Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Drop-downs: Same question, same answer

Edited 1468275531
Matt
Plus
Not sure if this quite counts as a "bug," or if it's just an unfortunate and unavoidable side-effect of roll20 coding, but when several drop-down roll query prompts ask for the same thing, it will ask the question only once and produce the same answer in all locations that question appears, even if the text for options in the second drop-down query was different. For instance, if I were to make a macro that said: It takes ?{Level|1,1000|2,2250|3,3750|4,4500} XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth ?{Level|1,360|2,520|3,680|4,840} gp and I selected "1" for the level, the output would say "It takes 1000 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 1000 gp." Now, I realize this is an extension of the "all prompts for the same thing give the same result" part of roll20 prompts, which I think is good for normal ?{attack bonus|0}-type prompts, but gets weird for drop-down prompts that should be displaying different results. As a side note, if I were to put a ?{Level|1} in the prompt above, and were to select "1" from the drop-down menu, the input roll query I just added (as well as the two drop-downs) would also output "1000,"  regardless of what I typed. (Yes, I do realize that I could just change names of one and answer the drop-down twice. Yes, I am aware there could be further complications if the drop-down options in the two prompts do not match). Now, I'm not sure if it's an easy fix to say "drop-downs with the same name should be able to have you pick one option (for both drop-downs) and then produce two different outputs, and those results should be independent of each other (and possibly also of any like-named roll queries with input prompts, though this is less important)," or if this is a suitably complex issue that would be more worthy of a post in the Suggestions forum , or one that is inextricably bound with the way roll20 evaluates roll queries and therefore cannot be resolved in the way I would like at all. Anyway, just thought I would point out this small and admittedly avoidable issue and see which of these it is. Cheers! PS For thoroughness's sake, I am running Firefox 47.0.1 on Windows 7 SP1

Edited 1468279827
You could always write a longer macro, duplicating some text, but incorporating all information into each choice: It takes ?{Level|1,1000 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 360|2,2250 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 520|3,3750 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 680|4,4500 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 840} gp.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, Matt W. This is the intended behaviour of Roll Queries. (Since this is not a bug, I moved this thread to the Specific Use Questions forum.) Any suggestions regarding modifying to introducing Roll Query behaviour would, as you termed it, 'be more worthy of a post in the Suggestions forum '. (I'm sure you'd get plenty of support!) I know that you have developed your own methods of working around the behaviour you've outlined using Rollable Tables, which I'll share for any users who may be interested. I'll offer my own workarounds, too: Matt W. said: It takes ?{Level|1,1000|2,2250|3,3750|4,4500} XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth ?{Level|1,360|2,520|3,680|4,840} gp A convenient workaround for this specific example involves a bit of math: It takes [[ 1250 * ?{Level|1|2|3|4} - 250 ]] XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth [[ 1160 * ?{Level} + 200 ]] gp. ( Rabulias beat me to this!) Another workaround for this specific example involves amalgamating multiple Roll Queries into a single Roll Query. e.g. ?{Level| 1, It takes 1000 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 1,360 gp. | 2, It takes 2250 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 2,520 gp. | 3, It takes  3750 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 3,680 gp. | 4, It takes 4500 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 4,840 gp. } or It takes ?{Level| 1, 1000 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 1,360 | 2, 2250 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 2,520 | 3, 3750 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 3,680 | 4, 4500 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 4,840 } gp.
Rabulias said: You could always write a longer macro, duplicating some text, but incorporating all information into each choice: It takes ?{Level|1,1000 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 360|2,2250 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 520|3,3750 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 680|4,4500 XP to reach the next level. An item of your level is worth 840} gp. Yes. This was a simplified example just to demonstrate the point, but this could be a suitable workaround for other situations.