Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Dynamic Lighting: Character sight works, but other light sources (torches) do not?

Recently, I've found an issue wherein I can set my Character Tokens to correctly interact with Dynamic Lighting, but any other elements I add Dynamic lighting to are not visible to the Character Tokens. When I create my map and designate an object token (i.e., torch) to emit light that players can see as a DM I can see the light that the torch emits in reaction to my Dynamic Lighting settings and Dynamic Lighting layer polygons and lines.  I can see the radius of light provided per my settings, and correctly modify the dim, etc. But when I CTRL-L to look as a Player Token (which has been set to Have Sight), the object token gives off no light.  - If I do not set the Player Token to radiate it's own light, then the Token is in a field of black even if it is within the radius of the object token's light. - If I do set the Player Token to radiate it's own light, then I can see the map, but the object Token does not emit its own radius of light. The Player Token should be able to see "light up ahead" for example, but they can only see within their own radius. NOTE: This function did previously work for me, and then it simply stopped one day. I've followed the suggested troubleshooting steps. (Verified problem exists in both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome is my default browser and I have verified I have not added any new extensions/add-ons and have cleared cache with no improvement)  Additionally I have attempted to troubleshoot by: Completely rebuilding the map Adding light object tokens before defining Dynamic Lighting layer barrier polygons Adding Dynamic Lighting layer barrier polygons before adding light object tokens Placing the tokens on the map layer Placing the tokens on the token layer Defining the light objects as Art. I'm completely stumped.  Thanks!
1466613495
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The CTRL-L function does not show other light sources, it only shows the token's own interactions with the light walls. If you want to test it while being able to see other light sources you can assign the token to yourself, then Rejoin as Player and you will be able to see what a player would see through the eyes of that token.
1466641275

Edited 1466641360
I was super sure that I used to be able to test other light sources. But thanks for your response! It might be worth-while to add this clarification to the documentation for the Ctrl-L testing.
1466691358
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ctrl-L did used to show you what the token would see from all light sources. I did this many times while setting up maps. And then this month it stopped working, right around the same time I started having problems with one of my players' vision not respecting DL limits.
Hmmm, I am having no difficulty using Ctrl L to see light sources from another token's point of view as long as Has sight is checked.