Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

combat in 3 dimensional space

Has anyone run an encounter or battle in 3 dimensions on roll20? aerial or underwater encounters? do you have any tips or suggestions on how to do this? I'm thinking I just may need to make multiple levels that the players can move up and down through, but if anyone has any experience with this, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Talk to me in a few weeks. My players are just about to slip beneath the waves. Someone in the API section of the forums had a script that added numbered wings indicating height to each token. You can't do that if you're not a Supporter, but you could jury-rig something like that using different coloured status dots to indicate the different heights. The only trouble there is if you have two tokens occupying the same x-y co-ordinates, but different z co-ordinates. But that's the same problem as if you have tiny, diminutive or fine creatures in the same square as other tokens.
one way you can do that is to have a height-grid on one side with a 2nd set of tokens, allowing a visual representation of where everyone is vertically. It's what I've done in the past on the rare occasion that I do tiered-combat.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
David A. said: Someone in the API section of the forums had a script that added numbered wings indicating height to each token. You can't do that if you're not a Supporter, but you could jury-rig something like that using different coloured status dots to indicate the different heights. The only trouble there is if you have two tokens occupying the same x-y co-ordinates, but different z co-ordinates. But that's the same problem as if you have tiny, diminutive or fine creatures in the same square as other tokens. Yes, I just posted this script the other day, as there are three people in my Sunday D&D 4e campaign with dragon mounts and we were running into this very problem. The thread is here . (There are two versions of the script; the first only displays one wing, but is only able to display the numbers 1-9. The second displays multiple wings to create multi-digit numbers, but may be using unintended features of the API which might go away in the future.) chris l. said: one way you can do that is to have a height-grid on one side with a 2nd set of tokens, allowing a visual representation of where everyone is vertically. It's what I've done in the past on the rare occasion that I do tiered-combat. I like the creativity! =)

Edited 1380052052
Text tool. Make a little box that says "Flying through the sky" or "10,000 leagues under the sea". Add more detail if needed.
Is the API for supporters also? or just mentors? I was thinking it would be cool if there were a 3d option for the grid, you know what I mean? On a diagonal to represent depth, then stack them- cube like. I think the height-grid on the side with a 2nd set of tokens is the simplest solution at this time though. thanks all for your input.
Gauss
Forum Champion
The API is for Mentors only. - Gauss