning, then further cards are drawn as the game goes on.  Cards are disgarded as the creatures get destroyed. hen there are 35 Order cards for each Warband as well, you start the game with a few cards for a hand, then play and daw new cards as well as discard used cards when played or used up. Then there are 2 Commander cards per band, each player picks one leader to command his warband, with various different stats for that specific leader. Make sense sort of so far? Tom
So a game might look something like, at least for one player The first box set, the Drow set has these units above Then I pop them onto one side of the battlefield, NOT all would be there at the beginning, but you get the idea I think. Then the Warband the Drow are fighting gets the other side and deploys what it can at the time then he game begins Tom
Gauss
Forum Champion
To clarify, I am not interested in learning. I am checking if there are game mechanics that may have issues in Roll20 so that I can better help you get this working inside Roll20. Incomplete list of examples that our current deck system cannot do or has a hard time doing: 1) Drawing a card from the middle of the deck.  2) Shuffling the discard pile 3) Constructing a deck on the fly 4) Merging and De-merging decks.  etc... So, if you could list the types of card mechanics (not game mechanics) that your game uses I may be able to suggest the best method for getting your game up and running.  - Gauss

Edited 1379817267
Tom - looks like you've done some work getting Dungeon Command loaded up and working. I've got each of the Dungeon Command sets that WotC released (in normal board game form, of course). I was actually considering doing something similar in Roll20. I've had reasonable luck getting Betrayal at House on the Hill loaded up which also mixes tile and card mechanics. Let us know how it's worked out for you!
Thanks for the post Jeff, thinking about the D&D boardgames as well in the future to,   Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon and naturally  The Legend of Drizzt. Or even perhaps the latest version of Descent  and an expansion or two, lots of things to see if one can get running here, just need to find the time!! :) You bet, I'll let you know how it all works out, or not as the case may be Jeff, thanks again for the post!! :) Gauss Got ya now 1.  Each player draws  (shuffled) from their specific faction deck X number of Creature cards, face down, but that specific player can look at his cards ONLY. 2. Once both players have their basic monster hand then they draw Y number of Order cards from their own  (shuffled) Order card deck, face down so the other player can't see what the other player has as well. 3. When the game starts each player shows 1 or more monster cards that will be in play, then puts that mini on the board, with the card visible to all players at that time. *During the turns each player can pull from their Order card hand to attach it to a specific Creature to enhance, heal or damage related to that specific creature. MOST of these cards are then put in a discard pile, never to be needed again for most factions. These Played Order cards are turned face up for everyone to see at that time. *Also when a certain point value is won per player they can also select new Creature cards from their hand to put them in play, or draw new creature cards to go into their hand. *IF a Creature is destroyed then it is discarded and for most Factions, again that "dead" discarded card can't be used again in the game.  *Damage tokens are placed on specific Creature cards as they take damage or have an effect Order card placed on them, either good or bad, from either player at times. Is this pretty understandable to you Gauss?  If not I'll try again bud Tom :)
Gauss
Forum Champion
I don't see any card mechanics that Roll20 would have a problem with. :) - Gauss

Edited 1379974134
Tom
Pro
Ya Slowly but I'm getting there,  *Drow Faction Creature cards - DONE (12 of 12)  Drow Order Cards - In Progress (15 of 36) Cheers, then it's the Heart (Read Hero's) of Cormyr next!! :) Tom
And tonight/this morning 2nd War Band is almost done, then to adjust the mechanics a bit, then a test run for some "lucky" LOL volunteer here at some point. Cheers, now to work on my Flames of War game a bit more!! Tom

Edited 1380069679
Tom, I'd be happy to help you out on a trial run at some point. My schedule is a bit convoluted, but I do have free time Friday during the day. Let me know.
Thanks Jeff, Friday is probably out for me, how about sometime Sunday evening or monday day or night? I'm in central standard time here i Wisconsin. Tom
Sunday evening will work out okay for me this week. 7pm and on should be open. I'm on the road Monday, so during the week is out for me.
Thanks Jeff, hit a snag though, got a friggin ear infection this week of all things, so head phone Google hangouts for voice are out for me unless I get better real quick. Hope to still run my weekly Pathfinder game for the group, but they now know this time only it will have to be in chat ONLY, sucks but not much else I can do after seeing the doctor today, NOT FUN!! So wanna try a chat test Dungeon Command game Sunday night, or would you want to wait til I can hear again Jeff? Tom
Gauss
Forum Champion
One thing I do when my ear acts up is that I put the headphone behind or in front of my ear. I can still hear with the other headphone earpeice. - Gauss
Thanks Gauss, but with my ear throbbing and in more that a bit of pain (and they put something in my ear even at the doc (OUCH), even that option is kinda out the way it feels now. But if it gets better, I'll try that. Tom
Tom - Sorry to hear about the ear. Just drop a note here (with a day or two heads up) when you're feeling up to it and we'll give your game a trial run. I'm looking forward to it. I'll check into the forums here later today to see how things are shaping up for you. Gauss - what's the best way for new folks to initiate an 'off-line' session here to do some game testing? Does Tom just fire off a link to me via email, or is there an integrated system within Roll20 that streamlines the transition from "folks in a forum" to "getting together in game?"
Thanks, thems the breaks sometimes. ear is'nt quite killing me after work this morning, so the meds did something at least!! Lets shoot for Sunday evening sometime after my regular game then, I'd say we may be done around 4 PM CST, or a bit earlier if the chat only does'nt work out. As for testing I'll just give you the invite link, then oncce your in GM ya so you can look around whenever you can, before our test. Tom
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jeff , Roll20 does not have 'off-line' sessions. Anyone can enter a campaign they have joined at any time. The GM does not have to be present. Due to this many people have a 'start' map where they put the player flag when they are not gaming. As for getting together, there are a number of ways to find games. You can go to the Looking for Game forum and the Looking for Game listings. When you want to join a game the Campaign owner can send you a join link via Email or PM. - Gauss

Edited 1381371923
Tom
Pro
Got the Drow and the Cormyr War bands all set up, all map tile ppieces, tand game tokens done as well. Almost had two chances to test game this, but my regular game of PF I GM went over time the last two sessions, sorry Jeff! Cheers, maybe this weekend might bring better luck I hope! Tom