Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Wanna learn to DM?

Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hey everyone, I am posting this because it seems like there is a serious lack of DMs available in comparison to players. I've been thinking about putting something together to help people learn to DM. At this point though, I am unsure as where to start.  What I would like to do is create adventures that are tailored toward helping a new DM learn the ropes. It would be fun to play-test these with some people interested in learning to DM, and then release these one-shot adventures to the Roll20 Marketplace for others to enjoy. I would specifically be focusing on 5th ed Dungeons and Dragons using the new OGL for marketing purposes.  I have previously helped teach a number of people to DM in the over 20 years I have been DMing and have some good ideas. One idea is to produce a Youtube video that the DM could play while running the adventure. It would be segmented to pause before moving on to each part of the adventure thus giving a walk-through of tips on how to handle different situations. Anyways though, I wanted to see what others think. What do you think of these ideas? What would be helpful to players that want to learn to DM?
Nice!  Saw your PM.  I would love to do a one shot training session for DMs.  Thoughts?

Edited 1466350995
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
We currently have two one-shot adventures; 1st level and 4th level. They are set up on Roll20 and ready to go. Right now, they are set up to be fast and easy to run. What we would like to do now is make additions to them that would help walk new DMs through the process. So, if you are interested we can schedule a game for you with a DM trainer that will help you run things smoothly and take notes on what to add to the module for publication.  You will need a copy of the DMG and PHB. PM me your availability and we will get something set up for you.
Gold
Forum Champion
I would like to see the YouTube walkthrough idea. Whether the YouTube was 'for the GM eyes only' or if it could be a YouTube that had some NPC voices and Room Descriptions and Background Sounds (if one could cause the sound to transmit across your mic or such).
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The  GM Academy group was created for what you are wanting to do so they might be able to help you also.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
@Gold After my comment here, I thought the exact same thing that you said. The original idea was for DM only, but I love the idea of doing narration and NPC voices. It has me thinking about checking out the option of creating a soundboard for each module.  @Pat S. Definitely going to check that out. I like the direction that this is headed. It sounds like this might end up being a lot more interesting than we had originally anticipated.
Michael K.
Sheet Author
Translator
@Mark S. Great idea! I'll suggest the thread to potential DMs. @Pat S. Thanks for suggesting the GM Academy Group. It seems ideal for me to brush up my GMing skills.
I've been trying to teach myself I'd love some pointers.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I need a volunteer that would like to DM a one-shot game this upcoming Saturday. I will be attending the game as a DM tutor. The game being run is... The City that Was
Former post about Same thing link Just tossing this up there
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Zanthos A. said: Former post about Same thing link Just tossing this up there That thread was closed. Do you have any idea if they continued it or not?